Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
*V.2 now supports both 32/64Bit* Working on iOS 6
(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)

Hello :D,

The program “AirPrint Installer” enabled windows users to install the AirPrint service. This allowed iOS devices to print to shared printers on the network, via AirPrint, that don't natively support it. However, iOS 5 broke this neat windows service.

I have made two .reg files (32/64Bit) to fix the AirPrint service, allowing iOS 5.x devices to use AirPrint through a Windows PC. I have attached a zip file containing both .reg fixes and the installer.

Instructions:

After extraction you should have three files:
- "AirPrint_Installer.exe"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg"

1. Run "AirPrint_Installer.exe" and then click on "Install AirPrint Service".

2. Run the "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg" or "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg" to install the iOS 5 fix (Choose the correct file for you operating system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit Windows).

3. Go back to "AirPrint_Installer.exe", make sure "Service Startup" is set to "Auto" and click "Start".

4. Restart computer.

If there is a locked icon next to the printer on the iOS device enable the guest account in windows (Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Turn the Guest Account on). Then in the "AirPrint_Installer.exe" choose to use Guest Account Auth and tick the "Enable Guest Account" box. Then click "Update". You will then need to restart. If you want windows to automatically log you in on startup, type "netplwiz" into the start menu search box, hit enter. Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply. You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK..

I hope people will find this helpful, please spread the word...

Thanks,

JasonHD :)

Credits for the Installer .exe file go to http://www.elpamsoft.com/

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
Lets open the chapter on Airprint on Windows 10.

I have downloaded both the 1.3 and 1.4 versions of Airprint. I have removed and re-installed the service probably 10 times at this point...trying the Enable Guest (on the 1.3 version--it's not in 1.4).

I have verified that I have enabled the Guest account, which for Windows 10 is a little tricky, but this page gives you 4 ways to do it.

I have rebooted probably 10 times as well. I have the printer shared. I have even added the Guest account to the printer share security and gave it, as well as the everyone group, full control over the printer.

No matter what I do, I see my printer listed in IOS, but I still get the LOCK next to the printer and cannot remove it.
I spent the morning with Microsoft France The Guest account installed automatically by W 10 does not work If you create a new local user ( you can do it without opening an account or giving any email addresses ... just look at the bottom of the screen ) call it User Guest or something & restart you should be OK I did it this morning & it works fine There is a bug with this though Microsoft said you have to run msconfig then Services find the Service des erreurs Windows in the list & unclick it ope this helps

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)

The program “AirPrint Installer” enabled windows users to install the AirPrint service. This allowed iOS devices to print to shared printers on the network, via AirPrint, that don't natively support it. However, iOS 5 broke this neat windows service.

I have made two .reg files (32/64Bit) to fix the AirPrint service, allowing iOS 5.x devices to use AirPrint through a Windows PC. I have attached a zip file containing both .reg fixes and the installer.

Instructions:

2. Run the "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg" or "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg" to install the iOS 5 fix (Choose the correct file for you operating system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit Windows).

3. Go back to "AirPrint_Installer.exe", make sure "Service Startup" is set to "Auto" and click "Start".

4. Restart computer.

If there is a locked icon next to the printer on the iOS device enable the guest account in windows (Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Turn the Guest Account on). Then in the "AirPrint_Installer.exe" choose to use Guest Account Auth and tick the "Enable Guest Account" box. Then click "Update". You will then need to restart. If you want windows to automatically log you in on startup, type "netplwiz" into the start menu search box, hit enter. Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply. You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK..

Thanks,
Sorry I mucked up on replying Just installed W10 the Guest account installed by W10 doesn't work You have to create a Local account ( without giving any details ) ..... Microsoft also told me to run msconfig Services Look for the Service handling errors ( Service des erreurs Windows in French) & deactivate it Airprint then works fine Thought you should be told Best regards

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
Wanted to say that Airprint works fine with Windows 10 BUT
1/ You cannot use the Guest account created with W10 because it bugs
2/ You have to create a Local account ( possible without opening an account or anything else ... you just have to look a bit ) and also
3/ Run msconfig Click on Services Find the service that handles errors Service des erreurs Windows in French & deactivate it .... if you don't & you try and go to this account your screen will go crazy & CRTL ALT SUPPR is the only way out
Best regards

lorier

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2015
Hi!

works fine even with the guest account on w10, but you must authorize "log on locally" for this account.
- start mmc and add group policy editor for local computer
- go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
- remove guest from "deny local logon" (translated)
- add guest to "permit local logon" (translated)

that's it !

Wanted to say that Airprint works fine with Windows 10 BUT
1/ You cannot use the Guest account created with W10 because it bugs
2/ You have to create a Local account ( possible without opening an account or anything else ... you just have to look a bit ) and also
3/ Run msconfig Click on Services Find the service that handles errors Service des erreurs Windows in French & deactivate it .... if you don't & you try and go to this account your screen will go crazy & CRTL ALT SUPPR is the only way out
Best regards

daviea09

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2016

Instructions:

4. Restart computer.

Thanks,

[doublepost=1452465997][/doublepost]Hello,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for providing this. I have been trying to get something like this working for years now and finally decided to put the effort in and get it done this weekend. Your solution worked flawlessly on Windows Vista 32bit Business Edition SP2. I successfully connected and printed to an HP Business Inkjet 2200, with an old school Centronics Parallel port and an old Dlink DP301P+ network print server plugged in, via my iPad Mini Air2 and 2 different iPhone 4S phones running iOS 7.1.2

I decided not to enable the guest account but have been able to successfully connect by entering the username and password for my user account. It only needs to be entered once and then the iPhone/ iPad's all seem to remember it (even after a power down). I have also found that the user account doesn't need to be logged in for it to work, even if all users are logged out and Windows Vista is just showing the various user accounts that can be used with the machine, it still works. This is helpful for us because we use this as a family computer so it tends to stay on all day but with various family members logging in at different points to work. The print facility from iOS devices continues to work throughout the day this way.

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

Kind Regards

Emilyche

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
I have enabled the built-in guest account by following this method. After logging in to Windows 10, the screen keeps flashing. How did everyone here fix this issue? or do I need to create a new guest account? Thanks a lot!

Boubou1012

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Paris France
Hello there The flashing screen thing is a Microsoft bug It happens if you try to open a session with the Guest account if I remember correctly ....... you will find something I wrote about this a bit further up ...... & I was doing this on remote with a Microsoft Service Agent .... they of course were using Windows 8 machines so couldn't see it. The solution is to open another User account .... call it NewGuest or something like that ..... you don't have to provide any personal info if you go slowly & follow the tips on the bottom of the page Once the account is up & running the AirPrint will work fine
Best regards

blair_b14

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2016
I have been trying to use this solution all day to no avail. I have downloaded the various airprint installers and they all appear to be running in command prompt. However, on iOS devices such as my iPhone 7+ there is no option for a printer appearing?

Printer being used is a Canon MP620, computer being used is an HP Envy23 running Windows 10 Home edition 64 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped as to what to do!!

Thanks.

Escape-75

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
You could run this helper app on your Windows PC to enable AirPrint on any printer.

Extract to any folder (in Program Files, etc) then start Netgeargenie.exe,
allow firewall access, go to AirPrint and pick your Windows printer.
If you don't have Bonjour installed, install the x86 or x64 version.

This is a modified version that doesn't need Adobe Acrobat, and it's self contained.
If you try printing a PDF from IOS 11 it will most likely fail, I don't know why.

https://mega.nz/#!L9ZikLBC!p9MLrEEXFMuNvs4N6g6xlZ9wJ1-rFCxD503UBmiaLH8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.