Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Developer menu available in Safari? If so, go there and under the third menu item, the name of your machine, see if Automatically Show Web Inspector is on.

Long shot, as this flags does not seem to do this, but, from a Terminal, run the following as see if WebInspectorAttached is zero. I toggled it and did not seem to cause the inspector to always open.

Code:
% defaults read com.apple.Safari | grep WebKitInspectorAttached
    WebKitInspectorAttached = 0;
    WebKitInspectorAttachedViewHeight = 0;
%

Davycrocket825

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
East Sussex
Developer menu available in Safari? If so, go there and under the third menu item, the name of your machine, see if Automatically Show Web Inspector is on.

Long shot, as this flags does not seem to do this, but, from a Terminal, run the following as see if WebInspectorAttached is zero. I toggled it and did not seem to cause the inspector to always open.

Code:
% defaults read com.apple.Safari | grep WebKitInspectorAttached
    WebKitInspectorAttached = 0;
    WebKitInspectorAttachedViewHeight = 0;
%
I went to develop and under my name machine the web inspector was ticked I have unticked it thanks

MajorMatt

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Thank You. I could not figure out how to stop the windows from popping up. Sometimes I would get ten windows to close.

billypeoples

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
The Web Inspector is probably popping up by accident. To turn it off, look at the top menu bar in Safari. If you don't see "Develop" up there, go to Safari preferences (usually under the Apple icon), click "Advanced", and tick the box next to "Show Develop menu in menu bar". Then, click "Develop" and choose "Hide Web Inspector". This should stop it from opening unless you tell it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.