Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
I have a macbook pro and a mac mini, both running Mojave. I want to screen share the mac mini from the macbook, but I’ve only figured out how to do it once I’m logged in on the mini, not already at the login screen. Currently I have to move display, mouse and keyboard between the two machines, which is pretty annoying. I only use the mini as a slave, so reaching it via screen sharing 100% of the time is ideal.

Bonus if I even can turn the mini ON from the macbook, but that I can do manually.

Anyone has any ideas if this is possible? thanks!

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
On the mini, make sure you have screen sharing or remote management (depending on how you're sharing the screen) checked. Make sure wake on LAN is checked (energy settings), or it's set to never go to sleep.

Should just work - I do this all the time.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
So you can connect to it even if it's turned off and if you're logged out?

Edit/ Apple said that I need wifi or hardwired connection via ethernet to even screenshare when being logged in on both machines (e.g. screensharing wont work with just an ethernet cable between the two machines). Does that have anything to do with it? Also, both have wifi on, but maybe that doesn't apply on the login screen? I have an ethernet cable straight from the macbook to the mac mini, but not via a router so the mac mini is wifi only for internet.

Last edited:

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
The mac mini has to be turned on. If Filevault is disabled, there is no requirement to have a user logged in.

You can absolutely screenshare over ethernet, bluetooth, wifi, firewire, and thunderbolt. Just about any networking interface will do as long as it is fast enough.

You might start from here and let us know exactly which step you're having difficulty with.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Well, it says nothing about screensharing to a turned off or not logged in computer on that page, which is the whole point of my question.

I can screenshare, just not to a computer that is logged out. I have to move my mouse and keyboard over to that computer to log in all the time which is very annoying.

Can you confirm that you are able to screenshare to a turned off computer or a computer that is not logged in?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well, it says nothing about screensharing to a turned off or not logged in computer on that page, which is the whole point of my question.

I can screenshare, just not to a computer that is logged out. I have to move my mouse and keyboard over to that computer to log in all the time which is very annoying.

Can you confirm that you are able to screenshare to a turned off computer or a computer that is not logged in?
I use screen sharing all the time to connect to computers that have no user logged in. It works fine. What you might be seeing is if a computer has just been booted, and has FileVault enabled, the prompt you see is not a login but instead a prompt to unlock the disk. The OS is not actually running at that point, so you would not be able to connect to a computer that's at that screen.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Does the unlock disk screen look exactly like the login screen? Then yes that may be the case. I can turn off FileVault if that will fix it. So no dice on screen sharing to a computer that is turned off/not logged in if FileVault is on?
[automerge]1573087866[/automerge]
Oh man, you're a hero. I've spent hours googling this and talking to apple support. Turning off FileVault did it!

I also found this little command that you can run in the terminal to skip the disk auth on restart `sudo fdesetup authrestart` However you'd have to enter it every single time so I'm just gonna skip FileVault on this guy instead.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.