Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Ex Canon DSLR's sold my original DSLR and gifted my second to my future daughter-in-law several years ago once I moved to Sony.

Full Frame E-Mounts
16-35 f4 Zeiss
50mm 1.8
24-70mm f2.8 GMaster
85mm 1.4 GMaster
90mm macro 2.8 G
100mm 2.8 STF GMaster (my bokeh master lens)
- This is closer to a f5.6 in reality due to the built-in apodization filter but the background blur is ridiculously smooth because of it. f8 and higher. It also has built-in macro functionality to decrease focus distance by about a foot closer to the lens, a little less than 2 feet.

APS-C E-Mount
18-105mm f4 G

Camera Bodies:
a6000 (not in picture)
a7r2 (now my wife's)
a7r3 (now backup body)
- with Sony Grip
a7r4 (my main)
- with Sony Grip

the next lens on my short list is the 70-200mm f.28 GMaster then 24mm 1.4 GMaster.

IMG_0108.jpeg

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm glad you finally accept that your addiction requires a special category

Yeah typo....

I have accepted that I have a problem with a loose wallet when it comes to shiny things in glass cabinets. :-(
[automerge]1571155526[/automerge]
The old Pentax stuff was superb; I've used the Pentax-K and it is a lovely camera, while my first SLR was a lovely little Pentax ME Super.

More Leica lenses. Sigh.

Wonderful.

For now, I have two, a Summilux 50mm (f.1.4) and a Summilux 35mm (f1.4); a 75mm or a 90mm will be added - in due course - to that collection.

Honestly, I adore the 50mm Summilux f1.4 but it and the 35 are just getting monstrously expensive and the thought of having to replace them makes me want to cry. That’s why I have other 50s, trying to wean myself off the Summilux’s. All others are compared to the 50. I am 75mm curious. Have a 90 and it is a pig to focus without a magnifier on the viewfinder. When you nail the frame though.... oh mamma.... (rare in my case so still a novelty... :) )

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My signature pretty much covers everything; I've been very lazy of late and use the RX100 as a carry everywhere, the FZ1000 I take when I think there's a shooting chance because the quality of output is so good, and the Nikon mostly is there for special shots that would benefit from wide open primes.
Actually, my Tamron 18-270 is a very good example and functions well as an all-in-one lens.

My infrared camera is used very sporadically and needs a trip out soon ;)

Lastly (nearly forgotten), I have my dad's 1950's Lordomat C35 rangefinder, with a half exposed film waiting for me to finish it off before developing, and 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm Travenar lenses.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you get scans of your film, or just prints? I would love to see your work. :)

Thank you.

For now, just prints, I'm afraid.

I have yet to graduate to anything digital.

However, my mother passed away last December after a long decline - I have had responsibility for her life and her care for the past decade - and I haven't shot anything since then; in fact, I have found it difficult to take pleasure in the sort of things I took an intense pleasure in, earlier, and the poor Leica still sits on the sofa in my study, beside the lovely Garfield my brother gave me years ago, pleading to be taken out to play.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kenoh and mollyc

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

However, my mother passed away last December after a long decline - I have had responsibility for her life and her care for the past decade - and I haven't shot anything since then; in fact, I have found it difficult to take pleasure in the sort of things I took an intense pleasure in, earlier, and the poor Leica still sits on the sofa in my study, beside the lovely Garfield my brother gave me years ago, pleading to be taken out to play.

I put down my camera for many years after our daughter died. My wife is much wiser than I and knew I needed to take back something of myself. Our daughter was very joyful and I started shooting again as a way of honoring her memory. Because of that mindset, I am able to enjoy it now more than ever before.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I put down my camera for many years after our daughter died. My wife is much wiser than I and knew I needed to take back something of myself. Our daughter was very joyful and I started shooting again as a way of honoring her memory. Because of that mindset, I am able to enjoy it now more than every before.

What a lovely, a great and uplifting and life affirming post - and thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: deep diver

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Honestly, I adore the 50mm Summilux f1.4 but it and the 35 are just getting monstrously expensive and the thought of having to replace them makes me want to cry. That’s why I have other 50s, trying to wean myself off the Summilux’s. All others are compared to the 50. I am 75mm curious. Have a 90 and it is a pig to focus without a magnifier on the viewfinder. When you nail the frame though.... oh mamma.... (rare in my case so still a novelty... :) )

I love the summilux f1.4 lenses - what they allow me to do with natural light indoors - and I love the small size and ergonomic feel of the camera, and those exquisite and precise lenses.

Ah, will take that warning about the 90mm to heart; this scribe wears glasses, (serious glasses), and, as the Leica rangefinder is manual focus, the very imperfect lenses in my eyes might find that a challenge too far.

Perhaps, a 75mm, then.....

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I put down my camera for many years after our daughter died. My wife is much wiser than I and knew I needed to take back something of myself. Our daughter was very joyful and I started shooting again as a way of honoring her memory. Because of that mindset, I am able to enjoy it now more than every before.
I 100% understand this. Practically the exact same story for me. Almost 3 years ago. Thank You for sharing.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you.

I am sorry for your loss (and that of @deep diver and @mmomega). I know of several photographers who send out their film for scans and prints, and then they can do some tweaking in post on the scans. But they also share a lot on Instagram, so it's convenient to have the scans done for them, and they work with labs to find a good balance of processing so they have to do very little in post at all.

I hope your camera brings you joy again.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I put down my camera for many years after our daughter died. My wife is much wiser than I and knew I needed to take back something of myself. Our daughter was very joyful and I started shooting again as a way of honoring her memory. Because of that mindset, I am able to enjoy it now more than ever before.

Beautiful.
[automerge]1571231703[/automerge]
I 100% understand this. Practically the exact same story for me. Almost 3 years ago. Thank You for sharing.

I need to go hug my daughters. Brb

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I love the summilux f1.4 lenses - what they allow me to do with natural light indoors - and I love the small size and ergonomic feel of the camera, and those exquisite and precise lenses.

Ah, will take that warning about the 90mm to heart; this scribe wears glasses, (serious glasses), and, as the Leica rangefinder is manual focus, the very imperfect lenses in my eyes might find that a challenge too far.

Perhaps, a 75mm, then.....

I have recently started with learner glasses but I think I will be into serious ones soon. The 90 is tough. 75 will be better. You shoot film though so you can put slightly soft down to 'art' so dont over think it. I also have a floater right in the centre of my dominant eye. That will be fun later in life.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have recently started with learner glasses but I think I will be into serious ones soon. The 90 is tough. 75 will be better. You shoot film though so you can put slightly soft down to 'art' so dont over think it. I also have a floater right in the centre of my dominant eye. That will be fun later in life.

Well, when funds and finance allow, I will - or intend to - migrate to a M10 at some stage and thereby make the leap to digital photography.

Last edited:
Reactions: mollyc

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I've got both the 90 and 75 , go with the 75 if you are , like me , above a certain age ,(I'm 70) , or just have 'old eyes'.Compare the inner focusing squares with the lens frame lever in the 50 and 28 mm positions . The 50 inner lines equate to 75mm , the 28's to 90 . Whole lot easier for me to focus @ 75 .

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
1. Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
2. Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
3. Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
4. Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
5. Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8
6. Sony FE 85mm F1.8
7. Sony FE 50mm F1.8

My ranking is what I use the most to the lens I use the least. Obviously I'm a Sony user, but I'm not a fanboy as I just went with one system as I have two camera bodies the Sony A7RIII and the Sony A9. I didn't want to have two different systems as the lenses are expensive as it is. I have been hemming and hawing about selling my 100-400mm lens, but I like the portability and in my opinion is sharper focusing than the 200-600mm lens. However, the 200-600mm is great on a gimbal for birds-in-flight photography and the 1.4x teleconverter give the lens a little extra reach. The 90mm Macro lens I absolutely love and the sharpness of the lens just blows me away. If anything the lens is too sharp when doing portrait photography, if that is even possible. It sure does show every nook and cranny of a person's face which sometimes isn't a good thing especially when I'm taking a selfie. ? The bottom two lenses I don't use too much as I'm mostly do wildlife photography, but they come in handy from time to time. The Batis lenses are really good, but I probably would buy the Sony equivalent lenses as the AF I think would be faster if I had to do over again. I plan & hope to have this camera gear for years to come and now I can say I can really start concentrating on my photography.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hmm. I need a spreadsheet (really) to keep track, so I guess that says it all.

I own a dozen 50mm primes alone. Mostly Pentax K, old Russian lenses, Takumar M42 mounts.

I do a lot of shopping at Goodwill. Stuff often comes in packages, so you tend to end up with a lot of extras.

Reactions: kenoh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mine are in my signature, but here you go.

Nikon D750
Nikon D7100
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8,
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon14-24mm f2.8
Nikon105mm f2.8 Macro
Nikon 200-500mm f5.6
Nikon 50mm 1.8
Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye
Nikon 70-300mm

Notice the theme? I was very lucky to pay a fraction of what most of those lenses are worth.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wonder if he has to hide it in the attic and sneak up there in the middle of the night to look at it.
He's switched to Nikon and bought a Z6 (lucky boy!)
[automerge]1571355990[/automerge]
Well, - perhaps fortunately - I have no Mr SS to query or dispute my expenditure.

However, for now, until fresh foreign adventures play a role in my life, it will not play host to my summiluxes either.
No need for that. Get the Tube into London and sort that lot out instead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.