Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbiguousNinja

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2011
...Uh that's the point of full-screen...
You could just maximize a windows (not full screen, just drag a corner so the window fills the screen) and turn dock hiding on.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I just wish there was an option to always show the time in full screen. I could care less about the other items in the menu bar, but the absence of a clock is a significant reason why I don't make much use of fill screen.

malik122

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2016
No fancy dot file editing required. Just press shift & alt/option and click on the green maximize button.

Maximizes the window without autohiding the menu bar (which I always thought was incredibly annoying).

Maximizing and full screen are two different things...

Reactions: hmojtaba

endsinstatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Window at full-screen with a menu bar is obviously maximized. OP doesn't want a chromeless window.

I would also like this feature to be native. The reasons are obvious I think, in case they are not....

1) I agree that full screen and maximized are different.
2) Switching between full screen apps is just nicer (so, so, so much nicer) than switching between maximized apps.

Keep these two things in mind if you are still wondering why someone would want this feature.

3) The autohide menubar is incredibly annoying if you often click buttons near the top of the app and it keeps popping its ugly head. Then you have to wait a few seconds for it to disappear before you can continue.

I only make this statement because I've read dozens of posts and they all contain someone saying "just maximize it"... "isn't that just maximized"... Gears ground. Anyway still haven't found a solution to this. Anyone had some luck?

endsinstatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
I would also like this feature to be native. The reasons are obvious I think, in case they are not....

2) Switching between full screen apps is just nicer (so, so, so much nicer) than switching between maximized apps.

Keep these two things in mind if you are still wondering why someone would want this feature.

3) The autohide menubar is incredibly annoying if you often click buttons near the top of the app and it keeps popping its ugly head. Then you have to wait a few seconds for it to disappear before you can continue.

I only make this statement because I've read dozens of posts and they all contain someone saying "just maximize it"... "isn't that just maximized"... Gears ground. Anyway still haven't found a solution to this. Anyone had some luck?

Best way so far I found as a reasonable work-around is putting each app I want to easily switch between into maximized on a separate desktop. Anyway it isn't perfect but you can try to see if it fits into your workstyle; you can still easily use gestures to switch between the apps this way.

Reactions: sledgehammer89

CoffeeAndCream

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Don't forget that you can also download "Spectacle" for free. Spectacle provides a few keyboard commands to function a bit like Windows. Stuff like

Option
+Command+F = fullscreen (without hiding menu)
Option+Command+Left Arrow = Left-Half of screen (without hiding menu)
Option+Command+Right Arrow = Right-Half of screen (without hiding menu)

etc etc... I have found that this made all of the annoying Mac stuff pretty much go away.

hmojtaba

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018

thank you! I hate that ugly head that appears when I only want to check the time.
the point is I really need to have the time available all the times (and sometimes the cpu activity and some others) but since all my apps are in full-screen mode I no longer see neither of them. I hate apple for this.

mikegonzalez2k

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
You can actually make it Maximize without hiding the Menu Bar.
Hold ALT (option) and the Green "Maximize" button will have a plus sign over it "+"
This will make the window resize to max without hiding the MenuBar above.

You can also double click the top of the window bar and should automatically resize to max.
Just make sure you double click in the corner where no tabs can be clicked on accidentally.
1574118467274.png

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
You can actually make it Maximize without hiding the Menu Bar.
Hold ALT (option) and the Green "Maximize" button will have a plus sign over it "+"
This will make the window resize to max without hiding the MenuBar above.

You can also double click the top of the window bar and should automatically resize to max.
Just make sure you double click in the corner where no tabs can be clicked on accidentally.
View attachment 877935
That's actually zoom, and it works differently for different windows/apps. It sort of "maximizes" according to the content of the window. Try comparing the results of that with Safari, Finder and Mail.app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.