Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many are Prime members?

• Me!

Votes: 153 82.7%
  • Not me..

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Thinking about it..

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Amazon is replaceable and ebay can sometimes do a better job.
with on-line now charging sales tax on-line shopping went from peacock to feather duster

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Amazon is replaceable and ebay can sometimes do a better job.
with on-line now charging sales tax on-line shopping went from peacock to feather duster

I’ve always had to pay sales tax when I shop online. Nothing new there.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Amazon Prime really enables some bad behavior (procrastination) with me and the holidays. I usually do my Christmas shopping at the last minute.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i just dont see anything special about Amazon.
just another retail option

you can tell i am not an Amazon fan boy
i only represent myself.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Amazon Prime really enables some bad behavior (procrastination) with me and the holidays. I usually do my Christmas shopping at the last minute.

Haha, me too. But I have saved the items I want to purchase to my 'save for later' list so all I have to do is just purchase it. I want to try to get it done early this year.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Have to say, I’ve done a majority of my Christmas shopping on Amazon. love how quick it is and I don’t have to worry about things being sold out in stores or crazy crowds. Only go to the stores for the accessories like gift bags, etc

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Happy New Year everyone! I think I have definitely paid off my membership already with all the purchases I’ve made.. so convienient. Hope they don’t raise the price this year.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Happy New Year!

I’ve been a prime member since, well, a long time ago.

I also just signed up for the AP credit card. Five percent on Amazon purchases definitely helps.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Amazon is kicking retail butt. I hope we see some real competition. They are already too big, they take a toll on their employees, but they’ve transformed home delivery into unbelievable convenience, fast delivery, easy returns, in many cases free returns, the world of retail at your finger tips. Why chose between 1-3 items and run all over town to do it, when you can choose between 10-100 items. There is no going back.

Happy New Years! ?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Amazon is kicking retail butt. I hope we see some real competition. They are already too big, they take a toll on their employees, but they’ve transformed home delivery into unbelievable convenience, fast delivery, easy returns, in many cases free returns, the world of retail at your finger tips. Why chose between 1-3 items and run all over town to do it, when you can choose between 10-100 items. There is no going back.

Happy New Years! ?

I agree! And I think some retailers are already catching on by “price matching” with Amazon, but that’s about the extent of it. There are some things you just can’t find in the stores that they sell on there.

Reactions: Huntn

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Think it is canceled again for us for now. We usually order things in spurts and don't really use the other extras. We don't order often enough to do yearly. If you order enough and would use the other perks, it is definitely worth it. Just worth it for the shipping when we do order things. Something I remember more every time we order from someone else, and even the time to ship is ridiculously slow on top of however long it takes to from shipper to us. And most of the time to choose any expedited choices is ridiculously expensive anywhere else. A whole month of price is substantially cheaper.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Think it is canceled again for us for now. We usually order things in spurts and don't really use the other extras. We don't order often enough to do yearly. If you order enough and would use the other perks, it is definitely worth it. Just worth it for the shipping when we do order things. Something I remember more every time we order from someone else, and even the time to ship is ridiculously slow on top of however long it takes to from shipper to us. And most of the time to choose any expedited choices is ridiculously expensive anywhere else. A whole month of price is substantially cheaper.
At this point I’ll acknowledge that Amazon is not always cheaper, it’s always good to price compare. I ended up buying an Apple TV box at Walmart online. But any retailer who wants to gouge you on shipping, is in serious trouble imo.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
At this point I’ll acknowledge that Amazon is not always cheaper, it’s always good to price compare. I ended up buying an Apple TV box at Walmart online. But any retailer who wants to gouge you on shipping, is in serious trouble imo.

I have actually used Walmart quite a bit here lately also... I have used Target in the past, but to me, there online experience is no where near that of Amazon or Walmart at this point.

Reactions: Huntn

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Is there a significant difference between Prime Student and regular Prime?
$59 / year for student.

The biggest difference between a Prime Student account and traditional Prime account comes in the form of the unlimited music streaming. Prime Students accounts can add unlimited music streaming via Amazon Music Unlimited for a small fee. Regular Prime members get access to 2 million songs ad-free. Prime Student trial users also lose access to Kindle Owner’s Lending Library and 20% off diapers.

A huge perk for Amazon Prime students: You can trade in your used textbooks with the company and earn back up to 80% of their value. That cash comes in the form of a gift card, but you can turn around and use that money to buy more textbooks or even pay your monthly Prime bill. Amazon also routinely offers special deals for students on college-specific items that could be used in a dorm room.

Reactions: Javabird

1boomer

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2015
Seattle area
I live in the Seattle area, I have used Amazon since the 90's, when they were primarily a book seller. Now, I have been a Prime member for a number of years. My wife and I both enjoy Prime Video. My wife has been known to infrequently order from Prime Fresh for groceries. For awhile we were thinkling about looking for a 12-step program for Amazon-addiction. :D I won't order from Wal-fart, I slaved for them back in the 90's. For me, the heart of the WMT corporation disappeared with the passing of Sam and Bud Walton. I do think that to give Amazon a little competition is always a good capitalist thing. Who knows the consumer may even get a good deal out of it. Amazon has certainly shaken up the retail sales sector. Saddened about the collection of state sales tax on internet sales, I actually was wondering when it was going to happen. In WA state, there is no state income tax, but the sales tax rate in the Seattle metro area is ten percent. I do take full advantage of the various Amazon delivery options available to me. some only accorded to Prime members. However, like with any type of transaction, shopping around to get the best product at the best price is paramount. YMMV.

Amazon is drawing up plans for a corporate campus in Bellevue (Seattle suburb), putting up new buildings, taking over other buildings and attracting thousands of employees to the Bellevue area over the next couple of years. Of note, Bezos started Amazon in Bellevue in the 90's.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I live in the Catskills and have routinely used Amazon Prime and Prime Pantry and Walmart for delivery of pantry staple items. Walmart is giving Amazon's efforts a run for the money in some rural areas now, I think.

Amazon's Prime Pantry has reduced the minimum order value for avoiding a delivery charge to pantry members, and often put multiple discounts of 5% if you "order five!", i.e. for an order of 15 items can actually get 3x5% discounts off the total... but their delivery dates are still longer in the boondocks than for their delivery of regular Prime shipments.

I'm also annoyed sometimes in having to make separate orders for Prime and Prime Pantry items: even "save for later" doesn't allow for saving items into Prime and Prime Pantry categories... there's just one cart and one "save" slot, and an order cannot contain both types. I end up cursing when a "simple" shopping list I had prepared in advance can take me 20 minutes to figure out whether to carve it up at Amazon or try to shop the whole thing out at Walmart.

Also, and related to that mess, Amazon's latest gig of "pick a Prime delivery day" has botched some orders where I already had a Prime order promised for next day by their default when I had purchased that item, but then I happened to make a Prime Pantry order and suddenly both items were scheduled for three days out even if still coming in separate boxes. I'd ditch Prime Pantry now in a heartbeat if it weren't for fact I then can't sometimes even order a plain Prime delivery of some food staple or household item.

Those things all add up lately to making me look just to Walmart when I'm only doing a re-stock of food staples.

Walmart requires a minimum of $35 on the order for free delivery but often makes a next day delivery now from a hub in Pennsylvania or New Jersey to here overnight instead of two-day. They're not going to do that for this shopper's satisfaction alone, so I figure things are picking up and there are more online Walmart grocery staple consumers in my area now. I find a one or two-day window convenient during winter when I dislike making a pantry re-up due to turn-on-a-dime mountain weather considerations. I like to order when I figure I'm not going to have to go out there first thing in the morning and shovel a path for the guy from the back door to a plowed driveway... at least I can count on a weather forecast for a one-day window, and usually for two... so Walmart does tend to get my winter orders now.

Of course Walmart's going to be looking at its margins, so over time things could eventually go back to my seeing four-day deliveries from someplace in Kansas... right now they're probably willing to take some losses trying to catch up with Amazon on delivery times in this particular segment of their operations. I've noticed more orders coming in one box from Walmart and sooner, versus in the past multiple boxes from multiple locations. Their experience is helping them stock their hubs better...

I've also had better luck with the condition of canned items with Walmart, and sometimes wonder if Amazon cuts deals with distributors about dented cans. On a non-pantry order from Amazon Prime once, I got a 12-can case of 7.5oz cans of salmon, nicely shrink-wrapped into its interior protection (a shallow corrugated cardboard tray) but a number of the cans were dented, including the two in the interior. I looked at those for awhile and wondered how you get a can in the middle of the pack dented by someone loading a courier truck when some adjoining cans aren't dented and the answer was "not". I didn't return the order and just used the dented cans soon... but my next order of salmon went to Walmart and fetched me cylinders of brown-paper-wrapped cans, no dents. I use the brown paper at my kitchen entrance to keep snow and salt from my boots off my floor in winter so that's a win too.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm also annoyed sometimes in having to make separate orders for Prime and Prime Pantry items: even "save for later" doesn't allow for saving items into Prime and Prime Pantry categories... there's just one cart and one "save" slot, and an order cannot contain both types. I end up cursing when a "simple" shopping list I had prepared in advance can take me 20 minutes to figure out whether to carve it up at Amazon or try to shop the whole thing out at Walmart.

I agree that this is annoying. I found something on pantry the other day I wanted and couldn't order it because I didn't need any other "pantry" type items.

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.