Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Never have. I’ve noticed on my one year old 8 I have some micro scratches. My older iPhones had very little to no scratches. But even so, I like the clarity and smoothness of the Apple screen.

I do use an Apple leather case and have since the iPhone 5S. I find it helps with gripping it and it’s very minimal. People think I have an SE sized iPhone.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Never have, never will. On some phones I’ve had hairline scratches that you could only see if the screen was off and in direct light. Don’t need them

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I use the film style because I want scratch protection but I also want the screen to look like I don’t have anything on it.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I bought one again last month after not using one since my iPhone 7 and I hate them! LOL. They’re just super annoying to me.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have been reading that the new gorilla glass in newer smartphones is actually very scratch resistant. I therefore have not put a protector on my new 7+. How many still buy them? Also for those that don’t how long have you been not using one and have you experienced any troubles?

Dropped my 11Pro Max on a wet road a week or two ago. Screen protector was destroyed, phone was pristine. Worth it? I’d say heck yeah.

Here’s my report in another thread:

I hear all the complaints about the Belkin screen protector. I've been using them since at least the iPhone 7, but have also used a lot of others before and during, on alternate phones of mine and on family members' phones. Personally, that gap is a total non-issue for me, especially since the edges are in practical terms protected by the curve of the display and the raised edge of the Apple leather case.

Here's a very recent (Sunday of this week) real life story involving the Apple leather case and Belkin InvisibleGlass screen protector. I was walking one of my dogs in the rain, on the side of the road. My 11 Pro Max, in an Apple leather case with the Belkin screen protector, feel out of my pocket without my noticing. It landed face down, apparently, in the road, in the pouring rain, almost like being in a river. I didn't figure out that the phone was missing until we'd gone a couple of hundred yards. We went back and found it in the road. Luckily, no one had driven over it (it was more or less in the middle of the lane). The screen protector had shatter marks and cracks around nearly the entire edge, and several very large impact star cracks in the middle-ish part of the display. When the Genius and I peeled it off, the phone's display was absolutely pristine. Was I lucky? Somewhat. Do I think that the case and the screen protector are better protection than most people give them credit for? Absolutley.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Personally, I have screen protectors at hand when I inbox my new iPhone. That way is the best way to get a clean installation as plastic comes off and screen protector goes on. The glass screen protector and case fit well together and u cant really notice the protector is on

Reactions: Mel8899

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I bought one again last month after not using one since my iPhone 7 and I hate them! LOL. They’re just super annoying to me.

if I owned a 7 I wouldn’t bother either, pretty much a throw away phone when done now anyway.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The nice big scratch on the screen of my iPhone 8 work phone is a regular reminder of why I use a glass screen protector on my personal phone.

Reactions: Mel8899 and Ta0jin

thedalepool

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2019
Never have. I’ve noticed on my one year old 8 I have some micro scratches. My older iPhones had very little to no scratches. But even so, I like the clarity and smoothness of the Apple screen.

I do use an Apple leather case and have since the iPhone 5S. I find it helps with gripping it and it’s very minimal. People think I have an SE sized iPhone.
Hi, good sir. I have this small straight hairline scratch looking on my iphone 8. Im not sure if its a crack or a scratch. If I run my fingernails through it, I can feel it. Please help me determine what is it.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I use wallet cases for all my phones. Almost impossible to break. I have never dropped my phone so it's probably overkill but it gives me peace of mind.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I don't usually I used to change my phones a lot but plan on keeping this one for 3 years so I had a Belkin Glass protector put on straight out of the box. It works fine and does not look bad at all. Let's see how it looks in a year or so :rolleyes:

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
No, I've stopped using them ever since the switch to curved glass. The cutout was more subtle when screens were still flat, but its too obvious and ugly now with both the notch and curved displays.

On the flipside, the glass does get micro scratches more easily but not really noticeable unless under very bright lights

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The edge to edge screen protectors are almost unnoticeable. They are the only kind I'll use for that reason.

No, I've stopped using them ever since the switch to curved glass. The cutout was more subtle when screens were still flat, but its too obvious and ugly now with both the notch and curved displays.

On the flipside, the glass does get micro scratches more easily but not really noticeable unless under very bright lights

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
The edge to edge screen protectors are almost unnoticeable. They are the only kind I'll use for that reason.

I concur.
There are two types of edge to edge screen protector.
The first one is full edge to edge, including the notch area, you can barely notice the screen protector.
IMG_0339.jpeg

While the second one is also edge to edge, but has a notch cutout.
IMG_0663.jpeg

Though I prefer the first one (Spigen) with full edge to edge, the second one is from Otterbox in which the glass is made by Corning. It has much better clarity, glass smoothness, and slightly better touch response.

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
I use the new Otterbox/Corning Amplify (anti-glare) for my iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. Installed both the second I peeled the factory plastic film off the screen. Super easy install thanks to the plastic guide.

Rodneyp

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2019
I use a whitestone dome glass screen protector and have for several years. It is like not having a screen protector on the phone, but it absolutely saved my XR screen. When I got my Pro Max I got a ”deal” with my case and a free brand name glass screen protector. That protector started to bubble about 5 weeks ago, which always seems to happen now with the curved screens. My wife got me the Whitestone for Christmas. It is a night and day difference and when installed correctly you will not get any lifting on the edges because of the application with the Loca. I will never use anything else again. My phones look brand new when I upgrade phones and I can demand and get a premium price for them.

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Whoa, that is a seriously involved installation! I've read some reviews indication glue 'leakage' along the sides. What's your experience with that?

I use a whitestone dome glass screen protector and have for several years. It is like not having a screen protector on the phone, but it absolutely saved my XR screen. When I got my Pro Max I got a ”deal” with my case and a free brand name glass screen protector. That protector started to bubble about 5 weeks ago, which always seems to happen now with the curved screens. My wife got me the Whitestone for Christmas. It is a night and day difference and when installed correctly you will not get any lifting on the edges because of the application with the Loca. I will never use anything else again. My phones look brand new when I upgrade phones and I can demand and get a premium price for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.