Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I think there's a lot of potential for a great niche product. It would be a central hub for genuinely useful add-ons. Albeit for a high price!

Reactions: Klyster

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
RED are an amazing company, and are lightyears ahead of Apple in terms of innovation. If they're jumping into the smartphone market then Apple should watch out. They're a big player in the television and movie industry and don't take crap from anyone. If Apple push them they'll push back.

Apple would give a rat's ass about RED. RED isn't even that great of a camera company, lots of issues with their cameras with overheating. Most productions for movies are done with Arri cameras. RED is already outdated.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
RED are an amazing company, and are lightyears ahead of Apple in terms of innovation. If they're jumping into the smartphone market then Apple should watch out. They're a big player in the television and movie industry and don't take crap from anyone. If Apple push them they'll push back.
...yeah, maybe not so much?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoN1NjA

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

Comment of the year award goes to this guy.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Goodness the founder was just 12 years younger than my dad. When my dad was 70 he was battling the first of his many different cancer fights. I’ve got total respect for someone who undertook a project like this at 70. Too bad he couldn’t be the Col. Sanders of smart phones.

I really loved the idea of this but once again technology comes crashing into human biology with a big fat “ouch”. The revolutionary display made pretty much everyone who tried it a bit sick/dizzy/uncomfortable.

Our tech companies really need to think not just about their environmental impact but their impact on human health. We need more investigation into the safety and comfort of things like pwm, scanners, radar sensors, 3-D displays and so on.

Ultimately though, what killed it for a lot of people was that the end product was hopelessly regular in so many respects. People were expecting a sparkly unicorn and got a Clydesdale.

okay so I’m not the best at analogies. 😆

mathewwade

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2019
Wow, reading through that very slow loading PDF file they have sounds like a Nigerian scam. If these guys didn't have their pedigree I would have ran away as fast as I could have after reading it. So only one close up picture, no other pictures or specs whatsoever? Crappy website with just one slow loading PDF file which sounds like someone's testimonial on why you should buy this completely blind? And it's ONLY $1195 for the aluminum version, who said Apple was expensive? Oh and that has the caveat "Current pricing is for a limited time only" If you look through their terms seems like they will share your info with their partners, hmm maybe it's just information phishing?

Just seems like a really weird product release. I thought Rubin's essential phone was a bit hokey in the way it's being marketed/released, but that is nothing near as bad as this Red phone. What does the holographic image mean? Will I be playing chess like Star Wars? What about the 3d? Didn't Amazon try a 3d phone a few years back and massively flop? Has any company really been successful with an "algorithm" to make 5.1 sound out of 2 (maybe) speakers? What is "nanotechnology", sounds like something made up in a B sci fi movie when explaining why the aliens are so powerful.

Anyhoo, let me get back to their PDF loading as it keeps crashing and I have to recover the webpage, back in 10 minutes, I hope. Wow guys, get a web programmer please!
I think the design shown here might see few changes in the actual product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.