Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Hi guys, recently I got my hands on a Twentieth Anniversary Mac, which had a non functioning remote controller in the box. Somebody left the battries in, they leaked over the years and corroded the contacts, so I needed to clean them and chceck for some other damage. Since there is no guide on the web on how to disassemble this remote, I would like to share some pics on this topic.

IMG_0836.jpg IMG_2194.jpg IMG_7960.jpg

The controller is held together with snaps, and they make the remote pretty hard to open. To minimize the damage on the soft plastic, use a thin and rigid plastic tool (mine was from an iPhone repair kit). You need to push the bottom piece away from the top one and pry it downwards.

IMG_3671.jpg

Here are the snaps located, same on the other side:

IMG_5784.jpg

Here are some pics of the logic board:

IMG_9863.jpg IMG_4413.jpg

Hope it will help someone :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Thanks for this. Very useful for some, although fortunately my TAM came with a serviceable remote.
With any 'new' machine I get, I usually dismantle completely to clean out any debris and especially to repaste the CPU etc. Didn't do this on the TAM though, as I'd read that with age the plastic becomes brittle with the associated risk of breakages. Performs well enough as it, so that's ok with me.:)

Nice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks! Can you post a pic of that remote?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.