Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all

I have VmWare Fusion 11.5 latest version installed with a windows 10 and ubuntu 64 bit machine installed.

When I use spotlight to search some stuff or app on my mac it also show Windows VmWare application (like Internet Explorer, Control Panel etc).

I have my 'virtual machine' folder on the privacy tab under spotlight setting.

What else I have to do? I can't get rid of it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You might need to change spotlight search directories.
Here is one link about that.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Hi thanks a lot for answering

It doesn't solve, thus my post.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
When I use spotlight to search some stuff or app on my mac it also show Windows VmWare application (like Internet Explorer, Control Panel etc).

Fusion exposes Windows apps to macOS and this allows Spotlight to show Windows apps in response to queries. The aim is to provide a seamless transition between Windows and macOS. Like you I prefer to keep them separate. This is controlled by the settings the VM - not by spotlight excludes. Make sure you are not using Unity for the Windows VM and play with the VM settings 'default applications' and 'applications menu'. I never have any tick boxes enabled in 'default applications' and nothing in 'default applications'.

Reactions: Shirasaki and CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Fusion exposes Windows apps to macOS and this allows Spotlight to show Windows apps in response to queries. The aim is to provide a seamless transition between Windows and macOS. Like you I prefer to keep them separate. This is controlled by the settings the VM - not by spotlight excludes. Make sure you are not using Unity for the Windows VM and play with the VM settings 'default applications' and 'applications menu'. I never have any tick boxes enabled in 'default applications' and nothing in 'default applications'.

Hi thanks a lot.
Will check but I'm sure I had not any options activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.