Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
With 4K TV prices dropping like crazy, I just bought a 43" 4K TV to use a monitor with my 2017 MacBook Pro. I've hooked everything up using a USB-C to HDMI cable (HDMI 2.0) and the picture looks great (everything is clear and sharp). The TV is reporting 4K @ 60Hz.

However, the text is quite small. In the display settings preference pane, I do have options under "Scaled" that ranges from More Space to Larger Text. Is this the only way to make the text larger ?

Can anyone please share any tips of setting up High Sierra for use with larger 4K displays ?

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Sys Pref > display> hold down alt/option key > click Scaled. You will see many Res options.

Lowering Res is the only way I have found to see a larger menu bar. So Far.

For other screens try CMD + to increase the text size. a2

AlphaSquared

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2019
@chanc -- Other than size of the text, do you find it sharp? e.g., How would you compare it to text on an 27" Apple Cinema display or on a 27" retinal display?

Apologies, just saw the date on this.
Still, interesting that the same discussion about using TVs as monitors remains relevant

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Very little info to be found on this forum regards using TV's as monitors. (We are talking new-state of the art TV's here).

New TV's cost far less than even the cheapest monitors and have close to the same resolution choices. Unless one is a graphics developer, I fail to see why there is a rejection of TVs for every day Mac usage.

What am I missing here ? a2

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.