Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
I have an iPhone XS and would like to keep it on iOS 12 for the time being. It has iOS 12.4 installed on it at present. However, I do not wish to have iOS 13 updated on it, so I disabled the Automatic Updates in Software Update. I do know there is a iOS 12.4.1 version.

How do I go about updating my phone to iOS 12.4.1? Or have I missed that window of opportunity?

Thank you.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Get the firmware from ipsw.me and update as soon as possible before Apple stops signing the firmware.

Update using iTunes by hold down Shift (PC) or Option key (Mac) and tap on "Check for Update" in iTunes and select the file to update to. Just make sure you do a backup before updating.

Reactions: Hal~9000

SackJabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Get the firmware from ipsw.me and update as soon as possible before Apple stops signing the firmware.

Update using iTunes by hold down Shift (PC) or Option key (Mac) and tap on "Check for Update" in iTunes and select the file to update to. Just make sure you do a backup before updating.

Ah okay, cool! Thank you for the link and instructions. I will do that as soon as possible. :)

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands

Do you know roughly when 12.4.1 gets unsigned by Apple?

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Do you know roughly when 12.4.1 gets unsigned by Apple?
Probably less than a month after iOS 13 release. I would hurry, because you never know with Apple. I updated my moms iPad to 12.4.1 via iTunes a few days ago, and won't update her iPad to 13, because all the new functions (and changes) will be daunting to her.

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
Given that ipad-os 12.4.2 may be the last update (for the near future) for older devices like my iPod air one
that one may be around longer. Not sure about older iphones.

Reactions: apple_bg

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013

Thanks bud...I was on 11 something for the longest time on my IPX...effortlessly went to 12.4.1
using your steps and then blocked future updates using the beta profiles method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.