Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Ive been looking for an Apple sport band in a color that’s discontinued and found one on eBay. The seller does accept returns and wondered is there a way I can tell if it’s fake or not once I receive it? I have 2 genuine ones purchased at Apple.com that I can compare it to. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Most Apple sport bands have 38/40/42/44mm & S/M or M/L. No Apple logos.

Apple sport loops have 38/40/42/44mm. No Apple logos.

Nike bands/loops have Apple & Nike logos and 38/40/42/44m.

Woven Nylon have "WOVEN NYLON" and 38/42mm.

Leather loops have (M) or (L) and 38/40/42/44mm along with "NATURAL LEATHER" and a leather symbol, along with "Assembled in China" on the metal connector.

Leather Buckle has mm size and "NATURAL LEATHER" and leather symbol.

Some bands have "Assembled in China" on them.

Link Bracelet has "316L Stainless Steel" 38/42mm and "Assembled in China"

Milanese loop has 38/40/42/44mm and "Assembled in China"

Some bands have serial numbers (see thread).

Last edited:

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Reactions: orbitalpunk

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Every Sport Band-style band I've seen so far that isn't from Apple, is made out of silicone, not the fluoroelastomer that Apple uses. The difference is pretty much immediately noticeable when you pick it up (more squishy/floppy, more likely to pick up lint).

If someone has see non-Apple fluoroelastomer Sport Bands, I'd like to hear about it.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
  • Genuine are made of fluoroelastomer and are much smoother to touch than silicone
  • Genuine pin plate has a circular grove pattern
  • Genuine connectors are colored to match the band color
  • Genuine have "Assembled in China" written on the connecting end, on the pin half of the band
  • Genuine connector hides a serial number
  • Genuine have size markings

Reactions: the future

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
  • Genuine are made of fluoroelastomer and are much smoother to touch than silicone
  • Genuine pin plate has a circular grove pattern
  • Genuine connectors are colored to match the band color
  • Genuine have "Assembled in China" written on the connecting end, on the pin half of the band
  • Genuine connector hides a serial number
  • Genuine have size markings

ive noticed that most of my bands (that i've looked) have the "assembled in china" words printed on the M/L band instead of the S/M or the pin band. Is that the same as yours?

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
ive noticed that most of my bands (that i've looked) have the "assembled in china" words printed on the M/L band instead of the S/M or the pin band. Is that the same as yours?
If they have the same markings they're either good copies or genuine. Frankly the best way to find out is to touch the band in person.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
If they have the same markings they're either good copies or genuine. Frankly the best way to find out is to touch the band in person.

yea they usually feel "correct", even the ones from chargerstore.. i'm actually wondering if anyone has managed to copy apple's fluoroelastomer production "recipe"...

so far all my encounters with non-direct apple bands have been obviously fake (the thin silicon, 3rd party ones) or curiously legit (chargerstore)..

Reactions: twanj and CarlJ

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
yea they usually feel "correct", even the ones from chargerstore.. i'm actually wondering if anyone has managed to copy apple's fluoroelastomer production "recipe"...

so far all my encounters with non-direct apple bands have been obviously fake (the thin silicon, 3rd party ones) or curiously legit (chargerstore)..
It is widely accepted at this point that Chargerstore is selling OE bands. Whether or not they are lightly used, production protos/samples or something less legal is up for debate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.