Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi,

How do I add extra address lines in Contacts under iOS 7.1.2?

I find two Street lines woefully inadequate.

Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can't. What kind of address requires more than two street lines? If you have one (probably rare) I suggest you put it in the Notes section.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Many residents/companies do have addresses that you wouldn't write out on just two address lines if you were labeling a box or an envelope. I've noticed it on some/most of my foreign contacts. Also, businesses in the US often have complicated addresses.

Unfortunately, I end up cramming the info onto the two lines.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Apple's Contacts apps (iOS and OS X) use CardDAV, which is quite flexible IMO for data input. And, keep in mind that if a contact has an Exchange-formatted "card" or an account is an Exchange IMAPI account, your options will be far different (and IMO quite constrained)...

CardDAV has two input "lines" for addresses, but also supports certain radix marks - such as the comma as a field delimiter. Don't think in terms of lines for CardDAV - think in terms of data fields. One can add a field for a "suite" or "office number" by adding a comma followed by the "#" character or "Ste." text string. In the OS X Contact app, the second "line" is effected by typing Option-Enter at the end of the first address "line".

There's lots of other types of input and field delimiters that can be used effectively in CardDAV apps, but I'll leave that all to you.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Just replying to my own thread in case anyone else tries to figure this out.

You can add additional lines (possibly as many as you want, I have tested the upper limit) if you use the OS X Contacts app within Mavericks. Then you can sync this data across to your iPhone/iPad.

SunWolf

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Just replying to my own thread in case anyone else tries to figure this out.

You can add additional lines (possibly as many as you want, I have tested the upper limit) if you use the OS X Contacts app within Mavericks. Then you can sync this data across to your iPhone/iPad.

Interesting. How do you do that, Steve?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Interesting. How do you do that, Steve?

Well... it was a pretty old post but you can still do it under Mojave. Just edit the contact and in the address press the return key after each line. You can add as many lines as you need, this syncs across to iOS.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I can sync it via macOS but can't figure out how to edit anything past the second address line. This prevents me from using a more than two-address line contact as a future template for others (duplicating it by sending it to myself).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.