Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I’m curious how much folks spend on Apple products and services every year.

Between my current stable of 2 Apple TV’s, 3 iPad’s (kids), 2 iPhones (X, and XS Max), 2 Apple Watches, and a HomePod. And my considered purchases of an iPad Pro, and an iMac. Apple Music, iCloud, and some AppleCare for services. And an upgrade cycle of yearly phones, iPad every 3, iMac every 4. I end up spending about $3,500usd per year on Apple.

This of course will change a bit with trade in (or sales) values and if I keep anything longer than expected, but I wonder how does that number compare to the rest of macrumors?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
My annual phone habit is about $1000, plus iCloud and Apple Music subscriptions that are about $100/year. Throw in the occasional watch, Apple TV, or older-model phone for one of our teens or my wife and maybe $1500?

I do sell my phone each time I buy a new one, so net out of pocket is about half that.

Reactions: 4sallypat

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I’m curious how much folks spend on Apple products and services every year.

Between my current stable of 2 Apple TV’s, 3 iPad’s (kids), 2 iPhones (X, and XS Max), 2 Apple Watches, and a HomePod. And my considered purchases of an iPad Pro, and an iMac. Apple Music, iCloud, and some AppleCare for services. And an upgrade cycle of yearly phones, iPad every 3, iMac every 4. I end up spending about $3,500usd per year on Apple.

This of course will change a bit with trade in (or sales) values and if I keep anything longer than expected, but I wonder how does that number compare to the rest of macrumors?
Must be nice to have $3500 just to spend on Apple devices every year. Ah well.

I probably spend less than $100, if you count buying stuff that supports the Apple stuff I already have as spending on Apple. 2018 saw new 6th Gen iPads. There will be no new iPads now for years.

I'm typing this on a 2003 17" PowerBook G4, which cost me $185 in 2015. It was a replacement for the same model I got in 2010. I have a PowerMac G5 Quad which cost me $100. It was free, the $100 was shipping. I paid $50 for a 2.3 Dual Core PowerMac G5, but only to get the case because the free one sent to me was bent. There's also a 2.7Ghz Dual Processor G5 that was hand-deliered to me after being road-tripped from the east coast to Arizona. That was free.

My PowerMac G3, which is used as my server was free. The PCI SATA card in there was free. I paid $150 for two WD Red drives and $50 for the drive dock.

16GB of ram for the Quad G5 cost about $100. The 4TB secondary drive was free and the 2TB boot drive was about $50. I paid, I think $70 for two A1006 ADC-DVI converters so I can use two 17' Studio Displays and 1 20" Cinema Displays (the old Acrylic ones). A third A1006 was free. The displays ran me around $200 collectively I believe.

There was an iMac G5 that was free and also a tray loader iMac G3.

Apple Magic Mouse was free, while I paid about $10 for a wireless Mighty Mouse.

OH! My 1.8Ghz Sonnet Dual Processor for my G4 Quicksilver was the most expensive. That was $250. The Mac itself cost me $50 and two iBook G3s (which I had at the time). I've also paid $50 for an iBook G4 (14").

I've got an iPhone 4 I paid $25 for, an iPhone 4s I dropped $20 on and both my iPhone 6s+ and my iPhone 5 were paid in installments. Both long paid off.

All of this stuff, plus incidentals and other parts (video cards, drives, ram, etc) has been off and on since 2010. I've been very fortunate that the members in the MacRumors PowerPC forums have been kind enough to send me stuff, a lot of it free. I just got a free BassJump speaker sent to me yesterday. It'll be used on the 2008 MBP that was also free (and shipped to me free from Germany no less) in late 2017.

I guess what you pay just depends on what type of Apple stuff you intend to use.

Reactions: alex cochez

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Must be nice to have $3500 just to spend on Apple devices every year. Ah well.

I probably spend less than $100, if you count buying stuff that supports the Apple stuff I already have as spending on Apple. 2018 saw new 6th Gen iPads. There will be no new iPads now for years.

I'm typing this on a 2003 17" PowerBook G4, which cost me $185 in 2015. It was a replacement for the same model I got in 2010. I have a PowerMac G5 Quad which cost me $100. It was free, the $100 was shipping. I paid $50 for a 2.3 Dual Core PowerMac G5, but only to get the case because the free one sent to me was bent. There's also a 2.7Ghz Dual Processor G5 that was hand-deliered to me after being road-tripped from the east coast to Arizona. That was free.

My PowerMac G3, which is used as my server was free. The PCI SATA card in there was free. I paid $150 for two WD Red drives and $50 for the drive dock.

16GB of ram for the Quad G5 cost about $100. The 4TB secondary drive was free and the 2TB boot drive was about $50. I paid, I think $70 for two A1006 ADC-DVI converters so I can use two 17' Studio Displays and 1 20" Cinema Displays (the old Acrylic ones). A third A1006 was free. The displays ran me around $200 collectively I believe.

There was an iMac G5 that was free and also a tray loader iMac G3.

Apple Magic Mouse was free, while I paid about $10 for a wireless Mighty Mouse.

OH! My 1.8Ghz Sonnet Dual Processor for my G4 Quicksilver was the most expensive. That was $250. The Mac itself cost me $50 and two iBook G3s (which I had at the time). I've also paid $50 for an iBook G4 (14").

I've got an iPhone 4 I paid $25 for, an iPhone 4s I dropped $20 on and both my iPhone 6s+ and my iPhone 5 were paid in installments. Both long paid off.

All of this stuff, plus incidentals and other parts (video cards, drives, ram, etc) has been off and on since 2010. I've been very fortunate that the members in the MacRumors PowerPC forums have been kind enough to send me stuff, a lot of it free. I just got a free BassJump speaker sent to me yesterday. It'll be used on the 2008 MBP that was also free (and shipped to me free from Germany no less) in late 2017.

I guess what you pay just depends on what type of Apple stuff you intend to use.

Probably worded it wrong.. I don’t have an iMac or the iPad Pro, so right now I don’t spend nearly that much. Might need to upgrade the pc for my wife’s business and considering an iPad Pro for both of our uses.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Apple services: $0/year.
Apple hardware: $300/year (averaging the net cost over the last 10 years).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Probably worded it wrong.. I don’t have an iMac or the iPad Pro, so right now I don’t spend nearly that much. Might need to upgrade the pc for my wife’s business and considering an iPad Pro for both of our uses.
Gotcha.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm in the spot to buy, I will buy. But I have the advantage of being about ten or 11 years behind current Apple hardware when it comes to Macs. It's the price point I can afford and it's all usable still (or I can make it usable).

I'm also not spending on Apple services, since by the nature of the Apple hardware I use, I am excluded. Dropbox and Google Music are two services I use, but I don't pay for Google Music - never have.

When it comes to devices though, I usually finance through the carrier when there is a device I like or want. We usually use those devices for 3.5 years or more though so we aren't spending every year. We only got the new 6th Gen iPads last year because the iPad Air 2s we had, which were paid off, were sold to someone who needed them.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The extreme price hikes have taken quite a lot of the 'fun' out of upgrading for me (or maybe I'm just getting all old and sensible with money =P). I am now really trending towards just updating my devices when they need to be replaced, rather than because I want a shiny new one. My iPhone 8 plus was my last purchase, and I'm not considering getting anything new until at least early next year (4th gen iPad pros) or even late 2020 (iPhones). I don't use any of Apple's for-pay services either.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With the iPhone, I use to purchase my iPhones outright, I don’t do that anymore. But if you place emphasis on the Apple Watch/AirPods/iPad (Plus I purchased the newer iPod Touch), I’d say I’m somewhere around $2800.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Too much :) This year about $400 for 2 older model backup phones. Plus $130 or so soon when I take in my MacBook Pro to replace the battery soon.

Last year was bad, what with the Watch, the watch, iPad Pro, and the Mini.

$3/month for extra iCloud storage.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Too much :) This year about $400 for 2 older model backup phones. Plus $130 or so soon when I take in my MacBook Pro to replace the battery soon.

Last year was bad, what with the Watch, the watch, iPad Pro, and the Mini.

$3/month for extra iCloud storage.
My response also “too much”. But well worth it.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Pretty much nothing on services from Apple, unless you consider actually purchasing a song from the iTunes store, in which case I probably purchase 30-40 songs per year, so call it $50.

For hardware, I'm typically 2 phones every 18-24 months, one iPad every 3-4 years, and a computer once maybe every 6-7 years. I still have my first and only AppleTV, an ATV3 which I suppose is due for replacement since sometimes I have to unplug it and replug it in to get it to turn on. I also have a TC, but we all know Apple gave up on those.

So in other words, not much. Just bought my 2015 MBP new last fall (July 2018 production date, right at the very end of the run), but hadn't bought a computer for myself since my 2008 MBP, which was then replaced with a mid-2010 by AppleCare. My wife's computer is a late-2013, and has like 50 cycles on the battery and has pretty much never left the desk. She's going home to Japan in January, and looking to sell it while there (Japanese keyboard), after which for her it will be iPads from here on out.

TheRealDGD

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
My last Apple purchase was in 2015 for a Macbook Pro that was about 2200.00 USD. They don't impress me like they used to back in the days when I upgraded every speed increase...... remember when clock speeds were the cat's meow!!!

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
My last Apple purchase was in 2015 for a Macbook Pro that was about 2200.00 USD. They don't impress me like they used to back in the days when I upgraded every speed increase...... remember when clock speeds were the cat's meow!!!

Yea, I guess the premise of my question assumes you have no plans to switch away from Apple. Or I could have phrased it to just what you spend on personal electronics. I also assumed a per year cost. Meaning, if you planned to keep that MacBook for 4 years it would cost you $550/year.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
$35.88 a year on 200GB iCloud, which I mainly use for my iPad.

Everything else is random.

2019 .....

Will most likely get the iPhone 11 Pro/Max and an Apple Watch. And possibly upgrade my iPad Air. Will also get a set of Airpods. That will set me back at least $2k and some change.

This all depends on the Keynote though. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the Galaxy S11+.

Hopefully Apple announces the black color Airpods this Sept. If not, I'll just pay extra to the Colorware site for matte black.

2018 .....

Bought a 2018 MBP 15" last year for $2,499.99

Bought a 2018 13-inch MacBook Air for $1,799.00 for my mom.

2017 .....

Bought two 8+ in 2017 for around $1500. One for myself and another for my mom.

Bought an iPhone X for my niece, which was around $1k

2015 .....

Bought a refurb (from Apple) 2015 MBP 15" for about $21xx. It was in flawless condition.

Total .....

So from 2015 (including what I will most likely purchase this Sept) and (including used Apple stuff) , I spent around $12,500 on Apple stuff. Add an extra $25-$50 for apps. Minus the gifts for my family, that's around $9,250 for myself. And I haven't even factored in all the Apple Care purchases. :(

Before 2017 ...

(with the exception of iPhones) I would buy everything Apple used. Like MacMini, iPods, and such.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
We don’t spend yearly on Apple products. We keep ours for a good while. It’s not about not having the funds to do so, it’s about getting the best longevity we can from the things we buy, because that’s just financially smart. Don’t need the latest and greatest.

We use rewards/cash back credit cards for everything. So what we buy from Apple is typically ‘free’, since we make a few thousand a year from our credit cards. Still not getting new devices every year either way.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Well it depends usually on every other year I resell and upgrade my apple watch, every year I upgrade my phone, every 2 to 4 years replace my iPad and I keep my macs for at least 4-6 years. So my spending on apple products varies each year for Hardware.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well, I’m fairly ridiculous, although I almost always sell an older device when purchasing a new one. This year alone though, I’ve purchased an iMac, iPP 11”, iPad Air 3, 2 6th gens, and 2 mini 4s (used obviously). All but the pro have been for my grandkids, and I’ve sold multiple 5th gens and put that toward the Air 3 and 6th gens.

So this year has been a bit on the expensive side, but typically I spend whatever it costs me to trade up my phone, and maybe my personal iPad or iPP, along with monthly expenses of under $20 (iCloud storage, Apple Music, AppleCare for my pro). Apple Music is the only subscription I have ever paid for other than Netflix some years back. I haven’t had it very long, and IDK if I’ll wind up keeping it for the long term. I feel like I could designate $10/month to buy myself 8/9 new songs for a year or so, and I’d be fine.

Last edited:

Souponastick270

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2016
Citadel Island
Nothing to very little, my last major Apple purchase was my iPhone 7+ on release back in 2016. I don't use/pay for services like iCloud or Apple Music. Before that would be my iPhone 5s and my iPhone 4 and 2012 iMac 21" all bought at release day.

While I have no intention in leaving the Apple eco-system, I just haven't seen anything to warrant upgrading my current set up. I know my iMac and iPhone are going onto their last updates in the next couple of years but until Apple drops all support I won't be upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.