Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
I bought me and the gf iPhone 11’s this year, so we get 2 times the free year of this. But I told her there is no point starting any of the trials yet as there isn’t much to watch, plus they are drip feeding episodes every week.
Maybe in a few months it will be worth starting one of our free trials. Then after that runs out, start on our other free trial....

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I bought me and the gf iPhone 11’s this year, so we get 2 times the free year of this. But I told her there is no point starting any of the trials yet as there isn’t much to watch,

Are you talking about the trial or the free 1 year of Apple TV+ with selected purchases? If the latter are you sure that when you activate the start date will be the date of activation? My suspicion is that is like other things like warranties, the start date is the date the qualifying product was purchased regardless of the activation date.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Are you talking about the trial or the free 1 year of Apple TV+ with selected purchases? If the latter are you sure that when you activate the start date will be the date of activation? My suspicion is that is like other things like warranties, the start date is the date the qualifying product was purchased regardless of the activation date.

I believe you have three months from purchase to activate your years free trial. Most people who got new iPhones this year had to wait about 6 weeks for the service to go live.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I believe you have three months from purchase to activate your years free trial. Most people who got new iPhones this year had to wait about 6 weeks for the service to go live.

Yes, the service did not go live until after the latest iPhones were released so this is a special case. Assuming that you have the activation available due to a phone purchased before November 1 you can't assume that the starting date will be the date of activation, rather than the date of purchase of the phone (if after November 1) or the starting date of the service. Look at standard AppleCare. If you purchase it you extend it from the date of purchase of the device, not from the date of the purchase of AppleCare. So the question is whether an Apple TV+ subscription is treated the same as a warranty (starts at date of sale) or date of activation.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Yes, the service did not go live until after the latest iPhones were released so this is a special case. Assuming that you have the activation available due to a phone purchased before November 1 you can't assume that the starting date will be the date of activation, rather than the date of purchase of the phone (if after November 1) or the starting date of the service. Look at standard AppleCare. If you purchase it you extend it from the date of purchase of the device, not from the date of the purchase of AppleCare. So the question is whether an Apple TV+ subscription is treated the same as a warranty (starts at date of sale) or date of activation.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Apple are trying to entice customers I don’t see why they would be reducing the time and giving the impression of being stingy.

Get one year free Apple TV+ when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac.
Terms and conditions:
• Offer is available for a limited time only.
• Offer cannot be combined with other free trials or offers for Apple TV+.
• Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased. You can
share your 1 year free Apple TV+ with up to 5 other family members via Family
Sharing.
• Redeem your 1 year free in the Apple TV app starting November 1, 2019. Make
sure your eligible device is running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
• Offer must be claimed in the Apple TV app within 3 months after first setting
up your new device. To see the offer appear, you will need to sign in with your Apple ID on your new device. If you’ve purchased your new device before the launch of Apple TV+ on November 1, you will have 3 months starting November 1 to redeem.
• Upon claiming the offer, you commit to a $4.99/month subscription that starts immediately after the 1 year free and automatically renews until cancelled. You can cancel at any time in Settings at least a day before each renewal date. If you cancel during your free year, you and your family members will immediately lose access to Apple TV+ and the remainder of your 1-year free trial. You can’t reactivate this trial.
Eligible devices:
• Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS purchased after September 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller, is eligible.

To me that’s 1 year free from redemption not one year from activation of device which isn’t mentioned.

I know people Think the one year will be ongoing with every new purchase but I do not believe it will go past 2020s iPhones, of course I have no Evidence for that and it’s just my guess.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Are we supposed to pay for *** SEVEN *** programmes (only three of which I want to watch) and a few more over time.

You're not supposed to do anything. It is your choice to make. Some feel that there is value in the current service, others do not. Personally I am enjoying the content immensely and so I am paying for it. If that changes I will cancel until such time as I once again see value in it.

Reactions: mallbritton

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I scratch my head when people wonder why there isn’t iTunes content on Apple TV+. Um, Apple has the right to offer the content on iTunes for purchase, it does not have the rights to include it in a streaming service. Can you imagine what Apple would have to spend to get the rights to stream iTunes movies and TV shows on Apple TV+? And how much of that content is even available for Apple to bid on? Most of the content providers have or are building their own streaming services. They’re not going to give their content to Apple when they want you to subscribe to their service.

Now if there are franchises or legacy shows up for grabs then Apple should go after them. I don’t think Apple TV+ can survive long term with just original content. And having enough original content to fill up a service and get people paying every month is very expensive. Especially assuming not all the shows will be great/popular.

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
Hi

I don’t think anyone expects the full iTunes content on Apple TV but at least more than 5/6 shows (and not even all the episodes). Especially since it costs about 3/4 the price of Netflix!

anyway, is there any hope/rumour/news if there being an Apple TV for XBox/PlayStation?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
These people are Apple fanboys and will defend Apple to the death. It doesn’t matter to them that Apple’s service is poor compared to all the completion. It is your fault
Because someone points out personal responsibility in purchases doesn't make them a fanboy. Can you see the difference between expressing dislike for a service vs I didn't know how bad something was and purchased without checking it out.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
As far as I can see AppleTV+ has *** SEVEN *** (dull and boring same-old-same-old) programmes.

FIFY

I've just bought a new Mac 16" and as a tid-bit Apple throw in the subscription to Apple TV+.

Am quite annoyed that I've bought a 4k Fire TV stick which has Apple TV as an application, just to discover there's absolutely no content of even the slightest interest except for having to rent / buy some films or programmes that are already available on TV for free or on Amazon.

Maybe I'm unique, but I cancelled Netflix as there's little content that interests me once the few programmes that did were watched.

Now to find out how I can unsubscribe from this total rubbish. Even "free" is too expensive (aside from spending north of $5000).

Minus five stars Apple. And minus five more for an awful user interface.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
FIFY

I've just bought a new Mac 16" and as a tid-bit Apple throw in the subscription to Apple TV+.

Am quite annoyed that I've bought a 4k Fire TV stick which has Apple TV as an application, just to discover there's absolutely no content of even the slightest interest except for having to rent / buy some films or programmes that are already available on TV for free or on Amazon.

Maybe I'm unique, but I cancelled Netflix as there's little content that interests me once the few programmes that did were watched.

Now to find out how I can unsubscribe from this total rubbish. Even "free" is too expensive (aside from spending north of $5000).

If you can't find anything of interest on Apple TV+ or Netflix, maybe you've got very specific interests which mainstream media doesn't cater for. That doesn't sound like a platform problem though...

Reactions: StyxMaker

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
FIFY

-5 starts for something that was free? Wow.

Reactions: jbachandouris

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Entitlement to the extreme but I agree with him on one thing though, I too have cancelled Netflix because “there's little content that interests me once the few programmes that did were watched”. Exactly my feeling.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Free. Shrugs shoulders.

That old saying that everything has a value. If you give it away for "free" it ceases to have a value.

In the case of Apple TV+++ it's got no value whatsoever -- unless you like run of the mill never-ending series, or bore-athons.

I have to give up my time to watch that utter rubbish. I value that time and don't consider that as "free".

Actarus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Add the fact that there is still no App for Android TV, playing through a browser is laggy and not the best experience, no possibility of casting through Chromecast... and you get a really poor experience for a starting service that needs to catch a piece of the market. If they're trying to make us buy an Apple TV 4k just for this, that's not happening, they need to offer the same streaming possibilities that the others are offering and add new content during the next months, otherwise it won't be interesting at all paying for this service.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Entitlement to the extreme but I agree with him on one thing though, I too have cancelled Netflix because “there's little content that interests me once the few programmes that did were watched”. Exactly my feeling.

Good thing it’s easy to add subs or cancel. Nothing says it has to be continuous. I cancelled Netflix til it’s time for stranger things. Right now it’s just amazon as prime is always a must. And YouTube tv. Disney and atv are free but would get dumped. Neither is compelling.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Personally I like all I have seen on Apple TV+, even though there are only 2 shows I am watching. For a year's free trial it's a good deal. Yes, I cancelled my Netflix as I'd had enough for the moment (I only watch Netflix for a few months every year to exhaust the new interesting content).

My question is when is there going to be new stuff available ? I thought that every month would see new material. I've finished the 2 shows I was watching. More please.

+ I also like the UI - it does a fine additional job of managing the display of content from other sources (in my case BBC iPlayer & Amazon)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I seem to recall Steve Jobs being quoted as saying that he 'cracked' TV. It's obvious that he did not.

I have only watched 'See' and it's not even compelling enough to go to the 5th episode. There are other shows on there I want to check out. Guess I better do so before my year runs out. ;)

Reactions: Fried egg on toast

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
My question is when is there going to be new stuff available ?

Truth Be Told will be released this Friday. First 3 Episodes I presume. I guess the original plan is The Banker will be released next Friday but it got postponed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.