Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Safari is unable to establish a secure connection...

and that means, using wifi I am unable to connect to any websites, none. Right now I am tethered to my phone via USB to get this post done. I have searched the web high and low and tried all the suggested solutions, none of them have worked.

Please help.

Barry K. Nathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2018
Irvine, CA, USA
Safari is unable to establish a secure connection...

and that means, using wifi I am unable to connect to any websites, none. Right now I am tethered to my phone via USB to get this post done. I have searched the web high and low and tried all the suggested solutions, none of them have worked.

Please help.
Is this the only computer you have on Wi-Fi, or are there others? If you have others, can they browse the web without issues?

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Is this the only computer you have on Wi-Fi, or are there others? If you have others, can they browse the web without issues?

Yep, only one.
[automerge]1573616789[/automerge]
Well you could see if ping or curl can do it or download a browser while tethered to your phone to try out.
It eliminates Safari as the issue. alt-clicking the Wi-Fi symbol should give more info about the connection as well. That might be useful.

Ha, I did that and ran wireless diagnostics and that, for some reason, seems to have fixed this. I have refreshed this page and am replying to you on Wi-Fi...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's probably a router problem. Can other machines connect through that router? Reboot the router?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Safari is the only browser I have.

Yep, synced to Apple.com

If a reboot of router doesn't help, try Firefox..

That will tell you if its software "Safari" related.. and if so, you an easily reset that.

Here’s what you need to do to reset Safari:

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Go to the Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari", press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and delete it. Restart your Mac.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
If a reboot of router doesn't help, try Firefox..

That will tell you if its software "Safari" related.. and if so, you an easily reset that.

Here’s what you need to do to reset Safari:

Open Safari - Preferences - Privacy - Remove All Website Data.

Go to the Safari menu (At the very top right side of your screen next to Apple icon), choose "Quit Safari", press "Shift" button and while holding this button on your keyboard single click on the Safari icon on your Dock.

Open the Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and delete it. Restart your Mac.

This appears to have worked!

Reactions: mikehalloran

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's probably a router problem. Can other machines connect through that router? Reboot the router?

Had that problem with one of our routers earlier this year with both my Macs and my wife's SurfacePro. I tracked it to mostly likely a DNS problem caused by the ISP and the ISP-provided router. After a lot of troubleshooting, I replaced the router (with an Orbi mesh router - WOW!- but that's another topic) and the problem went away. It sounds like your problem is solved but I'd look at your router if the problem returns.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Had that problem with one of our routers earlier this year with both my Macs and my wife's SurfacePro. I tracked it to mostly likely a DNS problem caused by the ISP and the ISP-provided router. After a lot of troubleshooting, I replaced the router (with an Orbi mesh router - WOW!- but that's another topic) and the problem went away. It sounds like your problem is solved but I'd look at your router if the problem returns.

I am looking at the Orbi as well. You appear to like it. Yes?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Enquiring minds want to know. I replaced a burnt out 6 yr old Time Capsule tower with a TPLink and it suuuuuuuckssss by comparison. BTW, TPLink Support was great and I resolved some issues but this is the Little Engine that just can't. I don't really want to go on eBay and buy another tower—but it would be better than what I have.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I bought the RBK23. It has two satellites and a slower backhaul than the other model I was looking at. It's in a fairly big three-story house (adverse) with post and beam construction (positive). Honestly, we were stunned. Coverage was great, and fast everywhere. We get 70mbps down on a fiber optic line there (highest that's available on this island). At home, we get 210mbps down on coax, and that actually shows up on the 5gHz radio, but subjectively my wife and I both feel that web pages load faster on the 70mbps/Orbi network than our 210mbps/Netgear network at home.

As a footnote, it looks like they're deploying Alexa tech in new Orbi systems, which I would certainly prefer not to have in my router (though I guess you could always turn it off).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.