Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSModerno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
I find that several of my encrypted external USB/Firewire hard-drives automatically mount on the desktop upon login. (Their finder windows don't open, they just automatically mount and their icons appear on the desktop.) Their unlock passwords (because they're encrypted) were saved and work as intended (they unlock the drives automatically at login), which allows them to auto-mount. This is wonderful and is exactly what I want to have happen. (I think I found a Terminal-run script for this before which allowed me to set all of this up, but for some reason I can't find that info online anymore.)

However, 3 of these particular drives (they're encrypted too) stopped automatically auto-mounting on login. Once the machine boots and I log in, they don't appear on the desktop. I can unlock/mount them manually from within Disk Utility (it doesn't ask for passwords, because they're already stored and mount when I click unlock/mount), but that's not what I want.

Any ideas on how I can fix this and get the auto-mount functionality on log in back for those 3 drives?

Last edited:

Polgs

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Australia
I don't know if this is a universal remedy but I had the same issue and reformatting the offending HDD as APFS (encrypted) fixed it for me. The drive now auto-mounts as it should.

macOSModerno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2019
This might be a good solution for users on macOS High Sierra (10.13) or later, for which APFS is an option, but I posted this inquiry for macOS X Yosemite (10.10). Yosemite doesn't have APFS....

I don't know if this is a universal remedy but I had the same issue and reformatting the offending HDD as APFS (encrypted) fixed it for me. The drive now auto-mounts as it should.

Polgs

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Australia
This might be a good solution for users on macOS High Sierra (10.13) or later, for which APFS is an option, but I posted this inquiry for macOS X Yosemite (10.10). Yosemite doesn't have APFS....

Mea culpa. I should have checked the version for this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.