Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZRob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Hi all,

I have a simple request: I just want to make it so that one folder on my Mac (called "Lab Results") gets automatically updated in a mirrored folder on my ICloud Drive. I know there is an option to synch "Desktop and Documents" but that seems like so much more than I want. I don't want to link all of my Desktop and Documents - just one folder.

Am I missing something or is that not an option under Mojave or Catalina? I'm on Mojave now.

Thanks in advance,
Rob from AZ

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Turn on “Sync Desktop and Documents” but only keep the lab results in your documents folder. Move everything else to a new (different) folder in your home directory.

AZRob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Turn on “Sync Desktop and Documents” but only keep the lab results in your documents folder. Move everything else to a new (different) folder in your home directory.
So basically I would need to move all of my Desktop files, which is a lot, to a different folder. I guess I could create one called Desktop2.

Seems cumbersome! Couldn't they have given us more ability to granulate here?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hi all,

I have a simple request: I just want to make it so that one folder on my Mac (called "Lab Results") gets automatically updated in a mirrored folder on my ICloud Drive. I know there is an option to synch "Desktop and Documents" but that seems like so much more than I want. I don't want to link all of my Desktop and Documents - just one folder.

Am I missing something or is that not an option under Mojave or Catalina? I'm on Mojave now.

Thanks in advance,
Rob from AZ
Simple request deserves a simple answer.
MacDropAny a free utility app does what you want very nicely.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK

You don't need to switch on Sync Desktop and Documents. Just drag the folder into iCloud Drive in Finder.

If you want to link to that folder elsewhere, you can create a symlink using cmd+opt+<drag folder> (or the terminal, if you're happy with the command line).

Reactions: colodane and mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Like auxbuss says You don’t need to switch on “desktop and documents”

Just open the iCloud Drive folder and add a new folder

Change the name to “lab results” and add the files in that folder

They will be available to your Mac and any other iOS device that is connected to iCloud such as a iPhone or iPad also you can also login to iCloud.com on any browser and see the documents

Works the same on Mojave or Catalina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.