Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
According to their recent blog post, they are looking for another iOS developer because their iPad app is still not where it needs to be.

*SIGH* I've been putting off buying Ulysses until I saw what their iPad app would be like, but now it seems like it will take even longer and who knows when there will be an iPhone app. I know they have third-party apps that can sync to it, but that's not the same.

I'll keep Scrivener on my Mac for long/large writing projects, but I may jump ship to Ulysses for everything else. :/

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
According to their recent blog post, they are looking for another iOS developer because their iPad app is still not where it needs to be.

*SIGH* I've been putting off buying Ulysses until I saw what their iPad app would be like, but now it seems like it will take even longer and who knows when there will be an iPhone app. I know they have third-party apps that can sync to it, but that's not the same.

I'll keep Scrivener on my Mac for long/large writing projects, but I may jump ship to Ulysses for everything else. :/
Thanks for sharing - so disappointing! I bought an iPad back in 2012 because Scrivener was hyped to be just around the corner.

Suffice it to say that the iPad is getting a bit long in the tooth...I fear that it will probably be obsolete by the time the software is ready for prime time....(2019?)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You end up getting it?

Yeah, I think there will be a lot of people leaving the iPad for the MacBook within the next two years. Because once you buy your 128 GB storage, find your preferred keyboard, and get your apps, it's the price you would have paid for the MacBook on an education discount. Of course you can argue that you can do this and that on an iPad, but then you can make those arguments for any piece of tech in general.

Sad to see the Scrivener team struggle though. I think what will kill them in the end is that existing apps will have gotten more powerful and people are going to continue moving away from WYSIWYG editors.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Sad to see the Scrivener team struggle though. I think what will kill them in the end is that existing apps will have gotten more powerful and people are going to continue moving away from WYSIWYG editors.

I don't know how I feel about that. I really REALLY want to like Ulysses and am running the demo for a second time. I can't indent the first line of a paragraph without the entire text block indenting, I can't even set text alignment! I don't care about export styles since most of my writing will never leave the app. Also, tweaking exporting styles seems like a hassle, but no worse than Scrivener's compile I suppose.

I also think Ulysses is a little pricey for what it offers, but I'm fine with paying smaller developers.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Three of us moved on to Storyist for both platforms, not looking back. Bummed to write that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.