Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I purchased my first AW, a S4 SBSS in March 2019. I upgraded to the S5 SBSS in October 2019 b/c of the AOD. Upgrading yearly, can get rather costly, given the low trade in value. How long can I expect good performance from my current watch, before I seriously need to consider a new Apple Watch?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'm still rocking my Series 0 in silver stainless steel. Looks and works great still. Its battery is starting to show signs of age but there are shops that will replace it for less than $100, if I choose not to upgrade it.

Based on my own consideration, I'd say your question boils down to:

• New features. Per your post, you upgraded after six months because of a new feature you wanted, not for any lack of performance. That's not a criticism-- if you can afford it and make use of the new features, go for it. Apple is constantly developing compelling new features. The advancements in the Watch versus my venerable Series 0 are startling. I haven't upgraded yet only because I'm cheap. But as my battery starts to show its age, I'm keeping an eye out for deals.
  • Software support. Updates will eventually stop coming, as they did for my Series 0. But, note: it works just fine. There are just updated apps I can't have and features it doesn't possess.
  • Physical condition. The stainless steel models with their sapphire glass are almost indestructible! I'm tough on watches, and my previous titanium Casio (which cost about as much as an entry level Watch) looks like it's been through a war. Not my Series 0. Looks like new still. When I replace it, I might go for the aluminum model just so I don't feel so guilty upgrading for new features a couple years hence. Not only would it be less money, but it'll look like it needs replacing. If I get another SS model I'll feel traitorous replacing it before it fails!
So "good performance" will probably not be the gating item for your decision a year or three down the road. And that's just fine. The Watch will be performing well. But perhaps you will value other aspects of a new Watch at that time. There's a reason Apple Stores see folks lining up days before a major product release.

Incidentally, some have griped about the Series 5 having insufficient new features versus Series 4. They note the extra storage and the always-on display, but often missed is the 5's cellular model's new ability to issue emergency alerts even if you don't activate it, and even in most international travel. That's a huge benefit! And a justifiable reason for a Series 4 wearer to upgrade, IMHO. More info: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206983 and https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability/#branded-international-emergency

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I'm still rocking my Series 0 in silver stainless steel. Looks and works great still. Its battery is starting to show signs of age but there are shops that will replace it for less than $100, if I choose not to upgrade it.

Based on my own consideration, I'd say your question boils down to:

• New features. Per your post, you upgraded after six months because of a new feature you wanted, not for any lack of performance. That's not a criticism-- if you can afford it and make use of the new features, go for it. Apple is constantly developing compelling new features. The advancements in the Watch versus my venerable Series 0 are startling. I haven't upgraded yet only because I'm cheap. But as my battery starts to show its age, I'm keeping an eye out for deals.
  • Software support. Updates will eventually stop coming, as they did for my Series 0. But, note: it works just fine. There are just updated apps I can't have and features it doesn't possess.
  • Physical condition. The stainless steel models with their sapphire glass are almost indestructible! I'm tough on watches, and my previous titanium Casio (which cost about as much as an entry level Watch) looks like it's been through a war. Not my Series 0. Looks like new still. When I replace it, I might go for the aluminum model just so I don't feel so guilty upgrading for new features a couple years hence. Not only would it be less money, but it'll look like it needs replacing. If I get another SS model I'll feel traitorous replacing it before it fails!
So "good performance" will probably not be the gating item for your decision a year or three down the road. And that's just fine. The Watch will be performing well. But perhaps you will value other aspects of a new Watch at that time. There's a reason Apple Stores see folks lining up days before a major product release.

Incidentally, some have griped about the Series 5 having insufficient new features versus Series 4. They note the extra storage and the always-on display, but often missed is the 5's cellular model's new ability to issue emergency alerts even if you don't activate it, and even in most international travel. That's a huge benefit! And a justifiable reason for a Series 4 wearer to upgrade, IMHO. More info: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT206983 and https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability/#branded-international-emergency

Thanks

Now that I have both an iPhone and an AW, as daily devices, it might be harder to justify annual upgrades. It was easier when I only had the iPhone.

While I also have an iPad Pro (2018) and an iMac (2017), I am far less concerned about keeping them current, then I am about my phone and watch.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
To be clear, Emergency SOS calling is available on Watch Series 3 - 5 with LTE chips in the US even if you don't have a carrier plan. This is also the case with all cell phones. The enhancement with Watch 5 relevant to SOS calling is that it will work locally in countries you are traveling in other than those specifically noted by Apple as being not available.

Regarding performance, I don't have as much experience as @sjinsjca does. My first AW was Series 2 and it's still quite serviceable but shows signs of age in a couple of ways. First, there are some native apps which load slowly and updates take forever. Yes there's the trick of disabling bluetooth and using WiFi to upgrade which helps but it still takes much longer than Series 4. Second is the display. While still perfectly usable, the increased and improved size on Watch 4 makes it much less desirable for me to use. So this ties in with the features aspect mentioned.

Watch has come a long way but is still maturing as a product. I think there is a lot more Apple can do with hardware and sensors that will be more impactful to motivate users to upgrade. Personally, I'm good with every couple of years on Watch. That's the frequency I used to upgrade my phones but cell phones in general have become a mature product. My current iPhone is the 8+ and I am still using it, loving it and don't in any way feel like I have a product that is lacking anything despite the technology and features the new phones provide that mine does not.

One thing about software, I'm still on Watch OS 5 because I haven't updated to iOS 13 and won't until it becomes much more stable. With the introduction of the Watch App Store, there are apps specifically and currently in development for Watch OS 6 that I cannot take advantage of. I don't rush into software upgrades after having been burned by iOS 11. So as long as you stay on a good stable version and don't much care about latest and greatest you should be OK for years to come. Upgrade when it makes sense based on your needs.

As an aside, it's a vicious cycle. AirPods Pro for example REQUIRE iOS 13. I'm not upgrading to iOS 13 as I mentioned previously, so for me that means holding back on updates and product. I found having to use iOS 11 on my launch day 8+ frustrating so that has me re-thinking when I buy new Apple Products. Where I'm going with this, without diving deep into an entirely different topic is, latest and greatest doesn't always necessarily mean it's better than what you have now.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Cliff Notes...

1. you can certainly expect to be able to use the watch for 4 years or more. The or more depends on how well the battery lasts, it’s possible by then it might not make it a day and you’ll want to upgrade.

2. you will very likely get watchos updates for at least another 3+ years although each year less and less of the new os features will be available to your watch.

3. your biggest source of temptation to upgrade will likely begin in 2 years, 2021, when the Apple Watch is most likely to see its next “generational” design change like what occurred with the series 4 last year. These jumps are bigger than the normal year to year and often drive the desire to upgrade.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
You can expect to be using for years and I’m in the same boat as you. I wasn’t super excited for the series 5 this year but I bought a Space Black titanium while I was in San Francisco back in October but ended up returning it because I didn’t want to spend that much money on a watch again so soon and this year I just wasn’t as excited about the 5 as much as I was last year about the series 4.

If the resale value on the steel watches and up were better it’d be an easier pill to swallow to upgrade every year but when you’re fighting to get at least $300 for a watch you spent $800+ on it’s hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.