Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just sat down and used my cousins Inspiron 6000 Laptop.
It is a 15.4" lcd 1200x800 display and is a new machine, bought in October.

Anyway with all the recent disgust over the lines on the 15 powerbook which arent too bad to me, I was more-over shocked to see on her laptop the exact same problem.

This is not limited to this 15.2" display, the Dell had the lines which were much clearer to see than on the pb screen, especially all over the blue windows start menu and every window that opened on the grey it had the white lines which actually made them look like the osX menu style.

It also had wavyness on the clear colours. The crazy cat picture which on the second orange (heavy banding) does'nt do anything on my mac with my colour profile, however using the same pic on her dell the banding was considerable.

This problem with laptop screens is definetly not exclusive to apple, I don't know if that make me glad, or annoyed that my PB has somthing in common with the plastic dell :rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I was on the phone to aftersales in Apple, Cork (Ireland) today chasing up a missing Airport Extreme port (damn TNT) anyway I happened to mention about the horizontal lines. He was iffy about the subject, but after a bit of friendly banter he did let out that they were aware of consumers reporting the problem, but Apple officially still have no solution and are bascially telling staff that if the customer kicks up a bit of a fuss they would replace the machine, but he agreed that he couldn't see if that would solve the problem as the replacemement would probably suffer the same.

He did tell me if I had any probs at all just to give them a call and they would sort it out for me, and not to worry about the 14 day returns policy :rolleyes:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
My first Samsung 17" LCD has these lines. My new one has them only on a certain refresh rate. When I change it to 75, they go away.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
You can't compare like that, because the Pentium M costs more than the G4 processor.

Hello? Why are Apple users paying $700 more for a cheaper CPU and an inferior screen?

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
why are we not able to change the refresh rate? is this a factor of it being an lcd? i for some reason thought i used to be able to change it on the old dell lcd i had at work...

just wondering.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
On windows with nvidia drivers you can completely customisable the hz settings, forcing say 50hz if you want. Most LCD's have a limit of either 60hz or 75hz.
Hello? Why are Apple users paying $700 more for a cheaper CPU and an inferior screen?

Because Apple doesn't like to reduce their prices, only upgrade their hardware, and they ran out of hardware to upgrade to hence the intel switch. Don't worry, x86 powerbooks will be dual core for the same price probably.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
There is no flicker or lines on my new powerbook 15.2" that I just received yesterday. The screen is absolutely beautiful and much brighter than my Pismo's screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.