Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ocnetgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2018
Oak Creek, WI
I'm with Site5 right now, but considering switching to siteground.com

Siteground seems to get good reviews and still an independent company, as far as I know. Site5 got bought out by a company that is buying a lot of other hosting companies and that usually bothers me, as service and features seem to go down.

Site ground is not the cheapest but I have been with them for several years and they have been very responsive every time I have contacted them with a question or issue.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
I have been with justhost for ages for developing sites. I run client sites on there as well. However more and more the backend connections just go down ftp, sftp, phpmyadmin just stop working. Sometimes for 30mins sometimes for 2-4 days which is crazy for professional use.

Can anyone recommend a solid webhost with top reliability and a good steady slope of price plans as traffic goes up. Needs to have :

Cpanel
php 7 or above
MySQL and phpMyAdmin
ftp pref secure

Its so hard to find this from a google as so many webhosts are in the business of lying professionally. Creating fake review sites just to push theirs to the top. Everyone promises 99.9% uptime so its hard to tell the ones that really do.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
i've always found A Small Orange to be good and very reasonably priced, but it depends how much throughput you net. Mine are Freeway and Wordpress brochures.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've been using ProISP for years, and consider them the best host in Norway: https://www.proisp.eu/web-hosting/

Cheap, reliable and offers (almost) all relevant technology (cPanel, PHP/MySQL, phpMyAdmin, FTP, Basic SSL) on all their plans, even the cheapest one. I especially love Softaculous with its one click installer for everything: https://www.softaculous.com/softwares

Edit: The link above is clean, but if you want to sign up, you may also use this referral link (giving me two months free hosting): https://www.proisp.eu/ref/17649/

Odysee

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
I’ve used BigScoots for years (had a reseller account with them) but 2 years ago moved to HawkHost just to save a little money as my projects don’t need anything special as of yet - both are amazing hosts where downtime is very rare.

What do you use?

joyjoy22

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2019
Siteground has been my favorite and I am not planning to venture into a new hosting provider yet.

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
Siteground all the way!
My experience with Siteground is five years ago great, each year worse. I found this thread because I can't stand them anymore. Buyers beware of that company. When they first opened they had tech support's number right on their main page. You'd get a human who really wanted to help. Now tech support is buried behind a myriad of DIY articles. When you do get through the support team solves nothing anymore. They send you links to more DIY articles that do not solve your problem. Tickets upon tickets and the most-important thing on their agenda is for you to rate the ticket as 5 stars. It's really gone to pot there. I was a big fan but each year the services diminish, and the dude who owns it buys another Ferrari, or whatever.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My experience with Siteground is five years ago great, each year worse. I found this thread because I can't stand them anymore. Buyers beware of that company. When they first opened they had tech support's number right on their main page. You'd get a human who really wanted to help. Now tech support is buried behind a myriad of DIY articles. When you do get through the support team solves nothing anymore. They send you links to more DIY articles that do not solve your problem. Tickets upon tickets and the most-important thing on their agenda is for you to rate the ticket as 5 stars. It's really gone to pot there. I was a big fan but each year the services diminish, and the dude who owns it buys another Ferrari, or whatever.
What service plan do you have with them? I use managed WP hosting accounts, and I use their chat function - not a long wait time and they are very friendly to deal with.

Of course that’s just my experience so not doubting your experience with them.

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
What service plan do you have with them? I use managed WP hosting accounts, and I use their chat function - not a long wait time and they are very friendly to deal with.

Of course that’s just my experience so not doubting your experience with them.
I have the Grow Big plan. I used to be able to easily get someone on the phone. It was great. Then the techs started trying to steer my wife and I to blog articles instead of helping. Then we started getting constant notices about space use exceeding limits, node, etc. We don't have that much just our email. They told us Emil was not their core business just a freebie add-on we should be thankful for. I can't even biting to detail the dozens of tickets. Just my $.02 I am trying to find some other solution.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I have the Grow Big plan. I used to be able to easily get someone on the phone. It was great. Then the techs started trying to steer my wife and I to blog articles instead of helping. Then we started getting constant notices about space use exceeding limits, node, etc. We don't have that much just our email. They told us Emil was not their core business just a freebie add-on we should be thankful for. I can't even biting to detail the dozens of tickets. Just my $.02 I am trying to find some other solution.
I have a few GoGeek plans, I think they get priority support - but I like chat, I don't like talking on the phone, mainly because of my accent.

I don't use web hosting companies for email - its so twitchy - I always pointed clients to G Suite or O365, but I get it - if they offer it, it should be supported.

Oh man, and the innodes make me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.