Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Spiced hot chocolate isn't bad. The Mexicans have two versions, one is your traditional hot chocolate and one includes cornmeal, which I didn't take to well when I tried it. I've seen some Scandy hot chocolates that make use of certain spices like cardamom, but I've never attempted to make them or had them for that matter.

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Can't beat a good hot chocolate especially in winter. If i'm having one out then i love Costa's, I'm annoyed their not doing the orange or mint ones for Christmas this year.. But it's gotta be a good cadbury hot chocolate if it's my choice. Galaxy is good as well.

Bit of whipped cream & chocolate powder on top as well ?

Reactions: TwoH

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Spiced hot chocolate isn't bad. The Mexicans have two versions, one is your traditional hot chocolate and one includes cornmeal, which I didn't take to well when I tried it. I've seen some Scandy hot chocolates that make use of certain spices like cardamom, but I've never attempted to make them or had them for that matter.

I'd be fascinated to try a hot chocolate with cardamon; I've had tea prepared with cardamon (and other spices) in central Asia, and it was delicious.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Suffering a bit with a nasty upper respiratory tract infection. Nothing better for it than 70% dark with a hint of mint.

Attachments

• 0D238324-B195-42FC-9958-4AEB99CADCC7.jpeg
    0D238324-B195-42FC-9958-4AEB99CADCC7.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 64
  • B2399AD1-43D0-430B-9DBF-C21EAB561CF4.jpeg
    B2399AD1-43D0-430B-9DBF-C21EAB561CF4.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 78

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Maybe I've done something wrong in the past, but they melt into a puddle of mess atop the hot chocolate.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I bought some of those mini marshmallows today and am enjoying a nice cup with those on top right now. Mmmmm

Enjoy.

Must treat myself to some.

Maybe I've done something wrong in the past, but they melt into a puddle of mess atop the hot chocolate.

Have you a nice frothy, creamy top to the chocolate? Then, they shouldn't melt, except, perhaps, at their bottom.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mulled wine? I’d rather drink vinegar! Vile stuff.

Depends on how - and with what - it is made; prepared well, (and not with cheap wine) it is a fantastic drink, especially in deepest, darkest, winter.

I have a very vivid memory of strolling through the Christmas Market in Vienna (where we over-nighted, almost twenty years ago, en route back from Kosovo), glass of very welcome mulled wine in hand, admiring everything about the market.

Reactions: JamesMike

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Depends on how - and with what - it is made; prepared well, (and not with cheap wine) it is a fantastic drink, especially in deepest, darkest, winter.

I have a very vivid memory of strolling through the Christmas Market in Vienna (where we over-nighted, almost twenty years ago, en route back from Kosovo), glass of very welcome mulled wine in hand, admiring everything about the market.
Well I’m not a fan of wine. But mulled wine seems like it’s evil cousin.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well I’m not a fan of wine. But mulled wine seems like it’s evil cousin.

As it happens, I do like wine, but I tend to drink only good wines.

Re mulled wine, yes, it can be awful, as, a lot of people make the mistake of using cheap wine with which to make it; their reasoning probably runs along the lines of, after all, so much else - spices, flavours - are going in to the wine, who cares whether it is good or not, or can you even tell the difference?

Unfortunately, you can.

Having said that, I tend to prefer it either when I prepare it myself, (quality control issues loom large), or when someone from central Europe - Germany, Austria and so on - or the Nordic countries - who know all about mulled wine, will undertake the task of preparing it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hot chocolate with marshmallows, a good book and a roaring fire in the fireplace is hard to beat.

Yum.

Sounds wonderful - a perfect setting. Book, fire, hot chocolate......

I bought - splashed out on - marshmallows (those lovely tiny little ones, that go so well in hot chocolate) yesterday, when I was buying some organic milk.

Must treat myself to to hot chocolate and marshmallows, some evening - or afternoon - soon.

That does sound nice.

Agreed, it does. Very much so.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just prepared a mug of steaming hot chocolate in my pre-heated Le Creuset mug.

The hot chocolate was made with hot milk (organic, full fat) and organic brown sugar, plus - having succumbed to a recent urge to splurge on marshmallows - a fistful of gloriously little, tiny, pink and white, seriously squishy marshmallows on top.

Yum.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Nice, Sceptical!

I made a lovely rich hot chocolate yesterday evening a few hours after dinner. Good chocolate chopped finely for even melting. Full fat organic milk with about 60 ml of full fat cream added. 10 grams of finely chopped cacao butter. Blend of white and light brown sugar. No marshmallows though. I thought of dehydrating them but I can't be bothered to do so. I don't like the "fresh" marshmallows either. I'll probably order a 1-5 lb bag of dehydrated white marshmallows from a reliable source I buy ingredients from now and again.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
wow that looks seriously good - ?

I use Green and Blacks but that "Hotel Chocolat" looks like a major "level up"

Let us know what you think of it.

I have toyed with purchasing the "hot chocolate" or "cocoa" of some respected brands, and some high quality less-known new.

The problem is - and I have been advised by vendors to keep this in mind - that major 'levels up' - i.e. purer, chocolate with ever higher and increasing percentages of pure cocoa - actually require a lot of sugar to drink it as a beverage.

When nibbling a bitter, single cold square of chocolate to accompany your coffee - this is not a issue; but, as a drink, I Was Warned that even those who like biter chocolate (such as your humble scribe) may need to heed the fact that considerable quantities of sugar may be required before such a beverage may be deemed palatable.

Reactions: mikzn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Am, at present, sipping a delicious hot chocolate.

This has been prepared with full fat, organic milk and organic brown sugar, and adorned with little pink and white marshmallows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.