Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
If it can work with the macOS SSD in there, you can install Windows with the macOS SSD installed. Just be careful not to format the wrong drive.
I tried it again with the macOS SSD in and it didn't boot, but if I hold down the keys to reset the PRAM it starts the installer after 30 seconds or so? Holding C doesn't work but pram combo does.. not really sure why

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
I tried it again with the macOS SSD in and it didn't boot, but if I hold down the keys to reset the PRAM it starts the installer after 30 seconds or so? Holding C doesn't work but pram combo does.. not really sure why
Another update, windows is installed, working on installing drivers via brigadier but it doesn't want to work past step 16, it puts the Bootcamp folder on my USB but the folder is empty. Same for step 18. Since they're empty, nothing happens with step 22.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I found you have to run the brigadier commands as an admin in Windows for them to work - I think it was in task manager and start new task as admin.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
Another update, windows is installed, working on installing drivers via brigadier but it doesn't want to work past step 16, it puts the Bootcamp folder on my USB but the folder is empty. Same for step 18. Since they're empty, nothing happens with step 22.
Install 7-Zip and try again.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
Also, I installed Windows 10 on a separate SSD and now Mojave mounts two partitions: "BOOTCAMP" and "System Reserved". Is there any way to configure the install to avoid the latter or is that because it's the only OS on the drive? Can I just nuke the drive and WinClone the BOOTCAMP partition back to it?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Also, I installed Windows 10 on a separate SSD and now Mojave mounts two partitions: "BOOTCAMP" and "System Reserved". Is there any way to configure the install to avoid the latter or is that because it's the only OS on the drive? Can I just nuke the drive and WinClone the BOOTCAMP partition back to it?

That's how the latest Windows 10 work. In fact, same as macOS, has a reserved partition for something else. You can only unmount the system reserved partition in macOS.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
Weird, the first Windows installation I did on this machine didn’t create (or show, at least) that partition. I think I created the partition through Boot Camp Assistant that time, though.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Weird, the first Windows installation I did on this machine didn’t create (or show, at least) that partition. I think I created the partition through Boot Camp Assistant that time, though.

It’s one of the Windows 10 update create it. It won’t be there if you install the old Windows 10.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I've installed Windows 10 and Boot Camp in the past successfully using the information in this thread. But recently I hit a wall doing a clean installation. It seemed that the Boot Camp support software was only getting partially installed. The solution was twofold: make sure to use cmd.exe from windows\system32 to run BootCamp.msi and make sure to have the installation files on an external drive. These subtle points are mentioned in h9826790’s excellent guide. However, because deviating from them can cause quite a bit of grief, I think it is important to emphasize them.

Last edited:
Reactions: prefuse07

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
2019 MacPro BootCamp released, product-ID 041-20483, 577,9MB, version 1.0.0.0.1.1572633498.

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 16.27.45.png

Mindgap

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
California
How can I get a download to a version of the Win10 (64Bit) installer which fits on a DVD-R disc? I downloaded the new Version (1909) and it is too big to burn on a DVD.

Mindgap

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
California
You can try Rufus. Install Windows on a USB in MBR compatible mode
Select boot drive through the boot picker menu. Make sure it is not called EFI (in orange) otherwise it will try to install it in UEFI mode.
Thanks. I will check that.
A friend of mine talked about a software to reduce the payload of an win iso file. He mentioned NTLITE. Maybe I also give this a try later on.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
No one has a problem with windows 10 crashing within 3 minutes of logging in. Every time?
Only happens after Bootcamp is installed.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I've got a weird issue...

I've gone through all of the steps, and have successfully installed W10 on an SSD sitting in Bay 1, and I have successfully switched from my macOS SSD to my Windows SSD (both are on individual drives) by choosing my startup disk as my Windows SSD; however, now that I am booted into Windows 10, when I launch Bootcamp.exe as administrator, nothing happens...

After I installed everything and did the several reboots etc... when I launched apple software update for the first time, to install the wifi drivers, there was also an updated version of bootcamp, so I think I am running the latest build.

Any ideas?

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I've experienced the same thing. The Boot Camp software is not properly installed. See post #559.

@cdf so I can't get past step 23 below:

21) type
Code:
e:

22) type
Code:
cd Bootcamp5/Bootcamp/Drivers/Apple

23) type
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

as when I run the command to launch:
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

when running the installer, it says I need to be running windows 7

1581881193492.png

-- how'd you get around this?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just tried a clean installation yesterday. I can still use brigadier to download the Bootcamp 6.1 package.
@cdf so I can't get past step 23 below:

as when I run the command to launch:
Code:
msiexec /i bootcamp.msi

when running the installer, it says I need to be running windows 7

View attachment 894605

-- how'd you get around this?

Keep the 5,1 driver package aside.

Jump to step 28.

This should install the bootcamp apps that you need.

And you can manually install the hardware driver if required (e.g. run RealtekSetup.exe inside the Realtek folder for your onboard audio hardware.)

Reactions: prefuse07 and cdf

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I just tried a clean installation yesterday. I can still use brigadier to download the Bootcamp 6.1 package.

Keep the 5,1 driver package aside.

Jump to step 28.

This should install the bootcamp apps that you need.

And you can manually install the hardware driver if required (e.g. run RealtekSetup.exe inside the Realtek folder for your onboard audio hardware.)

Ok, I skipped to step 28 as you recommended, got Bootcamp 6.1 installed, and I do see a Bootcamp file within Program Files, however, when I try to run Bootcamp.exe, nothing happens

I forgot to mention -- I already have all the hardware drivers needed, so just need to get Bootcamp to work

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Ok, I skipped to step 28 as you recommended, got Bootcamp 6.1 installed, and I do see a Bootcamp file within Program Files, however, when I try to run Bootcamp.exe, nothing happens

I forgot to mention -- I already have all the hardware drivers needed, so just need to get Bootcamp to work

I didn't check all your post history.

If you ever installed other version's of Bootcamp. You have to uninstall them first.

If you only installed Bootcamp 6.1, then it should work after reboot (don't go to program files, you should open it via the bootcamp icon at the lower right hand corner).

Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Did you reboot? You may need to uninstall bootcamp first and reinstall. Uninstallation is also in those steps

Yes I rebooted, I followed the steps to a T, I go here: C:\Program Files\Boot Camp and right click on "Bootcamp.exe" -- run as administrator [yes], and nothing happens. I looked around the tray to see if the control panel would be there, but nothing
[automerge]1581884392[/automerge]
I didn't check all your post history.

If you ever installed other version's of Bootcamp. You have to uninstall them first.

If you only installed Bootcamp 6.1, then it should work after reboot (don't go to program files, you should open it via the bootcamp icon at the lower right hand corner).

thanks for clarifying!

EDIT: I got curious, and decided to checked the lower right hand corner, and lo and behold, there was bootcamp!

Thanks!

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.