Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
How come that there is no cookie pop up window on Apple.com?
They clearly use cookies according to their website!

Ninflu

macrumors regular
May 11, 2018
Well to be honest, maybe this forum is the wrong place to ask, because I assume that nobody knows that here.

Maybe you'e already accepted the cookie' popup earlier, your browser automatically accepts cookies or they (Apple) are not setting any specific cookies- as you can see there are many solutions for this question.

I suggest to contact Apple directly for such a Question.

Reactions: chabig

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Apple.com is a US based website and if your computer is hosted in the US Apple is not obligated to warn you about cookies.

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
You should be glad the Apple web site isn’t warning you about cookies. Those warning are annoying and entirely unnecessary.

If a person doesn’t know that every web site that’s any more than terribly simple is going to be using cookies, then that person isn’t going to understand being warned about cookies either.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

There are exemptions to the requirement for "cookie popups" although they are rather hand-wavy:
See: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/#exemptions (UK Information Commisioner's office)

I'd say that Apple consider the cookies they use are essential for the provision of their service and hence fall under that clause, and I'm sure they've paid some lawyers to agree with them - when it comes to enforcing data privacy, the authorities have bigger fish to fry (some of them with Apple!) than a few edge-case cookie dialogues. We're talking Apple, here, too - compulsive secret-keepers - so I doubt that they are actually gathering data to sell to third parties.

If you're not using cookies to profile users and/or sell their data to advertisers then trying to work within the "exempt" uses is a good thing rather than helping to normalise the idea that every website you visit will require you to accept T&Cs without stopping to read them. Unfortunately, too many of the sources of information out there are from people trying to sell you "compliance solutions".

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I mean, what major website isn't using cookies these days

true..... However any website also related to privacy (i.e Apple), i would ague has a tendacy to use "less" cookies over the others that just 'don't care' either..

I think uBlock origin detected the most amount of harvesting/linking from Youtube.... Not surprisingly..
WHo really knows what cookies THEY use them for compared to Apple which would hve better policy becaus eof the naature they keep saying..

Same goes for privacy based websites like VPN's

I dunno if that would reflect less cookies,, but that's how i link it to. Lok at the business and if it's privacy related, then assume less cookies.
May not always be true.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
In
There are exemptions to the requirement for "cookie popups" although they are rather hand-wavy:
See: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/#exemptions (UK Information Commisioner's office)

I'd say that Apple consider the cookies they use are essential for the provision of their service and hence fall under that clause, and I'm sure they've paid some lawyers to agree with them - when it comes to enforcing data privacy, the authorities have bigger fish to fry (some of them with Apple!) than a few edge-case cookie dialogues. We're talking Apple, here, too - compulsive secret-keepers - so I doubt that they are actually gathering data to sell to third parties.

If you're not using cookies to profile users and/or sell their data to advertisers then trying to work within the "exempt" uses is a good thing rather than helping to normalise the idea that every website you visit will require you to accept T&Cs without stopping to read them. Unfortunately, too many of the sources of information out there are from people trying to sell you "compliance solutions".
interesting, Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.