Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Sorry if this has already been stated but if you’re looking to start fresh a factory reset will suffice. From a digital forensics perspective I’m not familiar with a way to fully 0 out the device. There may be a tool that will overwrite every bit on the disk but I don’t know of one.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
I googled for DFU(restore), but still don't know what it is and how to DFU restore my iPhone.

Last edited:

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Did you restore the phone as new without loading any backups or even getting iCloud data from an existing account?

What should I do with my iCloud settings before restoring my iPhone?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Hardware. Memory and storage along with battery and how well it regulates each along with temperature. It's 5 years old. A newer refurbished model that can run iOS 13 is in your best interest.

Agreed. Even the 6s is a night and day upgrade from the 6. The A9 with 2 GB of RAM is holding on strong with iOS 13.

Reactions: Elitegate

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
So what do I do after entering the DFU Mode?

Besides, what should I do with my iCloud settings before restoring my iPhone?

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Have you seen some of checkm8’s abilities?
The only thing I've seen is being on iPhones since iPhone 4s (2012), owning almost every iPhone since then and the biggest problem I've ever seen is the Mail issue in iOS 13. I can't possibly be that lucky.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
The only thing I've seen is being on iPhones since iPhone 4s (2012), owning almost every iPhone since then and the biggest problem I've ever seen is the Mail issue in iOS 13. I can't possibly be that lucky.
I meant in regards to bypassing activation lock on affected devices.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Op, how long have you been dealing with this problem on this phone? At some point you’re going to have to stop and ask yourself how much your time is worth. I wonder if it’s time to throw this phone away and buy a new one.

Granted, I may be jumping the gun a bit here because I’ve never had any major problems with any Apple product. But, still, at what point do we just give up?

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
You can’t zero out an iPhone... This is meant for external storage... neither macOS or iOS will let you do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.