Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyonthemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
greetings,
I have a new mac book pro running os x 10.7.3. I created a few folders/directories off my home directory. How can I get my home directory to show in my Finder Sidebar gui?

Currently, all I see are:

All My Files
AirDrop
Applications
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Movies
Music
Pictures

I'd like to see my home folder so I can select it and then see all the folders in my home directory; like I can on my macbook running 10.6.

Any ideas?
Thanks,

johnnyonthemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Thanks, but how do I find my home folder in the Finder? I open Finder and I do not see my home folder. That is my problem.

Cheers

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks, but how do I find my home folder in the Finder? I open Finder and I do not see my home folder. That is my problem.

Cheers

Press CMD+SHIFT+H to enter your Home folder in Finder, then press CMD+ArrowUp to get into the Users folder, from there drag the folder of your choice to the Sidebar.
Your Home folder is located inside Macintosh HD / Users / .

Last edited:

johnnyonthemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Thank you so very much. I did not know how to do that <obviously>. That worked.
Cheers to all for the help.

mcneale

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Richmond, Virginia
Thank you so very much. I did not know how to do that <obviously>. That worked.
Cheers to all for the help.

Personally I think it's dumb that the home directory isn't there by default and you have to go through these shenanigans to get it. Much easier to get rid of it if you don't want it. I know it's part of the make the OS idiot-proof plan, but that should not make it superuser-proof!

mjdreyes12

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Press CMD+SHIFT+H to enter your Home folder in Finder, then press CMD+ArrowUp to get into the Users folder, from there drag the folder of your choice to the Sidebar.
Your Home folder is located inside Macintosh HD / Users / .

Hi sir,

I just want to ask, why the icon of my home folder in the finder sidebar is not a "house icon"? It's just a plain folder? Only in the Finder sidebar, in the finder itself I was able to copy&paste a "house icon" in "Get info" so it's showing a house icon.

I hope you get what i'm trying to say.

Is it because of the Mac OS? I'm running a Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.