Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It's an interesting concept phone.
For those of you who don't know, the guy behind it is Jim Jannard.
He started Oakley sunglasses. Sold it for 2 billion dollars in the 90's and went on to start Red digital camera, launching the worlds first 4K digital camera in 2007. Red cameras are used on all kinds of productions, from Spider-Man, the Hobbit to a lot of Netflix productions.

Reactions: medenblik and bbrks

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
For you that don't get it. This phone has me excited in the way the first iPhone did. Biggest drawback is Android of course. But my iPhone 7+ hardly excites me, and I'm willing to finally try something new. (Have had every iPhone since launch)

Reactions: tkukoc

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
this is amazeballs if you're already invested in the Red ecosystem but I cant see this becoming a mainstream product.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
nice

m2dwNL8.jpg

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
RED are an amazing company, and are lightyears ahead of Apple in terms of innovation. If they're jumping into the smartphone market then Apple should watch out. They're a big player in the television and movie industry and don't take crap from anyone. If Apple push them they'll push back.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
RED are an amazing company, and are lightyears ahead of Apple in terms of innovation. If they're jumping into the smartphone market then Apple should watch out. They're a big player in the television and movie industry and don't take crap from anyone. If Apple push them they'll push back.
Lol. “Apple should watch out!”

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It's an interesting concept phone.
For those of you who don't know, the guy behind it is Jim Jannard.
He started Oakley sunglasses. Sold it for 2 billion dollars in the 90's and went on to start Red digital camera, launching the worlds first 4K digital camera in 2007. Red cameras are used on all kinds of productions, from Spider-Man, the Hobbit to a lot of Netflix productions.

Hahah how the hell do you go from sunglasses to ultra high end professional video cameras? Diversity or what!

And I was reading about this phone the other day, the screen tech sounds utterly amazing AND INNOVATIVE. They haven't made any promises with the camera though highlighting it's a mobile camera, but it will be a fantastic one, instead they have said their will be accessories for its camera like the big pro ones to make it an advanced system. It will also work with RED cameras somehow.

It's funny as the iPhone 8 rumoured price is pretty much matching the current price of the Hydrogen..

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
They should innovate a bit on their website and marketing. That site is absolutely terrible, and that phone looks awful.

Reactions: willmtaylor

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

How can they be if this is their first phone? Apple doesn't make digital cameras like Red does. Don't choke on the Red.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wow, reading through that very slow loading PDF file they have sounds like a Nigerian scam. If these guys didn't have their pedigree I would have ran away as fast as I could have after reading it. So only one close up picture, no other pictures or specs whatsoever? Crappy website with just one slow loading PDF file which sounds like someone's testimonial on why you should buy this completely blind? And it's ONLY $1195 for the aluminum version, who said Apple was expensive? Oh and that has the caveat "Current pricing is for a limited time only" If you look through their terms seems like they will share your info with their partners, hmm maybe it's just information phishing?

Just seems like a really weird product release. I thought Rubin's essential phone was a bit hokey in the way it's being marketed/released, but that is nothing near as bad as this Red phone. What does the holographic image mean? Will I be playing chess like Star Wars? What about the 3d? Didn't Amazon try a 3d phone a few years back and massively flop? Has any company really been successful with an "algorithm" to make 5.1 sound out of 2 (maybe) speakers? What is "nanotechnology", sounds like something made up in a B sci fi movie when explaining why the aliens are so powerful.

Anyhoo, let me get back to their PDF loading as it keeps crashing and I have to recover the webpage, back in 10 minutes, I hope. Wow guys, get a web programmer please!

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Wow, reading through that very slow loading PDF file they have sounds like a Nigerian scam. If these guys didn't have their pedigree I would have ran away as fast as I could have after reading it. So only one close up picture, no other pictures or specs whatsoever? Crappy website with just one slow loading PDF file which sounds like someone's testimonial on why you should buy this completely blind? And it's ONLY $1195 for the aluminum version, who said Apple was expensive? Oh and that has the caveat "Current pricing is for a limited time only" If you look through their terms seems like they will share your info with their partners, hmm maybe it's just information phishing?

Just seems like a really weird product release. I thought Rubin's essential phone was a bit hokey in the way it's being marketed/released, but that is nothing near as bad as this Red phone. What does the holographic image mean? Will I be playing chess like Star Wars? What about the 3d? Didn't Amazon try a 3d phone a few years back and massively flop? Has any company really been successful with an "algorithm" to make 5.1 sound out of 2 (maybe) speakers? What is "nanotechnology", sounds like something made up in a B sci fi movie when explaining why the aliens are so powerful.

Anyhoo, let me get back to their PDF loading as it keeps crashing and I have to recover the webpage, back in 10 minutes, I hope. Wow guys, get a web programmer please!

Looks like a really bad kickstarter campaign

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

Don't forget the design shown may change as well :D

Here's hoping a Red brick comes in the mail. (jk)

Reactions: spinedoc77

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Very first look at some Red Hydrogen prototypes. Have to admit, I'm a bit surprised to see this much this soon. I can think of another recent new Android based start up that could take some cues in providing some timely updates about their product. ;)

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I laughed when MKBHD told us that he can't show the holographic prototype because they wouldn't allow him to and because it wouldn't translate well, but we can see his facial reaction from seeing it for the first time. And boy was he shocked :rolleyes:. I felt him thinking "wowwwwwww this is gonna flop faster than a fish on a deck."

Maybe there will be something more from it, but I don't find the phone to be particularly attractive or stylish (especially those volume button, ugh!)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not clicking the link!
I clicked the link. I saw a lot of jargon. A picture of a phone that looked like a Moto Z phone on steroids. No solid assurances or time frames for the accessory module releases or even any vague description of what they might be.

It's one thing to plunk a huge chunk of change on an Iphone 8 with Apple's proven track record and return policy behind it. It's quite another thing to plunk down a huge chunk of change on a slab of promises and vague threats that if you don't do it now, you'll be out in the cold.

It reminds me of pitches for vacation condos that were being built out at one of my favorite beaches. They did turn out to be nice enough condos but a much better value after they were a known quantity and others had taken the risks and fought for the fixes and many management changes that needed to be made.

I think it's cool for anyone who wants to be a pioneer and can afford to lose the money if this doesn't turn out as promised, and is essentially paying for an adventure and possible bragging rights.

I can afford to spend that much on a phone, but I can't afford to LOSE that much on a phone, if you catch the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.