Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I have been reading that the new gorilla glass in newer smartphones is actually very scratch resistant. I therefore have not put a protector on my new 7+. How many still buy them? Also for those that don’t how long have you been not using one and have you experienced any troubles?

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
I have been reading that the new gorilla glass in newer smartphones is actually very scratch resistant. I therefore have not put a protector on my new 7+. How many still buy them? Also for those that don’t how long have you been not using one and have you experienced any troubles?
They are additional protection for the screen against scratches and a case is good for drops incase that happens.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
Definitely a case for sure. I actually have no idea how one doesn’t drop one of these slippery devils without one.

Reactions: ACB 123

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I use to, but then the rainbow colors from the edge of the screen drove me nuts, so I had to ditch it. Been fine ever since!

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018

Not sure what you’re reading but here let me give you some other reading that says otherwise.

https://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-1...users-complain-of-easy-scratching-on-display/

I never understand why one would not put a glass and case protector on $1100 phone.

I put on a zagg glass protector day one, right out of the box. In fact I don’t even take it out of the box unless I already have my glass protector. I’ve never touched my glass screen.

Mint condition even after 4 years of use when you use a protector.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
New glass designs are softer than before, which means lower scratch resistance.

Shatter resistance vs. scratch resistance. You can't have both. Apple is advertising shatter resistance.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Not sure what you’re reading but here let me give you some other reading that says otherwise.

https://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-1...users-complain-of-easy-scratching-on-display/

I never understand why one would not put a glass and case protector on $1100 phone.

I put on a zagg glass protector day one, right out of the box. In fact I don’t even take it out of the box unless I already have my glass protector. I’ve never touched my glass screen.

Mint condition even after 4 years of use when you use a protector.
I use screen protectors and slim cases, but it's not as serious as you're making it out to be. Things wear and tear over time.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I have a screen protector. It's actually helped a few times when I've dropped my phone. I bought one on amazon that covers the entire screen including the notch. You can't even tell it's there.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
Always use them. They've saved me a few times and I'm pretty careful with my phone. I have an 8plus and like the full-length ones. I have an apple leather case and a UAG monarch. The ones I use fit perfectly and it's hard to tell that I even have one on my phone.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I’ve always used the glass ones. If installed correctly they are never in the way. On my old X I used it without one for a few weeks but I was destroying the screen. I have a nice glass one now on my iPhone 11 now

Reactions: ScreenSavers

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I always use a case and a glass screen protector on all my devices. Not only does it protect the screen from scratches it protects them from dirt.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
New glass designs are softer than before, which means lower scratch resistance.

Shatter resistance vs. scratch resistance. You can't have both. Apple is advertising shatter resistance.

Been researching and this simply isn’t true. It has been proven in many tests that it is harder then keys or coins. In fact the camera lens is what has been shown to be the vulnerable part. I agree that a protector is certainly a good idea and why not? Better to have and not need than the other way around. I actually just don’t have one right now while I am waiting for my otter box defender to show up. Of course this case has a built in protector. I just have a cheap case until Thursday and didn’t feel like spending the extra coin on a protector for 4 days.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel and HEK

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
I use a screen protector that just costs 1 buck. I have the pro max. It is true that the newer glass on the screen is prone to scratches. My note 9 has been easily scratched from the "pocket" (without protection).

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I used to, when front glass was flat like 4s. Stopped when glass curved on edges. Seemed like cover glass always fractured on the edge. Also did not like the swiping feel with cover glass on curved screen.

So far no issues without cover glass. No Micro scratches or cracks on 7, X, 11 phones.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I put my second screen protector on my 11 Max about a month ago. I had 2 pack from Spigen. The first one cracked but my screen didn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.