Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadka

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Hi guys ... Firstly, excellent work with this application .. Seems to be working nicely on my Windows 7 x64, with my iPad 3 (iOS 5.1.1) ..

My only problem is that when I print from my iPad 3, the print that comes out is of 'draft' quality, and only occupies 1/4th of the whole page (similar to the size of a 6"x4" photo) ... I have set the default printing options of my printer correctly, but for some reason, any photo I print from iPad is NOT printed according to those printer defaults ..

Can I set the printing configuration iPad uses somehow ?

planteg

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Hi hljoo8,

I searched on Google, this error seems to indicate that the system can't access the data on the disk. Is AirPrint installed where the registry points ? Do you have made the registry edits as told in the readme ?

Kalawson

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Works Great

Just installed on Windows 8 and now can use with multiple iPhones and iPads. Awesome tool!

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I caved and just bought Fingerprint 2 (http://www.collobos.com/) for $20 (they have a free trial too). Works perfectly and instantly with all iOS devices and OS systems. Even has great features to setup the printer sharing capabilities. Well worth it over some hacked together solution. Save yourself the time and aggravation.
I don't work for them btw... :)

Miz.Michele

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Works perfect

Thanks so much. I have been trying to get it going for months. I had to turn on the guest account.

I installed it on my laptop but sometimes I have it with me so I am going to try to hook up a netbook I have to the network so that it is always on. We shall see if that works

Last edited:

Miz.Michele

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Just a note. I had to turn on the guest account to get it working but really did not want to use it so I turned it off and I can still print. I just get prompted for my user name and password. Awesome!

thujjku

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I assume you leave that machine on 24x7? Just write your script to restart it every day at 2am or so, don't check for a failure.

Dylanswirk

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
No matter what I do I cannot install airprint installer on my windows xp computer I keep getting an error message that won't let me open it after I have extracted all the files please help if you want to email me you can at dylan at djswirkmke.com this email may only be used for support replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sramirez

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
AirPrint on Windows 2k8 R2 with AD (not a Guest)

To all:

I just installed Airprint on a Windows 2k8 R2 Server with AD:

1-Setup an AD user called AirPrint with a password
2-Setup Airprint to use the Airprint user with the same username and password as the AD equivalent user
3-In the shared network printer properties add the Airprint user to the security to have rights to print

You should now be able to print using the Airprint user without having to add a guest account to an AD server.

Hopefully others can duplicate my results as I can now print to my campus network printers from my iPhone 4s running IOS 6.1.1.

Thanks for this thread and the download. Very helpful!
-Scott:)

cpmartin2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
how to get to work if company assigned computer

hi all after tinkering with this for hours i finally figured it out .... i have a company issued computer that you have to sign in with the username and password given .... so you can not actually access the "guest account" so the work around that i found was going into our directory for printers ... located our printer in the directory ... there was no password given for it and the name of the printer was "xeroxc7762004" psw "blank" all i had to do was type in the name of the printer and the new psw i had given it ..

this is very handy i use my ipad and iphone for a lot of daily documents that are easier to hand write and keep track of ... so its nice to just be able to get back to the shop and print off the documents ..

hope this helps anyone i didnt see anyone with this problem on here so just hadda start pushing keys !!

black4door

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Works! (windows 8 64bit and non-wifi printer)

Installed software on a Windows 8 - Pro machine. Shared my HP F4480. Printed from iphone with iOS6 today!

I have a generic user account configured on the machine, so when it asked for credentials, I just used those. Easy as that.

Thank you!!!

huu

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
As i mention earlier, got same problem... IOS 5 Devices Print photo to full page and all IOS6 devices in small quarter page. Printer setting dont matter. Any fix yet?

Hi guys ... Firstly, excellent work with this application .. Seems to be working nicely on my Windows 7 x64, with my iPad 3 (iOS 5.1.1) ..

My only problem is that when I print from my iPad 3, the print that comes out is of 'draft' quality, and only occupies 1/4th of the whole page (similar to the size of a 6"x4" photo) ... I have set the default printing options of my printer correctly, but for some reason, any photo I print from iPad is NOT printed according to those printer defaults ..

Can I set the printing configuration iPad uses somehow ?

sandart

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
*V.2 now supports both 32/64Bit* Working on iOS 6
(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)

Hello :D,

The program “AirPrint Installer” enabled windows users to install the AirPrint service. This allowed iOS devices to print to shared printers on the network, via AirPrint, that don't natively support it. However, iOS 5 broke this neat windows service.

I have made two .reg files (32/64Bit) to fix the AirPrint service, allowing iOS 5.x devices to use AirPrint through a Windows PC. I have attached a zip file containing both .reg fixes and the installer.

Instructions:

After extraction you should have three files:
- "AirPrint_Installer.exe"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg"
- "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg"

1. Run "AirPrint_Installer.exe" and then click on "Install AirPrint Service".

2. Run the "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg" or "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg" to install the iOS 5 fix (Choose the correct file for you operating system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit Windows).

3. Go back to "AirPrint_Installer.exe", make sure "Service Startup" is set to "Auto" and click "Start".

4. Restart computer.

If there is a locked icon next to the printer on the iOS device enable the guest account in windows (Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Turn the Guest Account on). Then in the "AirPrint_Installer.exe" choose to use Guest Account Auth and tick the "Enable Guest Account" box. Then click "Update". You will then need to restart. If you want windows to automatically log you in on startup, type "netplwiz" into the start menu search box, hit enter. Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply. You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK..

I hope people will find this helpful, please spread the word...

Thanks,

JasonHD :)

Credits for the Installer .exe file go to http://www.elpamsoft.com/

Purchased HP Photosmart 5520 printer specifically for Airprint from my iPad (original, iOS 5.1.1) on my local network. Have followed JasonHD instructions as quoted but ipad does not recognize printer. Anyone have suggestions what to try next? Note both new printer & my older Canon Pixma M560 printer appeared in iPad's AirPrinter list once & printed out once immediately agter I did the set up but not since that golden one time event. Ran airprint.exe & got following messages
'Listening forconnections on 0.0.0.0:631
Listening for connections on [::1]:631
Unable to remove "C:\Users|ARTHUR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\/cupslite/cupslite no such file or directory
Unable to register "HP Photosmart 5520 series <Network> @ ArthurRW-PC": -65568
Xpdf Print library version = 3.02.33'

NINFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
run on startup

Does anyone know how I can get this to run automatically on startup? I've tried putting it in the Startup Folder, both as me and under "all users."

Win 7 64 bit iOS 6.1.3

DBidlack

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
user account issues

I have updated the attachment for both 32/64Bit support.

Have you enabled the guest account on windows?

Click start > Click on your picture to go to User Accounts > Click on manage another account > Click on the Guest account > Turn it on.

Now, make sure Guest Account Auth is selected and Enable Guest Account Box is ticked in the installer window. Click on update and restart you computer. The lock icon should now have been removed on your iOS device and will now allow you to print.

I've enabled the guest account but still get a popup on the apple device asking for a user name and password. even if I put guest in there it does not work. IDEAS?

gtalon51

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
JasonHD, please could you provide the source code so that it can be modified to remove the need for a password on the device that you're printing from. Alternatively, if you could implement this as a feature request, that would be very much appreciated :)

DBidlack, please stop the service and run airprint from a cmd line as an Administrator using the command below. Try to print something then paste the output into http://pastebin.com and reply with the link:
airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -vvvv

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that if you've got a printer setup on a domain controller (I am using Win2k8 R2), the user has to be allowed to login interactively to airprint. You can do this by editing your 'Default Domain Controllers Policy' > Computer Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment > Allow log on locally then add the user. Once that's done, run gpupdate as an Administrator.

Having said that, this is a bit of a security risk so I've also attached a modified airprint.exe that removes the need to do this.

For the technically minded, or for those that want to make the change themselves, use a hex editor, open airprint.exe, go to 0x1143 and change 0xF7 0xDE 0x6A 0x02 to 0xF7 0xDE 0x6A 0x03 (basically I am just changing the last 0x02 to 0x03). The reason for doing this is because 0x02 represents LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE (see LogonUser for details on MSDN) and 0x03 represents LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK.

Attachments

• airprint.zip
    116.4 KB · Views: 872

Zero3K

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Why would it show in its log that the device is using more than one port for printing? Shouldn't it only use one port for doing that?

donsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
Printer doesn't show in Ipad 2

(Download source link no longer works and has been removed from this post, download the attached .zip file below as an alternative!)

The program “AirPrint Installer” enabled windows users to install the AirPrint service. This allowed iOS devices to print to shared printers on the network, via AirPrint, that don't natively support it. However, iOS 5 broke this neat windows service.

I have made two .reg files (32/64Bit) to fix the AirPrint service, allowing iOS 5.x devices to use AirPrint through a Windows PC. I have attached a zip file containing both .reg fixes and the installer.

Instructions:

2. Run the "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 32Bit.reg" or "AirPrint iOS 5 FIX - 64Bit.reg" to install the iOS 5 fix (Choose the correct file for you operating system, 32 Bit or 64 Bit Windows).

3. Go back to "AirPrint_Installer.exe", make sure "Service Startup" is set to "Auto" and click "Start".

4. Restart computer.

If there is a locked icon next to the printer on the iOS device enable the guest account in windows (Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Turn the Guest Account on). Then in the "AirPrint_Installer.exe" choose to use Guest Account Auth and tick the "Enable Guest Account" box. Then click "Update". You will then need to restart. If you want windows to automatically log you in on startup, type "netplwiz" into the start menu search box, hit enter. Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”, and then hit Apply. You’ll see a username and password box. Enter in the appropriate information here and hit OK..

Thanks,

Followed steps as instructed above & also did all the troubleshooting discussed in the thread, but I couldn't make this work for some reason. I am using win XP 3. I have samsung 2100 connected to my home network. IPad is connected to same wifi network. Can someone please help??

Attachments

• ipad.bmp
    2.8 MB · Views: 967
  • Ipad2.bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 549
Last edited:

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I seem to be in the situation where if I have the Windows 8 firewall disabled, this works fine. If I enable it, AirPrint works for a few minutes and then stops.

The AirPrint exe is authorised within the firewall, but still no dice.

Anyone had similar issues?

chrissybabe

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
Printing to a pdf

So far I have got everything up and running including printing to cutepdf.
However when I add the location to alter the default location for the pdf files from cutepdf as follows -
C:\Program Files (x86)\AirPrint\airprint.exe -R _ipp._tcp,_universal -d c:/temp -s
but in my case using "C:/My Documents/pdfs from iPad" before the -s I find I cannot restart the Airprint service and instead get an error 1053.
Does anybody know why this occurs ?
Have I forgotton to do something like restarting etc
If I set the line back to what it was before the restart works fine so could the insert be in the wrong place ?

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Turned out my issue was Windows Firewall related, even though the app was supposedly being allowed to do whatever it wanted. Opened a few more ports and we're good.

M Yamamoto

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Don't work with IOS7 ?

Instructions:

4. Restart computer.

Thanks,

Hi.
I was a print using the AirPrint.exe in Windows.
However, there is a problem you have upgraded to iOS7.
I can no longer print Japanese.

Is there a solution something?

jawful

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Hi.

M Yamamoto, wow thank you! I am having the exact same problem and have been trying to figure it out. I can no longer print Japanese after upgrading to iOS 7.

I was using FingerPrint 2 and it worked fine, but after upgrading to iOS 7 the Japanese text disappeared. I contacted customer support and they were very unhelpful. After testing on my own, and enabling AirPrint using this method, I had the same problem. So the problem is not FingerPrint, it seems to be a problem between iOS 7, AirPrint, and Windows. (If you use a Mac, it works fine.)

After more testing, I found out it is font related. It cannot print the font "Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN". If you change it to "Hiragino Mincho ProN", it will print fine. The default font on iOS is Kaku Gothic ProN so this is a big problem on apps where you cannot choose the font. In Pages, for example, you can change the font to Mincho ProN and get it to print.

I will continue to test this and see if I can get it to work, but as of now, it seems broken. I am forced to use the workaround of saving it to the Windows computer then printing directly. My current idea is to try and copy the font to the Windows computer and see if it makes a difference. I don't know that it will, but it's worth a shot. It's definitely font related. They must have updated the font in iOS 7.

jawful

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Hi.

Oh, and if you find a Japanese site that talks about this or has a solution, please tell me. I very much want to fix this problem. I use this on two networks at work and need to fix this ASAP.

日本語でも大丈夫なんでこの問題についてのスレがどっかのサイトにあるか知ってれば教えてください!よろしくお願いします!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.