Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
I'll admit I'm being kind of a lazy ass asking this question because I could probably find the answer if I spent long enough trawling the webs, but can someone tell me if Quake III Arena or any Quake multiplayer game is available for Mac OS 10.15? To buy or not, I don't care.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Crap. Do you have any recommendations for other first person shooters? The only edition of Borderlands on the App Store is 2, and it's got in store purchases

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Apparently, the test builds for ioquake 3 were all pulled from the site due to concerns of being compromised. The post was dated 6/30/2019.

I'm trying to get Quake 2 to run, although the latest build for a 64-bit macOS version dates to March 25, 2017.

Quake 1 won't run.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
An update: the Quake 2 port won't launch for me, as it keeps asking me to copy files I don't have to a resource folder.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
The original games resources files are needed anyway.

ioquake3 runs ok on my Mac with 10.15.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Quake 1 won't run.
What happens or does not happen when you try to run it?

I'm trying to get Quake 2 to run, although the latest build for a 64-bit macOS version dates to March 25, 2017.
The version info is misleading, as that port uses a shell-based wrapper. The contained binary is from August 5, 2019 if you have downloaded the most recent version.

An update: the Quake 2 port won't launch for me, as it keeps asking me to copy files I don't have to a resource folder.
If you have an original version of the game, you should have these files. They mean the stuff in the baseq2 folder.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
What happens or does not happen when you try to run it?

The version info is misleading, as that port uses a shell-based wrapper. The contained binary is from August 5, 2019 if you have downloaded the most recent version.

If you have an original version of the game, you should have these files. They mean the stuff in the baseq2 folder.

Janichsan,

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but are you in a coding/tech supporting kind of profession? The first question you asked above is one that reminds me of the kinds of developer/tech support kinds of questions I get when I would interact with Mark Satt from Epic when he was a poster here. If you're not in the role of someone who could help us here, I'm not inclined to provide you with the answer to your question.

In response to your second comment, I downloaded and installed it, and got the same pop-up instructing me to transfer files.

I have disc copies for Quake 2 and 3, but no external DVD-ROM player for my iMac.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Janichsan,

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, …
Truth to be told: you actually are.

To answer your question: no, I'm not a developer. But I have experience with installing and using all three updated Quake engines in question here, so if you would have provided me with an description of what goes wrong when you try to use QuakeSpasm, I might actually have been able to help you with that.

And just that you to know, your last post provided me with the necessary information to figure out exactly why the games don't run for you.

But you obviously aren't interested in that, so you are on your own now. Good luck with working that out yourself, and enjoy your stay on my "Ignore" list.

Last edited:
Reactions: g-7 and Irishman

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Janichsan,

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but are you in a coding/tech supporting kind of profession? The first question you asked above is one that reminds me of the kinds of developer/tech support kinds of questions I get when I would interact with Mark Satt from Epic when he was a poster here. If you're not in the role of someone who could help us here, I'm not inclined to provide you with the answer to your question.

In response to your second comment, I downloaded and installed it, and got the same pop-up instructing me to transfer files.

I have disc copies for Quake 2 and 3, but no external DVD-ROM player for my iMac.

Not at Epic anymore, but still here ;)

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I’m interested in doing the same thing. I’ve still got the Quake / Quake 2 / Quake III installation media for Windows somewhere back at my parents place in my old bedroom that they’ve not repurposed for anything else since I left for college back in 2000.

Is there a consensus best, or maybe only, open source line of Quake engine(s) that can run Quake, Quake 2 or Quake 3 on Catalina and if so what files would I need to copy, and to where, to get them to work?

The beauty of Intel based Macs is Boot Camp. I’m considering installing Windows 10 to play CS: Source and DOD: Source. A Windows 10 Home License is only $99.00 from the Windows Store and if you don’t want to pony up right away until you’ve tested things and are comfortable there is no built in shut off date for inactivated copies if you download and install Windows 10 Home via Boot Camp from the latest ISO file that Microsoft has made freely available for download. If you don’t activate you’ll be nagged from time to time and you can’t do some things like customize the Task Bar but outside of some minor annoyances Microsoft has nothing in place to force you to activate so you can try it for a bit to play many of the most popular 32-bit games you can no longer play on Catalina.

That’s worth $99.00 to me. Apple isn’t going to reverse course and add support for 32-bit applications back into MacOS. That’s never been how they’ve done things. Microsoft, on the other hand, will likely support 32-bit applications until 128-bit operating systems and applications become a thing.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
What build of ioquake3 are you using? Since the test builds have been removed from the website.

Do this:
1. Update 10.15.x on your Mac as far as you can go via normal update mechanism.
2. Install XCode from Apple's Mac App Store.
3. Install commandline tools for XCode (xcode-select --install)
4. Follow the steps in the Quake 3 wiki to install Q3. (http://web.archive.org/web/20171105094047/http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Building_ioquake3_on_Mac) - I just did the first one. I already had git, I assume with XCode commandline install....
5. Q3 built in about 3 minutes.
6. I then went back to the Q3 web page (https://ioquake3.org/extras/patch-data) and downloaded the patch data and put them into the new BUILD directory I now had (inside of the directory that was... built...)
7. I had to supply my own pak0.pk3 (https://github.com/nrempel/q3-server/blob/master/baseq3/pak0.pk3; I had another one so I didn't use this one - but it should work) for the gamefile.

All done! Q3 on a modern Mac. On an 27" iMac (2560x1440 native res) I found 2560x1440 resolution, 16:9, was perfect. Attempting non-native res produced a bad image or very off-center image.

Last edited:

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
I'll admit I'm being kind of a lazy ass asking this question because I could probably find the answer if I spent long enough trawling the webs, but can someone tell me if Quake III Arena or any Quake multiplayer game is available for Mac OS 10.15? To buy or not, I don't care.

I have a suggestion...

Try this...
[automerge]1579151648[/automerge]
I’m interested in doing the same thing. I’ve still got the Quake / Quake 2 / Quake III installation media for Windows somewhere back at my parents place in my old bedroom that they’ve not repurposed for anything else since I left for college back in 2000.

Is there a consensus best, or maybe only, open source line of Quake engine(s) that can run Quake, Quake 2 or Quake 3 on Catalina and if so what files would I need to copy, and to where, to get them to work?

The beauty of Intel based Macs is Boot Camp. I’m considering installing Windows 10 to play CS: Source and DOD: Source. A Windows 10 Home License is only $99.00 from the Windows Store and if you don’t want to pony up right away until you’ve tested things and are comfortable there is no built in shut off date for inactivated copies if you download and install Windows 10 Home via Boot Camp from the latest ISO file that Microsoft has made freely available for download. If you don’t activate you’ll be nagged from time to time and you can’t do some things like customize the Task Bar but outside of some minor annoyances Microsoft has nothing in place to force you to activate so you can try it for a bit to play many of the most popular 32-bit games you can no longer play on Catalina.

That’s worth $99.00 to me. Apple isn’t going to reverse course and add support for 32-bit applications back into MacOS. That’s never been how they’ve done things. Microsoft, on the other hand, will likely support 32-bit applications until 128-bit operating systems and applications become a thing.

Or you can try this...

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Guys you should really give a shout to Wine and CrossOver.

It can run all those older Windows games better than they ever run natively on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.