Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
With all this talk about the Yonah's going into Macs I was wondering how big the benefit there would be with battery life with the Low-votage and "Profomance" chips.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
runninmac said:
With all this talk about the Yonah's going into Macs I was wondering how big the benefit there would be with battery life with the Low-votage and "Profomance" chips.

Not sure- one would imagine that two cpu cores would use more juice than a single core.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Around 30 watts at peak which is about the same as the 1.67Ghz 7447.
Yonah will be dual core at 2ghz though.
That's what you call better power per watt.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Measuring power consumption of just the CPU does not really make much sense when it comes to Yonah. It will be deployed as part of a Centrino platform consisting of CPU, Core Logic and wireless card. It has been reported that Intels latest wireless chip/card uses less power than it's competitors.

I would not be surprised if the total power consumption is less than the G4/Interpid/Airport Extreme combo we have now :D

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
robbieduncan said:
Measuring power consumption of just the CPU does not really make much sense when it comes to Yonah. It will be deployed as part of a Centrino platform consisting of CPU, Core Logic and wireless card. It has been reported that Intels latest wireless chip/card uses less power than it's competitors.

I would not be surprised if the total power consumption is less than the G4/Interpid/Airport Extreme combo we have now :D

I can't wait to see what type of battery life the new laptops will have with these improvements.:D

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I think I read somewhere the the yonah chip is 28% more efficient than intel's current chips for laptops. They are expecting 5 hour batterly life with out a problem from what the article said. Sorry I don't remember where I saw it.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
To estimate the battery life of the new machines, look no further than current Pentium M based notebooks.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
mojohanna said:
I think I read somewhere the the yonah chip is 28% more efficient than intel's current chips for laptops. They are expecting 5 hour batterly life with out a problem from what the article said. Sorry I don't remember where I saw it.

Even if dual core does find its way into the iBook, I don't think they'd want to go down in battery life (5 hours vs. 6 hours).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
BlizzardBomb said:
Even if dual core does find its way into the iBook, I don't think they'd want to go down in battery life (5 hours vs. 6 hours).

Yes, but I've never seen an iBook that actually gets 6 hours (or even 5). Apple overstates battery life for their laptops.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
almost all manufacturers overstate the battery life of their products
mduser63 said:
Yes, but I've never seen an iBook that actually gets 6 hours (or even 5). Apple overstates battery life for their laptops.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
BlizzardBomb said:
This is Apple we are talking about, you aint going to have dual cores in a ibook, Powerbook maybe

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
"Average power consumption is typically far lower than maximum power consumption; thus, depending on the notebook and the user, there may not be much variation between real-world power consumption in Yonah and that in current chips. The second core in Yonah often won't be running, keeping average power similar to the single-core only models now available."
The anandtech artical btw is comparing total system power draws with yonah running on a desktop motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.