Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I would happily enjoy some quality hot chocolate, that is when I do not drink non-dairy chocolate shake-like things (which seems to be more common. I spike mine with cinnamon & cayenne pepper).

This thread reads deliciously though. Yum.
Cinnamon? No never. If it’s chocolate marshmallows every time! Not that I have any.
But I will be making a cup later.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I would happily enjoy some quality hot chocolate, that is when I do not drink non-dairy chocolate shake-like things (which seems to be more common. I spike mine with cinnamon & cayenne pepper).

This thread reads deliciously though. Yum.

Hot chocolate seems to require dairy; I even prepare it with hot milk (creamy and delicious - that is, raw, full fat, organic milk) on occasion.

Cinnamon? No never. If it’s chocolate marshmallows every time! Not that I have any.
But I will be making a cup later.

Marshmallows?

Yum.

Yes, very much so, but not something I do at home; this is a winter treat when I am out and about.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hot chocolate seems to require dairy; I even prepare it with hot milk (creamy and delicious - that is, raw, full fat, organic milk) on occasion.

Marshmallows?

Yum.

Yes, very much so, but not something I do at home; this is a winter treat when I am out and about.
Agreed. Same as the cream.
Just made myself a regular hot chocolate.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Here in the UK, we have the Velvetiser by Hotel Chocolat. I was initially sceptical, but the quality is unlike anything else I’ve ever tried. Incredible.
10818E4D-06B5-4433-A5F0-71CF34BFC6E5.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Here in the UK, we have the Velvetiser by Hotel Chocolat. I was initially sceptical, but the quality is unlike anything else I’ve ever tried. Incredible. View attachment 873418

But is this like the Nespresso machine whereby the single-serve sachets can only be supplied by a particular company and need to be stocked up regularly?

Very limiting if that is the case.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
But is this like the Nespresso machine whereby the single-serve sachets can only be supplied by a particular company and need to be stocked up regularly?

Very limiting if that is the case.

You can essentially use any powdered or flaked drinking chocolate with it, but I certainly have no desire to do so. The choices from Hotel Chocolat are excellent and anything but limiting. I can’t really think of another flavour I’d like and like I say, most other brands are basically just sugared crap. The 70% dark is stunning. There’s also hazelnut, clementine, salted caramel, milk, mint and maple syrup.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Marshmallows?

Yum.

I bet that hot chocolate is the bee's knees made with cream.:)

Lately when I make something like this, it's a smoothie-shake type drink with frozen bananas, a tiny bit of nut butter, filtered water and boat loads of raw cacao powder. Add some cinnamon and cayenne. It's got that silky, thick hot chocolate consistency except that it's...um, cold.o_O

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You can essentially use any powdered or flaked drinking chocolate with it, but I certainly have no desire to do so. The choices from Hotel Chocolat are excellent and anything but limiting. I can’t really think of another flavour I’d like and like I say, most other brands are basically just sugared crap. The 70% dark is stunning. There’s also hazelnut, clementine, salted caramel, milk, mint and maple syrup.

Fair enough.

But, when I prepare tea or coffee, I prefer not to be confined - or constrained - by one company's product.

A teapot can welcome any sort of tea, while my French Press can play host to every coffee on the planet.

Now, while I have long queried Nespresso's quality, I like even less their model in that one can only use a certain type of capsule in order to prepare their product.

So, thank you but no thank you.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Sceptical, I'm miffed you don't know that Bialetti make a hot chocolate machine. Breville makes a stainless steel version that's higher quality, though. I thought the Bialetti didn't sound quite right when I originally made this post, but I had to look up the Seattle Coffee Gear video to make sure I had it right, which I didn't. It was in fact the Breville model that was reviewed and recommended. I believe I mentioned the Bialetti unit at some point in the last few years.

Note: I spent a good 3 minutes wondering how to compose this because a few glasses of scotch accidentally found their way to my stomach...

Last edited:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Fair enough.

But, when I prepare tea or coffee, I prefer not to be confined - or constrained - by one company's product.

A teapot can welcome any sort of tea, while my French Press can play host to every coffee on the planet.

Now, while I have long queried Nespresso's quality, I like even less their model in that one can only use a certain type of capsule in order to prepare their product.

So, thank you but no thank you.

I think you've got yourself a bit confused. I literally just stated that you weren't constrained into using only Hotel Chocolat's products with this. You can use any powdered or flaked chocolate.

Also, this has nothing to do with, and is not remotely similar to Nespresso. It does not use capsules. And even if it did, you have long been able to buy capsules for Nespresso from just about any manufacturer that chooses to make them. Nestle lost that battle a long time ago.

You don't have to like it, but don't misconstrue what I've written.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think you've got yourself a bit confused. I literally just stated that you weren't constrained into using only Hotel Chocolat's products with this. You can use any powdered or flaked chocolate.

Also, this has nothing to do with, and is not remotely similar to Nespresso. It does not use capsules. And even if it did, you have long been able to buy capsules for Nespresso from just about any manufacturer that chooses to make them. Nestle lost that battle a long time ago.

You don't have to like it, but don't misconstrue what I've written.

Clearly, I misunderstood what you wrote, as I assumed that the device required the use of its own chocolate products before it could be used to best advantage. Evidently, this is not the case.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Massively enjoyed a hot chocolate this evening; earlier today, I had headed out to buy organic full fat milk, and some hot chocolate. And tea, and a few other bits and pieces.

My local shop had the tried and trusted favourites from childhood, Cadbury's and Bourneville; I opted for the latter, but declined to buy (something I now regret, but this shall be remedied tomorrow) a packet of tiny marshmallows.

My Le Creuset mug was first heated with boiling water (as a child, and teen, I never thought to take this step, with the result that the very concept of hot chocolate rapidly transformed into something of a misnomer, becoming lukewarm chocolate, a beverage which ran the risk of Missing The Point).

Then, mug dried, - as in bone dry, dried, a damp mug will cause cocoa powder to stick - a mix of Bourneville cocoa powder, and organic brown sugar were mixed with a little cold milk to form a paste, which was stirred briskly to ensure that no lumps remained. Meanwhile, organic full fat milk was heated to just before boiling point, and added - staring all the while - to the mug wherein rested the paste.

Okay: I had no marshmallows (that deficiency shall be remedied tomorrow), but this was delicious. Warming, soothing, tasty.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I enjoy a daily cup of hot chocolate in the cooler months.

I buy the Swiss Miss packets of powder. I warm up the la Pavoni and an electric kettle. The EK is to heat water for pre-heating the mug and I use the steam wand on the la Pavoni to froth the milk. Pour, stir and enjoy. Mmmmm

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Grand Marnier I've done before. I usually keep that to myself since many think orange is somehow an affront to anything chocolate.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I like to put a bit of Grand Marnier or Brown Sugar Bourbon in my hot chocolate.?

Grand Marnier I've done before. I usually keep that to myself since many think orange is somehow an affront to anything chocolate.

Really? One of my favourite dark chocolate flavours is orange! Who are these people?

Orange, (especially slightly bitter Seville orange) goes exceptionally well with chocolate, above all, dark chocolate.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My secret recipe to spice up any hot chocolate:

Hot chocolate + a tsp of sugar + a dash of cinnamon and peppermint

It’s delicious.

Reactions: decafjava

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Best hot chocolate I ever had was a few years ago on a cold December night after wandering around the Christmas area in Hyde Park and returning to the lobby of my hotel, I was offered a very small mug of just made rich chocolate delight. It did the trick to take off the chill.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.