Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks, but could not stand the kid bling, and that PS is maxed out at the 2070 level (600W), Otherwise good specs.

BTW. How do you work that @ bit ? LOL.

(Just learning what I will need to learn.) a2

You mean to get someone's attention in the forum without quoting them? Just use "@" in front of their forum name in a post and they will be notified. As you spell the name, a list of corresponding names usually pops up in a little window.

So @a2jack should get you a message that you were "mentioned in a post"... if this is what you are talking about. :)
[doublepost=1562297449][/doublepost]
This one only has 6 external bays but it already has a combo 2.5"/3.5" dock if you can find it:

There's likely not enough space at the top for water cooling.
I am completely sold on water cooling.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I am not. Never had one.

Liquid cooling is the best way to cool a CPU because water transfers heat much more efficiently than air. Liquid cooling also makes your PC run quieter because you won't have fans constantly running at a high RPM. However, liquid cooling a PC can also be dangerous if water leaks onto hardware.
https://blog.nzxt.com/liquid-cooling-vs-air-cooling-a-cpu/

I’ve had computer water cooling for 6 years, no leak issues (knock on wood). I’m using a Corsair cooler.

@Huntn. Yep that's the one. Thanks. a2
You called? ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Liquid cooling is the best way to cool a CPU because water transfers heat much more efficiently than air. Liquid cooling also makes your PC run quieter because you won't have fans constantly running at a high RPM. However, liquid cooling a PC can also be dangerous if water leaks onto hardware.

I’ve had computer water cooling for 6 years, no leak issues (knock on wood). I’m using a Corsair cooler.
It is questionable that liquid cooling is a better solution than a quality air cooler for a non-extreme PC.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is questionable that liquid cooling is a better solution than a quality air cooler for a non-extreme PC.
Physics indicates water cooling is more efficient in this application with a conductor placed directly on the cpu, versus air flowing by it. And water cooling is used in several applications I know of, like automobiles, not just relying on air swirling around the engine.

Now I’d have to research how much difference it makes with identical computers, one with and one without, but I suspect there would be a significant temp difference reading from CPU. But I concede this would mostly effect high performance computers. Over the years my Graphic card has morphed from none, to 1, to 2, and now 3 fans. This is not the CPU, but they are all in the same compartment. ;)

Top 10 Reasons to Use Liquid Cooling vs Air Cooling in Your Gaming PC
https://store.hp.com/app/tech-takes/10-reasons-use-liquid-cooling-vs-air-cooling-gaming-pc

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Physics indicates water cooling is more efficient in this application with a conductor placed directly on the cpu, versus air flowing by it. And water cooling is used in several applications I know of, like automobiles, not just relying on air swirling around the engine.

Now I’d have to research how much difference it makes with identical computers, one with and one without, but I suspect there would be a significant temp difference reading from CPU. But I concede this would mostly effect high performance computers. Over the years my Graphic card has morphed from none, to 1, to 2, and now 3 fans. This is not the CPU, but they are all in the same compartment. ;)
It is not much better for a standard overclock and an air cooler also helps the VRM.

If liquid cooling was so good it would be used everywhere.

Many people just buy AIOs because it looks good and youtubers peddle them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I love this machine, Yes it's a big lump ,but inside, a feast for a techie's eye.

Anyone now running one as game or VR machine on Windows ? Here's a tear down / 1080 upgrade clip. a2

IMHO ... Unless you plan to fully spec it out, it's a waste of money for non professional usage.

I would go with AMD. The new Ryzen chips are being released tomorrow, and are a pretty good bang for the buck vs Intel.

I VR on a Ryzen 2700x cpu, GTX 1080ti gpu. A GTX 1070 or RTX 2070 would do more than fine for VR.

I've been using NZXT 240mm water cooling and had no issues.

I would avoid DeepCool AIOs though, as I've seen too many store and Youtube reviews about them leaking. Which is too bad, cause I really love their designs.

I think a good air cooler like a Noctua model is good enough. But for overclocking, water cooling is best. That's not even to be argued. And I would personally use water cooling on the latest Intel desktop chips that's not delidded, even if I'm not overclocked.

Reactions: a2jack and Huntn

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
IMHO ... Unless you plan to fully spec it out, it's a waste of money for non professional usage.

I would go with AMD. The new Ryzen chips are being released tomorrow, and are a pretty good bang for the buck vs Intel.

I VR on a Ryzen 2700x cpu, GTX 1080ti gpu. A GTX 1070 or RTX 2070 would do more than fine for VR.

I've been using NZXT 240mm water cooling and had no issues.

I would avoid DeepCool AIOs though, as I've seen too many store and Youtube reviews about them leaking. Which is too bad, cause I really love their designs.

I think a good air cooler like a Noctua model is good enough. But for overclocking, water cooling is best. That's not even to be argued. And I would personally use water cooling on the latest Intel desktop chips that's not delidded, even if I'm not overclocked.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I'm convinced you are right. I will go with the 2070 or even the 2080 if I can swing it.

Now if I can find a machine without all the flash and bling, and at least an 800 watt PS that will take me past the 2070 era I will buy it.

Any other thoughts on best new CPU's ? Thanks. a2

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm convinced you are right. I will go with the 2070 or even the 2080 if I can swing it.

Now if I can find a machine without all the flash and bling, and at least an 800 watt PS that will take me past the 2070 era I will buy it.

If by bling, you mean RGB lights. Almost anything (if not everything) RGB can be shut off. Either with case buttons or software. Or you can even disconnect from the motherboard headers.

Reactions: a2jack

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Maybe those GPUs are not worth it now when you can buy the Supers.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Now he should test some Noctuas (including the NH-C14S) and measure the VRM temps for all inside of a classic case (not one where the front is all fans):

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I'm late to the party, but I'll jump in anyway. A while back I needed some Macs with serious GPU power. Apple shafted MP 6,1 regarding eGPU, so I bought a pallet of HP Z820s and had them hackintoshed. One of them I kept for a personal machine.

dual Xeon E5-2687W 8 core, 3.1GHz / 3.8GHz boost (factory HP liquid cooling)
32GB RAM
(2) GTX 1070 founders edition
(1) GTX 1030
HP Thunderbolt 2 card
HTC Vive

This system played every VR title I own on max settings, never an issue. I'm back down to a 6,1 and a mini as my main machines, but I'll probably treat myself to another Z820 for Cyber Monday to go along with a Vive Pro or Index.

Z820 is GREAT bang for the buck. Highly recommended. If there's anything specific you'd like to know, hit me up.

Reactions: Huntn and a2jack

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Good info. Love that machine, but now on hold for better headset tech.

Researched all that's out there new in VR, and found little movement toward better visual quality. Repurchased the Quest as it's native resolution is better than most and requires no Windows PC.

My cost is now lowered while I wait out the tech. But I will keep an eye on those Z820's. a2

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Oculus headsets have some nice features, but their ownership by Facebook means one will never grace my home or office. Be aware of how much data they're potentially hoovering up.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Just a heads up - permanent price drop on Vive Pro. Wonder if (Mobii?) will still make the eye tracking module available separately?

[edit] also Z840s with 3GHz+high core count v3 Xeons are depreciating nicely.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Yeah, I too hate the Facebook link up, but all the other headsets out there are old tech with wires and stations, and elaborate room set ups. Even the new Samsung sets are wired.

I don't interact with Facebook at all, but go direct to Alt Space VR and other VR streamers on line. Works great, and it's all free. a2

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Check the web - eventually FB login will be required to use their devices. Don't have the articles handy.

Vive has the wireless card option. With the price drop on the Pro, I think it's a Pro + wireless for my upgrade. Will add the knuckles controllers later.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
The Vive Pro looks like old tech, thus the price drops. Hand controllers,extra cameras, and base stations are on their way out.

I agree, Facebook may try to reel us all in. If they do, I will sell my Quest and move on. For now, I am gaining VR experience and tech know-how to better select my next much more expensive, computer linked, wireless system.

We are talking $400 bucks here for a ,stand alone, new Quest. I should net at least $150 back when I sell. But I may not have to, as Facebook will face a huge back-lash among current users.

I am now moving around the VR world and we talk about this stuff. I attend open "events" often, and will bring this subject up from now on. Do you have any links on this ? a2

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Looks like this just applies to direct Facebook usage, not Alt space VR ,(now owned by Microsoft), or browser or side loaded internet providers. So far, if you don't link to the Facebook site, they have no control. Maybe I'm wrong. a2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.