Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Still ignorant regardless. Maybe she has investments, kids, rent, a sick elder she honours/respects, maybe all of that and more while being a single mother or struggling student with huge debt mounting while in school. earnings in Mexico is NOT what it is in the USA and probably worse than in Canada - I'm thinking low income/low middle-wage income earners as a major generalization.

or just maybe she CAN afford it and is choosing to wait for say next years 13"/14" MBP or MacBook. You nor I nor anyone else does NOT know her current financial situation. The ignorance is to assume what's affordable for you, me or others applies to everyone. Open your eyes and your mind once in a while.

sorry for off topic will not do this again here.
Just... SMH

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The Catalina update notification is persistent and will return after a reboot even with the ignore and notification reset commands.
That's not true, for more than a month it hasn't returned
sftupdt.jpg

Read the other thread for different approaches to getting rid of the notification.

• Love
Reactions: camelia

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
That's not true, for more than a month it hasn't returned
View attachment 877724
Read the other thread for different approaches to getting rid of the notification.
I am the one who posted this "trick" over in the unsupported Mojave forum. I know all about it. Yeah, the software updater will ignore it (e.g. it will not list as available update or apply it when doing other updates). but the notification badge does return. I have tested this with two seperate machines multiple times and multiple ways. The badge always returns unless disabling notification badges globally.

Reactions: TimothyR734

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Ok, Ok soo @bogdanw wrote that the Catalina update notification is NOT persistent and WILL NOT return after a reboot even with the ignore and notification reset commands

So what command do I have to use?
The @IG88 command, the @bogdanw command or both?

Code:
killall "System Preferences"
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Catalina'
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist
killall Dock

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock

And?

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
The badge always returns unless disabling notification badges globally.
Apparently I got lucky then, because the exact sequence of commands I listed worked flawlessly and no notifications for Catalina of any sort have returned. I did not disable notification badges globally.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Apparently I got lucky then, because the exact sequence of commands I listed worked flawlessly and no notifications for Catalina of any sort have returned. I did not disable notification badges globally.
I think I have spawned some confusion here. There is no way to both ignore Catalina updates while still presenting badges [notification] for other updates or system preferences alerts. Some other posters who have claimed otherwise have either disabled notifications for all software updates or simply meant that software update can be set to permanently ignore Catalina related updates (although it will still present a badge, in that regard yes, sudo softwareupdate —ignore ‘macOS Catalina’ works).

The commands by both posts each contain elements of necessary steps. The command to softwareupdate —ignore is critical. The other steps are measures I think were intended to block notifications. Notification badges can be permanently blocked using a different command.

The following can be used to both ignore Catalina update and permanently block notification badges (for all software updates):

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
killall Dock

To re-enable badges for system prefs, change the 0 to 1.

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I think I have spawned some confusion here. There is no way to both ignore Catalina updates while still presenting badges [notification] for other updates or system preferences alerts. Some other posters who have claimed otherwise have either disabled notifications for all software updates or simply meant that software update can be set to permanently ignore Catalina related updates (although it will still present a badge, in that regard yes, sudo softwareupdate —ignore ‘macOS Catalina’ works).

The commands by both posts each contain elements of necessary steps. The command to softwareupdate —ignore is critical. The other steps are measures I think were intended to block notifications. Notification badges can be permanently blocked using a different command.

The following can be used to both ignore Catalina update and permanently block notification badges (for all software updates):

Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
killall Dock

To re-enable badges for system prefs, change the 0 to 1.
The syntax for defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 is not correct, you might as well use defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs garbage. It will be overwritten when an update is found.
Just read https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/system-preferences-software-update-badge.2204123/page-2

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
The syntax for defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 is not correct, you might as well use defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs garbage. It will be overwritten when an update is found.
Just read https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/system-preferences-software-update-badge.2204123/page-2
I can try deleting prefs again but that has not worked for either my MacBook Pro or Mac Mini. What I posted DOES work as described. Thanks for the link to other thread either way.
[automerge]1574281992[/automerge]
Jesus, you guys have successfully convinced me not to mess with this and just live with the little red badges.
Ha ha, I can appreciate that but if it is any relief, none of these commands can do any harm to the OS.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I can try deleting prefs again but that has not worked for either my MacBook Pro or Mac Mini. What I posted DOES work as described. Thanks for the link to other thread either way.
Are you by any chance enrolled in a beta program? If so, you should ignore beta versions too.
Close System Preferences, ignore Catalina beta
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina Beta"
delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate
Code:
delete the bubble
Code:
and restart the Dock
Code:
killall Dock

Reactions: camelia

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I don't remember in which thread it was posted but it was @bernuli 's solution that worked for me.

P.S. If I only had HDD, I would run Mavericks on it, Mavericks is plenty powerful to take away the advantage you get from the SSD.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs
killall Dock
Thanks! I plan to stay with Mojave for the foreseeable future. So killing the Catalina nagging is nice.

Now while we’re at it…Please tell me there's a way to stop Apple from downloading iOS 13.x.x to my iPhone(s) without my request. FWIW I’ll gladly upgrade to iOS13 as soon as it is stable or reluctantly just before it is no longer signed, which ever comes first :(

GetRealBro

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
OK, this is still working after
Security Update 2020-001 for Mojave 10.14.6 - Jan 28, 2020

I’d like to vote again for what I think is the safest simplest solution to clearing the sys pref notification badge.

1) QUIT System Preferences

2) in terminal run:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

3) in terminal run:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier

4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list

For me badge disappeared immediately after step 4

note: only use sudo for the --ignore In step 4

Reactions: bernuli

alphascorp

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2018
Brest, France
Hi all,
Following the modification made by Apple by the 2020-003 update and especially the depreciation of "softwareupdate --ignore"

The temporary solution to get rid of the red badge after each update search (with the appearance of the notification for Catalina) is here: #18,478

The workaround so that the Catalina notification no longer appears during an automatic update search or through system preferences is here: #18,496

EDIT: I think SIP must be disabled in order to replace the system file. (mine is permanently disabled so I didn't have to disable it)

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Terminal got rid of my badge. Just enter it and restart. Done.

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

Mojave till I die of thirst!

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I've explained in post #35 why AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 doesn't do anything permanent.

But it does. My badge has gone. Every reboot. No badge. It's gone. Gone. Not there. No more. A dead badge. A badge which has shuffled off it's mortal coil. An ex-badge.

Reactions: damaltor

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
1. Go into System Preferences / Software Update.

2. Uncheck the "Automatically keep my Mac up to date box" so the box is blank (not with a line through it).

3. Open Terminal and enter: defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && killall Dock

When your Dock relaunches, the red update badge is gone. It remains gone on subsequent reboots and restarts. It is permanent.

UNLESS you subsequently go back into System Preferences / Software Update, and your Mac searches for and finds the Catalina update, in which case the red badge will reappear on your System Preferences Dock icon. Obviously. Because you have just asked your Mac to search for updates and your Mac has done what it was told by you to do and notified you of the update by displaying the notification badge.

Whereupon you simply repeat the above steps 1-3 to re-kill the dead parrot. Permanently.

UNLESS....

Doh!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.