Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Kudos to Apple for this. I think that I'll just use LaTeX though.

Sure. If you're very familiar with LaTeX and doing something big, it's the best approach to just go full in. But if you're just doing something quick, or you're still learning, having Pages as sort of a place in between where you can still express your math with LaTeX is awesome. I use it a lot for weekly uni reports - also with iCloud collaboration it's great.

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
I got softmaker office because is light and compatible with Microsoft office...

NoNig

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
So which do you use and what is the reason?

I primarily use two; Word and Sublime Text

As a teacher, we get access to an Office 365 subscription that we can install on up to 5 separate devices - our supplied work PC being one. I have a MacBook Pro I use for both work and as a private PC. I also have a desktop PC and used to use a 2012 Mac Mini also. That's four devices, and quite possible more than most would need within reason.

I haven't given Pages, or iWork for that matter, a fair chance to be honest. But since most corporate/government is run on Microsoft Products (Word, Excel, Outlook and so on) it's never been a given/necessity. Some of my students use iWorks and it seems to be quite good. Maybe I'll get around and try it out sometime.

Sublime is for 'everything else'. Quick notes or summaries - that doesn't necessitate firing up Word - or coding in Javascript. To be honest: The one I use most from day to day is without a doubt Sublime: text editing/quick notes, regular expressions and of course coding.

Word is only for reading students' papers and forms from our administration that doesn't fit well with the email-format.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I got softmaker office because is light and compatible with Microsoft office...

It's mostly compatible. I'll admit it's a great Office substitute for the price but I had lots of formatting difficulty using it to open some of my Word documents. Margins were off and many fonts were missing. Long Office documents had to be reformatted. I still have my copy but have decided to buy an Office 365 subscription instead.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I've used SoftMaker Office, both free and paid, but it never saw all my fonts - it doesn't like .ttc font suitcases. (Many of the Mac system fonts are in .ttc format. Go figure.) I've used Mellel, but I'm not in academics; it's really powerful, and the learning curve seems like it would be very long. I've used both LibreOffice and NeoOffice, but having to open everything every time you want to use it made it slow, and the interface really isn't like a Mac, though it's noticeably better with NeoOffice. Haven't used Office365, though.

I've settled on Nisus Writer Pro and Numbers. I've been cross-platform throughout my computing life, and I don't know if that's going to stop now. Nisus uses RTF as its file format, and practically every word processor on every platform can read RTF. Does everything I need it to do, and it's really fast. If you use their headers, it creates a Table of Contents with them behind the scenes. Thinks and works solely in the Mac environment, too. Numbers has online converters if I ever need to switch to another platform. And RTF and Numbers are first class citizens with EagleFiler, another very large consideration.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Letters docs and such aside, for text manipulation, I go with BBEdit.
When you need odd sorts or indents etc. It's the way to fly.
Makes a good adjunct for Libre office.

Xcode editor isn't bad either, but the highlights and stuff tend to get in the way of straight manipulation.

Reactions: pshufd

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I've used SoftMaker Office, both free and paid, but it never saw all my fonts - it doesn't like .ttc font suitcases. (Many of the Mac system fonts are in .ttc format. Go figure.) I've used Mellel, but I'm not in academics; it's really powerful, and the learning curve seems like it would be very long. I've used both LibreOffice and NeoOffice, but having to open everything every time you want to use it made it slow, and the interface really isn't like a Mac, though it's noticeably better with NeoOffice. Haven't used Office365, though.

I've settled on Nisus Writer Pro and Numbers. I've been cross-platform throughout my computing life, and I don't know if that's going to stop now. Nisus uses RTF as its file format, and practically every word processor on every platform can read RTF. Does everything I need it to do, and it's really fast. If you use their headers, it creates a Table of Contents with them behind the scenes. Thinks and works solely in the Mac environment, too. Numbers has online converters if I ever need to switch to another platform. And RTF and Numbers are first class citizens with EagleFiler, another very large consideration.

doesn't the formatting gets messed up when opening RTF files in different applications?

Reactions: dk001

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
doesn't the formatting gets messed up when opening RTF files in different applications?

If your document uses complex formatting, then that's a distinct possibility. Most of my documents are scrapes of websites using Reader Mode in Safari; they're pretty simple, hence not much possibility of being ill-formatted if opened elsewhere.

But that's true no matter what file format you use if you open it in another program that translates to a different default format.

Reactions: Partron22

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Whats the difference between Libre and Open office? both seem very similar.

Whats the advantage of LaTeX? I thought it was mainly used because its easier to write math formulas using it.
I know others have answered you, but I wanted to add the reason the LibreOffice was created.

StarOffice is the original program that existed before OpenOffice and LibreOffice. OpenOffice.org split off of that project in order to make an open sourced version of the software. OpenOffice.org was maintained by SunMicrosystems. When Sun was bought by Oracle, many people feared that it would not remain open source, or that it would get a stricter license, so it was forked into what we now have as LibreOffice.

They share a common code ancestry, but they diverged. LibreOffice is more actively developed at this point, and I consider it to be the main development branch of the StarOffice descendants.

As far as the original question, the editor I use depends on the point of the document.

Internal notes, journals, documentation (Things I write for myself) -> Emacs

External documents (Things I'll send to people) -> MS Word 2016 (Or LibreOffice if I'm on a computer with no MS license)

Documents with Photos (Things I'll save as a PDF) -> InDesign / Affinity Publisher

I rarely use Pages. I want to like it, but I usually get frustrated when I use it an turn to one of the above programs. o_O

Reactions: MisterSavage

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I use 365 word if i need to interact with the microsoft world.

Pages for my resume`

A text editor (notepad/vi/atom/etc. as available) for everything else.

If your document doens't look reasonably decent in plain type, the problem isn't your word processor :D

(edit: math formulas, etc. are a niche use-case. latex if you need that. but 99.9% don't).

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Softmaker and WPS are most confusing to me, not only are they paid products but you can have MS office with 1TB storage for as low as $7/m not to mention the free version. There are also other free alternatives like Apple Pages, LibreWrite, OpenWriter. Not sure how they make enough money to keep a whole company working on a complex suite of software.

Eliott69

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2019
Softmaker and WPS are most confusing to me, not only are they paid products but you can have MS office with 1TB storage for as low as $7/m not to mention the free version. There are also other free alternatives like Apple Pages, LibreWrite, OpenWriter. Not sure how they make enough money to keep a whole company working on a complex suite of software.
For example businesses. Especially in Europe with their high standard data protection laws, businesses like to keep their data in-house and like to run their own company cloud.

For my company I would love to be able to buy software the old way: high one-time purchase and subsequent reasonable update prices, no nudging, no forced cloud, no regular license fees. You owned the software (and were allowed to resell it – at least in Europe).

There is no real solution to this, as the combination of open source software and software piracy lead to low entry price & forced licensing models. This has ruined the market for software development. Look at the Affinity products: if they charged $ 100 or $ 150 for Photo, they could beat Adobe by having a better product – but users would not be willing to pay that, even though it is a perpetual outright purchase (Photoshop used to be around $ 750 to $ 1000).

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Softmaker and WPS are most confusing to me, not only are they paid products but you can have MS office with 1TB storage for as low as $7/m not to mention the free version.
There is a free version of SoftMaker. I am not aware of a free version of MS Office.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
For example businesses. Especially in Europe with their high standard data protection laws, businesses like to keep their data in-house and like to run their own company cloud.

For my company I would love to be able to buy software the old way: high one-time purchase and subsequent reasonable update prices, no nudging, no forced cloud, no regular license fees. You owned the software (and were allowed to resell it – at least in Europe).

There is no real solution to this, as the combination of open source software and software piracy lead to low entry price & forced licensing models. This has ruined the market for software development. Look at the Affinity products: if they charged $ 100 or $ 150 for Photo, they could beat Adobe by having a better product – but users would not be willing to pay that, even though it is a perpetual outright purchase (Photoshop used to be around $ 750 to $ 1000).

Does that mean your company does not connect to the internet? Since they want everything internal then software is not connected to the internet, if it is, then MS Office would work just as good. Plus there is always LibreOffice to do that.

There is a free version of SoftMaker. I am not aware of a free version of MS Office.

The Web version is free

Tajhad

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Newcastle
Pages works fantastically if you don't need to work in a MS environment.
I use it as my go to word processor. I did even use it when I worked in a MS work place ( probably 10 yrs).
Of I need to share ( Pages will do this as well) I mainly used Google Docs. Am trying to eliminate Google due to security issues.
So it’s basically Pages, Apple Notes and Scrivener for my fiction writing. I have to admit I am still using Scrivener but don't really know how to use it fully - but perseving.

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
It boggles my mind that Apple made and maintains Pages. Pages has to be one of the most unintuitive productivity apps ever created. It’s hard to believe that Apple would put their name on it.

The way I choose my word processor is a bit of a “victim of circumstances” situation. I need Excel because I work with people who work in Excel. The cheapest way to get Excel is an Office 365 subscription, which gets me the majority of the Microsoft Office Suite. At that point, I already have MS Word, which I would prefer to basically anything.

That said, if I didn’t specifically need Excel, LibreOffice is my preferred productivity suite. Its word processor, Writer, has everything you need and it’s intuitive enough (way more than Apple Pages).

Reactions: macintoshmac

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It boggles my mind that Apple made and maintains Pages. Pages has to be one of the most unintuitive productivity apps ever created. It’s hard to believe that Apple would put their name on it.

The way I choose my word processor is a bit of a “victim of circumstances” situation. I need Excel because I work with people who work in Excel. The cheapest way to get Excel is an Office 365 subscription, which gets me the majority of the Microsoft Office Suite. At that point, I already have MS Word, which I would prefer to basically anything.

That said, if I didn’t specifically need Excel, LibreOffice is my preferred productivity suite. Its word processor, Writer, has everything you need and it’s intuitive enough (way more than Apple Pages).

You what? Pages is more intuitive than Word and Libre. I like Libre, but when it comes to intuitive, Pages does take the crown. Pages is overall fantastic actually. I use it all the time, and LaTeX support makes it pretty useful even for a lot of my university work. Including great collaboration features. The iWork suite in general is fantastic.

Reactions: egrimo

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
LibreOffice can open, edit and create Excel 2007-2019 xlsx files. It's there something missing compared to Microsoft's Excel?

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.