Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monochrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Hello,

Is there a way to mark a book as Unread or bring back the New badge on an iOS device using the built-in iBooks app?

Thank you.

Last edited:

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
You can't mark it unread per se because there isn't any mark to show it's been 'read' to begin with.
If you've got iCloud sync set up, even readding the book won't get you the New badge back.

Last edited:

Monochrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
If you've got iCloud sync set up, even reading the book won't get you the New badge back.
Thank you ashindnile for your reply.

Can I get back the New badges if I turn off iCloud sync, erase all content and settings on the iOS device and download the books again with the same Apple ID which was used to buy the books in the first place?

Monochrom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
You don't need to erase all your settings if you turn off iCloud sync and redownload. ;)
I turned off Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks and Notes settings of iBooks (These were the only settings I could find about syncing) and then deleted and re-downloaded a book that I have purchased from iBooks Store.

Unfortunately, that did not bring back the New badge.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
I turned off Sync Collections and Sync Bookmarks and Notes settings of iBooks (These were the only settings I could find about syncing) and then deleted and re-downloaded a book that I have purchased from iBooks Store.

Unfortunately, that did not bring back the New badge.
Did it take you back to the page you were previously on?

MMaxwell83

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2018
I found a solution to this for audiobooks. Open Books on your phone, tap the library tab at the bottom. Open the audio book you want to set back to "new". It will auto play. Hit pause. Scroll the time slider back to 0:00. Hit back and it should mark it as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.