Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I can say HEY SIRI till I’m blue in the face but my recently updated HomePod refuses to trigger and instead triggers my iPad. Doesn’t matter if iPad is awake or asleep. Homepod looks like it’s listening but automatically make my request trigger on iPad.

What a damn mess, this is what I get for updating. Apple is slowly losing my trust on these updates.

Reactions: wolfme and hrefman

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Have you powered it down for about 30 seconds? I had the same problem and it’s been fine since doing that.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Have you powered it down for about 30 seconds? I had the same problem and it’s been fine since doing that.
I just completely reset it and set it up as new in the home app. It’s doing the same thing. If I shut off my iPad or put my devices in another room it works. But what’s the point in that. I want to play music on it and got accustomed to that for the last year and a half. My girlfriend can trigger it properly no problem. But my voice constantly defaults to an iPhone or iPad. This is now very confusing.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I was able to get it working again by letting it rest for a few minutes after unplugging. Hopefully it sticks.

Regardless, Apple has had just about everyone jumping through hoops after this stupid 13.2 homepod debacle.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Well never mind, Siri Has stopped responding on HomePod again. Asked what the weather is like this morning and my damn iPad responded.

Home app says remote access is unavailable. Can’t connect to home hub.

Anyone else having this issue On 13.2.1???

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
I’m having the same issue as well on one of my HomePods after iOS 13.2.1. I was one of the lucky ones whose HomePods didn’t brick after iOS 13.2. Everything worked fine. This just started after the .1 update. I have two HomePods and one works just fine, but the other says no response in the Home app and Hey Siri doesn’t work. It’s strange because I can still AirPlay to it just fine so it must be connected to the internet still. I’m going to try and do a manual reset today and see if that fixes the issue.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Thought I would chime in as well. HomePod and Siri have worked great for me in a house with a lot of "hey Siri" devices - up until 13.2.1. I have resorted to turning off the setting listen for hey Siri when locked in iOS. This has helped, but is annoying as everything worked flawlessly before 13.2.1. If there was a way to downgrade to the previous software, I would do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrefman

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I found the HomePods to occasionally be hard of hearing. So far the only thing that has sometimes helped me is to remove the HomePod from the Home app and re-setup the HomePod. Too bad it doesn’t solve the multi user problem.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I updated my iPhone and iPad to 13.2.2. After the update I turned on the listen for Hey Siri when locked setting in the iPhone and iPad. The HomePod seems to work as before the recent updates now. Hey Siri is behaving as expected for me again.

UPDATE: after a day, it seems that the iPhone and iPad updates have not resolved this: still having the issues. Hopefully the next HomePod OS update gets it back on track.

Last edited:

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yes, I didn't update my HomePod to 13.2 and waited for the 13.2.1 which initially seemed to work.

Unfortunately, it now seems that my HomePod has lost the ability to respond to many requests. When I ask for the weather it just says, "Something has gone wrong." When I ask about certain styles of restaurants/foods it just says, "I didn't find any matching places." When I ask simple knowledge questions it just responds, "I can't do that on the HomePod."

Thing is, all of these types of requests use to work before the update to 13.2.1. I've done power resets, software resets, disabled the personalized responses (since that was apparently causing problems for some users), and just about everything else I can think of and now the HomePod seems only about 50% of what it use to be (in terms of the ability to respond to requests). Some things still work, like podcasts, music, time of day, simple unit conversions, and the HomePod knows my current location (if I ask it responds correctly).

So, it looks like the 13.2 and 13.2.1 updates were a total disaster on the HomePod. And I've read similar reports even on Apple's Forums (particularly about the weather).

Sadly, I think Apple has almost completely orphaned the HomePod. It's one thing to stop adding features or improving the produce but it's completely unacceptable to breaks things or take away functionality.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So I thought I would give a little update.

Things kind of are working normally again. This morning I still had my iphone and ipad responding to requests but then one of the times the homepod worked.

Here is my theory:

Either one of two things is happening

1. Its just bugs that need to be fixed

2. My Frankenstein theory is that its possible they improved what device hears your voice based on tone and distance. When I was right next to my devices this morning (which were on the dining table about 10 ft from homepod) they responded to my request. However when I walked up to the homepod and asked the same thing, the homepod responded. Also when yelling or speaking loudly the homepod seems to respond.

Now in the beginning this is all how we EXPECTED things to work. But clearly we all know that homepod nearly always took spoken requested even to the annoyance of being in other rooms and homepod responding instead of the phone thats literally in your hands.

So to sum up , Apple may have changed the behavior and since we got so used to homepod ALWAYS responding, the fact not down doesn't is making us all nuts.

I encourage others to see if this is the case for them.

But who knows it could be a bug. It would be nice if Apple gave us some clarification on it.

Until then the only ways around FORCING homepod to respond is to either turn off hey siri for your devices or to keep your phone/ipad face down or a cover on it. (Per apples support doc)

Pocketsidewalk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
So I thought I would give a little update.

Things kind of are working normally again. This morning I still had my iphone and ipad responding to requests but then one of the times the homepod worked.

Here is my theory:

Either one of two things is happening

1. Its just bugs that need to be fixed

2. My Frankenstein theory is that its possible they improved what device hears your voice based on tone and distance. When I was right next to my devices this morning (which were on the dining table about 10 ft from homepod) they responded to my request. However when I walked up to the homepod and asked the same thing, the homepod responded. Also when yelling or speaking loudly the homepod seems to respond.

Now in the beginning this is all how we EXPECTED things to work. But clearly we all know that homepod nearly always took spoken requested even to the annoyance of being in other rooms and homepod responding instead of the phone thats literally in your hands.

So to sum up , Apple may have changed the behavior and since we got so used to homepod ALWAYS responding, the fact not down doesn't is making us all nuts.

I encourage others to see if this is the case for them.

But who knows it could be a bug. It would be nice if Apple gave us some clarification on it.

Until then the only ways around FORCING homepod to respond is to either turn off hey siri for your devices or to keep your phone/ipad face down or a cover on it. (Per apples support doc)

I hope your first theory is correct and another update is released soon to fix the bugs.

However, your “Frankenstein theory” has crossed my mind over the past two weeks. I’ve been conditioned to expect HomePod to take over almost all “Hey Siri” requests because that’s how it’s always worked in my experience, and because that’s what Apple says on their support site (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208472).

But lately I’ve found my iPhone responding to these requests more and more often. I thought this might have been an undocumented change from Apple by which the closest device would respond, but my iPhone often responds even when I’m physically closer to the HomePod.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
A note of hope... yesterday, randomly, the HomePod started handling multiple users by voice and has for over 24 hours. I wonder if Apple fixed something on the back end?

vvapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2017
World
„Hey Siri“ is a mess here too!
Usually my HoemPod would be the device to respond to it, but since the last update, my iPhone answers every Siri request, and my HomePod just sits there and does nothing. Only works fine when I hold a finger on my iphones microphones ? is that expected behavior?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.