Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egetrop

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I tried doing the bless command again with different settings. Asked for the admin password and it seems to have taken but the same thing - black screen with refind running. Here's the latest entries from the refind.log.

Pasted Graphic.png

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I tried doing the bless command again with different settings. Asked for the admin password and it seems to have taken but the same thing - black screen with refind running. Here's the latest entries from the refind.log.

View attachment 880855
Well refind is loading and the logging is primitive but it shows that it is failing for graphics output. (!ok means “not ok”) so it could mean the card you have doesn’t have GOP firmware or perhaps a resolution is trying to be loaded that isn’t valid.

What settings do you have in your refind config file?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Lack of shortform tag can cause long delays during boot from what I recall.

Correct. I read about this in the refind docs. He also suggested turning it off under certain circumstances.

Anyway, in my case, I am sorted and have no issues using the steps I posted.

Only thing of note is that I seem to be permanently in verbose mode and always get the text output after selecting a drive to boot and also at shutdown. I can live with this.

Reactions: Grunchy

egetrop

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
My card is an ASUS DUAL-RX580-O8G. I don't know if it has GOP firmware.

Not sure if my attached refind.conf (renamed to .log and zipped it up) made it. The only change I made was the timeout I believe...My monitor is 1920x180 and tried hdmi, displayport, dvi (gave purple screen).

Attachments

• refind.log.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Based on this thread it seems that ASUS may not be using a GOP firmware with the RX 580 that is fully functional (in other words they are using an old and buggy version).

https://www.win-raid.com/t4022f16-Asus-RX-UEFI-CSM-Bug.html

depending how adventurous you are you could go this route to attempt to update the GOP portion of the rom in the GPU or try a different brand like a recommended sapphire pulse or even a physically massive powercolor red devil (both cards I’ve tested).

https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html
[automerge]1575528664[/automerge]
you could also try specifying a lower resolution in refind like 1024x768 or 800x600

egetrop

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Correct. I read about this in the refind docs. He also suggested turning it off under certain circumstances.

Anyway, in my case, I am sorted and have no issues using the steps I posted.

Only thing of note is that I seem to be permanently in verbose mode and always get the text output after selecting a drive to boot and also at shutdown. I can live with this.
Curious what make/model of RX 580 card do you have? Ludacrisvp may be correct in that my Asus card does not have the proper GOP firmware.
[automerge]1575556544[/automerge]
Based on this thread it seems that ASUS may not be using a GOP firmware with the RX 580 that is fully functional (in other words they are using an old and buggy version).

https://www.win-raid.com/t4022f16-Asus-RX-UEFI-CSM-Bug.html

depending how adventurous you are you could go this route to attempt to update the GOP portion of the rom in the GPU or try a different brand like a recommended sapphire pulse or even a physically massive powercolor red devil (both cards I’ve tested).

https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html
[automerge]1575528664[/automerge]
you could also try specifying a lower resolution in refind like 1024x768 or 800x600
Thank you for this information. I'm going to read up about updating my card or I may source a sapphire pulse version of the RX 580. I'll report back.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Yes, refind worked when I had the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB card. I've reset the NVRAM, ran the blessing again but no refind menu. The monitor's screen is black and the LED shows amber like no signal is being received, then the LED goes white and the login screen for Catalina shows up and I can login.
[automerge]1575518413[/automerge]

This is my diskutil list:

View attachment 880850

I use ESP Mounter Pro to easily get into my EFI partition.
View attachment 880851
I run your command to bless the file:
sudo bless --mount /Volumes/EFI --setBoot --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/refind/REFIND.efi --shortform

I did not use the chown command as I used Kextbeast from Dayo's instructions. The card does work once I'm in Catalina. I'm going to try going through the steps again with the RX 580 already installed.
Is that the version of rEFInd linked in the first post?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Curious what make/model of RX 580 card do you have? Ludacrisvp may be correct in that my Asus card does not have the proper GOP firmware.
I have the XFX one from OWC. They market it as an upgrade card for 4,1 & 5,1 MacPros. Not sure whether they have done anything to it before selling it. I bought it before gathering that the Sapphire Pulse version is the Apple approved one but it works fine as said.

Thank you for this information. I'm going to read up about updating my card or I may source a sapphire pulse version of the RX 580. I'll report back.
Given that it works for you and only skips the rEFInd Boot Screen, why not just keep using it and if you need access to boot options, swap in your old card.

egetrop

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I have the XFX one from OWC. They market it as an upgrade card for 4,1 & 5,1 MacPros. Not sure whether they have done anything to it before selling it. I bought it before gathering that the Sapphire Pulse version is the Apple approved one but it works fine as said.

Given that it works for you and only skips the rEFInd Boot Screen, why not just keep using it and if you need access to boot options, swap in your old card.
Yes I may just live with it but I'm anal & curiosity has now taken over. lol. Thanks for the info. & the help!

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Yes I may just live with it but I'm anal & curiosity has now taken over. lol. Thanks for the info. & the help!
Only thing you may try is install the RX580 and you stock 2600XT at the same time and boot to an efi shell:

Code:
fs0:
drivers > drivers.txt

Just copy the shell to your EFI partition and bless it like you do rEFInd.

Attachments

• EFI Shell.zip
    273.9 KB · Views: 179

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
@DearthnVader Can you explain a bit more what this shell does?

Also, what does the bit with "drivers > drivers.txt" fit in?

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
@DearthnVader Can you explain a bit more what this shell does?

Also, what does the bit with "drivers > drivers.txt" fit in?

The fs0: command gives you the first mapped file system, normally the EFI partition you have booted the shell from.

The drivers command displays a list of drivers loaded on the system.

the > (pipe) command pipes the output of drivers to the file drivers.txt.

What we should see is the AMD GOP Driver, and what I am looking for is if the driver is loaded has passed the validation test.

The AMD GOP Driver has a validation test, is phrases parts of the PC Video Bios and runs a checksum on the "Protected" tables within the VGA Video Bios, such as the clock and voltage tables. If the test fails, the GOP driver won't work in a UEFI PC or a Mac in GOP mode.

Last edited:

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
When I compiled this version of rEFInd I don't have a Mac Pro. I had been using my RX580 for Ether mining, and had binned the card for max MH/s at the lowest wattage.

Later, when I got a MP3,1 on the cheap, I tried this version of rEFInd, but it didn't work for boot screens with my RX580 because I had edited the Bios protected tables for ether mining.

Flashing the OEM Bios back to the card fixed the issue.

If people buy their RX580 second hand, there is a good chance it was used for blockchain mining of some sort and has been binned.

There is also the off chance that even when buying new that the card vendor didn't validate changes properly before shipping the VBios.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
BTW, any plans to compile for the 0.11.x versions of rEFInd?

Also noted that the package from the first post has a lot of efi files and that the one recommended for blessing is not the refind_GOPX64 one which I think is what you compiled.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
BTW, any plans to compile for the 0.11.x versions of rEFInd?

Also noted that the package from the first post has a lot of efi files and that the one recommended for blessing is not the refind_GOPX64 one which I think is what you compiled.

This never really got pasted the testing stage, and several test versions got left in the upload to my google drive.

The hope was to get this working for the 3,1/4,1/5,1, and while several people with 5,1's did test, we were unable to figure why the 5,1 doesn't work for GOP boot screens with rEFInd.

The AMD GOP Driver does properly link and load on the 5,1, and if you use a Shell tool I compiled it will poll the GOP graphics card and return the EDID info from a connected monitor, but we still get no boot screens.

I don't own a 5,1 and I can't debug this remotely, one day, when the 5,1 can be had on the cheap, I may figure this out and release a new version, but the project is on hold for now, unless someone else takes it up.

Reactions: Ludacrisvp

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
@egetrop I added an optional Step 4 to Post 16 as i have had a few instances where my rEFInd blessing has somehow been "lifted" and I get booted directly into a Mac startup disk.

Perhaps you might find the Launch Daemon useful

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Found out the culprit. Basically CC Cloner resets the boot volume as part of its housekeeping after running when the disk being cloned is the one it is running on (At least on APFS drives).

I presume it checks something and notices/thinks there is no startup disk and "fixes" this or perhaps it first unsets the disk it is running on before cloning and then "rectifies" this afterwards.

The daemon fixes such changes.

Reactions: Ludacrisvp

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Found out the culprit. Basically CC Cloner resets the boot volume as part of its housekeeping after running when the disk being cloned is the one it is running on (At least on APFS drives).

I presume it checks something and notices/thinks there is no startup disk and "fixes" this or perhaps it first unsets the disk it is running on before cloning and then "rectifies" this afterwards.

The daemon fixes such changes.
that sounds like a bug to me in CCC... have you reported it?

Reactions: Dayo

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC

View attachment 880855
You know I compiled this version of rEFInd, and now I'm having the same issue you are, it no longer works on my 3,1.

I checked with my ScreenModes.efi and the system no longer outputs any GOP modes for a connected display.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I did have to change my logic board after bricking one, I could have sworn I had they version of rEFInd working with my new logic board, but maybe I didn't.

Let's compare bootrom versions:

Code:
MP31.006C.B05

Someone with this version of rEFInd working for GOP boot screens post their version of boot rom?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You know I compiled this version of rEFInd, and now I'm having the same issue you are, it no longer works on my 3,1.

I checked with my ScreenModes.efi and the system no longer outputs any GOP modes for a connected display.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I did have to change my logic board after bricking one, I could have sworn I had they version of rEFInd working with my new logic board, but maybe I didn't.

Let's compare bootrom versions:

Code:
MP31.006C.B05

Someone with this version of rEFInd working for GOP boot screens post their version of boot rom?
MP31.006C.B05 is the only firmware upgrade ever released for MP3,1, Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3, back in March 2008. Most of MP3,1s already had this version from factory since it was released less than two months after MP3,1 launch date.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
MP31.006C.B05 is the only firmware upgrade ever released for MP3,1, Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3, back in March 2008. Most of MP3,1s already had this version from factory since it was released less than two months after MP3,1 launch date.
Thanks @tsialex, this is odd, I can't figure what has changed, maybe something to do with bless on High Sierra.

I'll reinstall El Capitan and see if that is the issue, as I can't think of anything else that has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.