Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelShawJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2016
So I have been waiting on iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad Air 2 for a little while now. A few days ago, I called Apple and I told them that my iPhone 6 Plus screen cracked and that I felt it was a malfunction because I never dropped the phone, and the crack started right where the phone was starting to bend. Originally, the lady on the phone was trying to charge me $130 for the repair, but eventually she gave me a promo code and sent me to my nearest Apple store. When I got there, they told me my screen could not be replaced because the phone was bent too far and that it would cost $300 to trade in for another phone. I complained and told them that is ridiculous because the screen broke because the phone was made out of ****** metal which is Apple's fault. The guy contacted his manager and the manager approved me to get a brand-new iPhone free of charge. So now I am happy as can be because I just swapped out my cracked iPhone 6 Plus for a brand-new one. So I get home, set it up, and what do I find in the settings? iOS 9.1 so I used Pangu to jailbreak so now I am really a happy camper. Now I just have to wait a little bit longer to jailbreak my iPad Air 2 and I will be set, but at least I have one device jailbroken instead of none.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I have been waiting on iOS 9.2 on my iPhone 6 Plus and my iPad Air 2 for a little while now. A few days ago, I called Apple and I told them that my iPhone 6 Plus screen cracked and that I felt it was a malfunction because I never dropped the phone, and the crack started right where the phone was starting to bend. Originally, the lady on the phone was trying to charge me $130 for the repair, but eventually she gave me a promo code and sent me to my nearest Apple store. When I got there, they told me my screen could not be replaced because the phone was bent too far and that it would cost $300 to trade in for another phone. I complained and told them that is ridiculous because the screen broke because the phone was made out of ****** metal which is Apple's fault. The guy contacted his manager and the manager approved me to get a brand-new iPhone free of charge. So now I am happy as can be because I just swapped out my cracked iPhone 6 Plus for a brand-new one. So I get home, set it up, and what do I find in the settings? iOS 9.1 so I used Pangu to jailbreak so now I am really a happy camper. Now I just have to wait a little bit longer to jailbreak my iPad Air 2 and I will be set, but at least I have one device jailbroken instead of none.
LOL!

I replied over here: https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/4aval6/discussion_i_got_super_lucky_jailbreak_and_apple/

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
To the OP, I didn't notice a question in your post so I'm not sure how to reply or what type of response you're looking for. But yes, a lot of people (myself included) continue to buy Apple products for their amazing customer service/support. They've shown countless times that they will replace devices out of warranty or in scenarios such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nice find!

To the OP, I didn't notice a question in your post so I'm not sure how to reply or what type of response you're looking for. But yes, a lot of people (myself included) continue to buy Apple products for their amazing customer service/support. They've shown countless times that they will replace devices out of warranty or in scenarios such as this.
It just concerns me that OP had his iPhone replaced with another iPhone made of the same ****** metal.

I mean if it's a good enough reason to have Apple replace it - why would OP accept another device made of the same material?!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
It just concerns me that OP had his iPhone replaced with another iPhone made of the same ****** metal.

I mean if it's a good enough reason to have Apple replace it - why would OP accept another device made of the same material?!
This is a good point, if the OP was really concerned about build quality, wouldn't he/she be asking for a 6S plus which has the better build quality? I do now find it amusing that the OP was complaining about the build quality of the device only to get a replacement of the same exact device and is super happy about this.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is a good point, if the OP was really concerned about build quality, wouldn't he/she be asking for a 6S plus which has the better build quality? I do now find it amusing that the OP was complaining about the build quality of the device only to get a replacement of the same exact device and is super happy about this.
Exactly! And since the MODs frown on one word replys I will say Exactly again. :D

MichaelShawJr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2016
I know it sucks sucks that I had to get another phone with the same metal, but they would have never given me an iPhone 6s Plus for free. And the reason why I posted this is so other people could do this if their screen breaks or if somebody wants to complain about their device to Apple to trade it out for a jailbreakable phone they can try that also

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nah he didn't. Apple feel he was annoying and was easier to just get him a new replacement than dealing w a person that sits his ass on an iPhone and expects no bending to happen.
I know. It was a sarcastic tongue-in-cheek kind of comment. :D

Reactions: Carlanga
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.