Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Actually I bought 2 of them one for me and one for my boyfriend to replace his iPad Air 2 as well as an early Christmas present for him yesterday. I got him the gold one and I got a silver one, the only 2 iPad Pro 9.7 with cellular they had in stock. They are refurbished ones. It is unbelievable how much faster the pro is compared to the Air 2. Not that the Air 2 was slow at all, it is just the pro seems so much faster. The 4 speakers are nice too, much better sound. I was going to get us 2 of the 12.9 pro’s but the only one they had left was WiFi only, and we both like cellular, the amount of time we spend on the trains.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Actually I bought 2 of them one for me and one for my boyfriend to replace his iPad Air 2 as well as an early Christmas present for him yesterday. I got him the gold one and I got a silver one, the only 2 iPad Pro 9.7 with cellular they had in stock. They are refurbished ones. It is unbelievable how much faster the pro is compared to the Air 2. Not that the Air 2 was slow at all, it is just the pro seems so much faster. The 4 speakers are nice too, much better sound. I was going to get us 2 of the 12.9 pro’s but the only one they had left was WiFi only, and we both like cellular, the amount of time we spend on the trains.
How do you like TrueTone?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
yeah, once I got the pro 9.7 I had to sell the air 2... while I am ok moving from the 10.5 to the 9.7, going back to the air 2 or the mini 4 is a bit of a pain, once you are spoiled with a pro

Reactions: Freakonomics101

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
True Tone is awesome, and the 4 speakers are nice too
[automerge]1574976034[/automerge]
This seems to be the size of the air 2 but seems twice as fast.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
[automerge]1574976034[/automerge]
This seems to be the size of the air 2 but seems twice as fast.
CPU single core for A9X actually is 2x that of A8X, iirc. Also, I think this is when Apple made the switch from eMMC to PCI Express NAND flash.

I've had the Pro 9.7 since release (overdue 256GB upgrade) and I frequently switch between that and the Pro 10.5. With ProMotion off, I don't even notice a performance difference in normal use.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
This thing is quickly becoming a laptop replacement for me. Great battery life, beautiful display, lightning fast, lightweight to carry around and looks beautiful.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Congrats! That was my favorite iPad, it was perfect! It quickly replaced my 2010 MacBook Pro once I got the Smart Keyboard. If it wasn’t for the fact that I got the deal if the century in the Air 3, I would still have it. I gave it to my mom to replace her mini 2 and hp laptop, and she loves it! Great buy in my opinion.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
My boyfriend really likes the one I got him too. He really wanted a 12.9 pro but getting 2 new 12.9 iPad pros at the same time..... omg the price.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
It really is. A 4 year old android or windows device wouldnt be able to handle a new os like these do.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It really is. A 4 year old android or windows device wouldnt be able to handle a new os like these do.

You‘re mistaken. 7-8 years old Windows PCs handle Windows 10 way better than any iPad handles any iOS.

iPad Pro 2nd And 3rd Gen are very good. But still not as long lasting as Windows PCs.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You‘re mistaken. 7-8 years old Windows PCs handle Windows 10 way better than any iPad handles any iOS.

iPad Pro 2nd And 3rd Gen are very good. But still not as long lasting as Windows PCs.
7-8 year old Windows PCs with quad-core i5 or i7, at least 8GB RAM and SSD, sure. Those are probably faster than new, entry level, Atom-based Windows 10 PCs currently being sold.

Iirc, A10X and A12X is when Apple chipsets caught up to mobile current-gen Intel Core-series so it remains to be seen how well they'll age.

That said, for casual web browsing and the like, I'll take the A9X iPad over 4-core Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge with HDD every time. Sadly, we have a lot of those at work and the HDDs really slow down what would otherwise be pretty decent PCs.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
I cannot stand windows, I can’t sync my iPhone to a windows 10 computer and text my boyfriend all day at work so we both don’t get work done, for example. Windows 10 is very confusing and I have to concentrate on my job then so I use my iPad and what don’t get done for work, the other guys just have to stay later to get done.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
7-8 year old Windows PCs with quad-core i5 or i7, at least 8GB RAM and SSD, sure. Those are probably faster than new, entry level, Atom-based Windows 10 PCs currently being sold.

To be honest though like you said having a machine with i5/i7 and SSD is a good machine to buy even now ;).

Iirc, A10X and A12X is when Apple chipsets caught up to mobile current-gen Intel Core-series so it remains to be seen how well they'll age.

Funnily for me the focus on Apple devices is not the chip. I have regular 2018 iPad and iPhone 8. As you can see both devices do not shine with the best chip out there but I also don't have issues with that. I have issues with the RAM management. 2 GB is just not enough for my usage. I cannot say how I would find 4 GB RAM iOS device but the ram management is the culprit for me. I am not worried so much in how well the chipsets will age, but in how the new iOS version will utilize RAM.

That said, for casual web browsing and the like, I'll take the A9X iPad over 4-core Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge with HDD every time. Sadly, we have a lot of those at work and the HDDs really slow down what would otherwise be pretty decent PCs.

Interesting. I am vice versa. If I am outside and have only the iPad with me of course I would use it for browsing. At home however I go to my Windows machine. I hate the tabs/apps reloading in iOS. This is the reason I choose Windows 10 at home. However there is also the ergonomics point. I find it more comfortable to use the laptop on my lap in bed than my iPad.

It is true that it is a pain to sync iOS devices on Windows 10 machine. However I blame Apple and not Microsoft. iTunes for Windows is total BS. It is like Apple wanted to get the reward for worst software out there. The syncing is just PITA in general. It is really not seamless at all. It is so much easier with my Android phone. In contrast it always takes half an hour to do simple things with the iOS devices. It really impacts my impressions as a whole.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Interesting. I am vice versa. If I am outside and have only the iPad with me of course I would use it for browsing. At home however I go to my Windows machine. I hate the tabs/apps reloading in iOS. This is the reason I choose Windows 10 at home. However there is also the ergonomics point. I find it more comfortable to use the laptop on my lap in bed than my iPad.
I've actually found laptops painful on my neck with it sitting on my lap while I browse in bed. The iPads I can use when I'm lying down completely or even when I'm on my side. :D

Again, it's Windows+HDD that I don't particularly like. They're unbearably slow when stuff actually needs to be swapped between pagefile (on slow HDD) and RAM. Works fine as long as the workload can fit in RAM, though.

Sadly, RAM has always been an issue iOS devices. Situation's not as bad now compared to before. I remember losing all my ebooks in Stanza because there wasn't enough RAM to do the database migration after an iOS or app update. Safari now caches webpages (but still not form input) and remembers last location on the page instead of putting you at the top of the pages so there's less hassle even if it has to re-render content.

Apple either needs to put more RAM on the iPad or use storage-backed cache similar to Macs to get rid of the reloads. Question is how feasible is the latter on 32-64GB iPads?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I've actually found laptops painful on my neck with it sitting on my lap while I browse in bed. The iPads I can use when I'm lying down completely or even when I'm on my side. :D

Most probably it also matters how we lie/sit in bed. I am actually lying and my head/neck is fully on my raised pillow when I use the laptops. As a result I have no neck pain. The iPad however is not big enough to sit like that on my lap. As a result iPads cause my far more neck pain then laptops. Desktop is obviously the best when it comes to such issues.

Again, it's Windows+HDD that I don't particularly like. They're unbearably slow when stuff actually needs to be swapped between pagefile (on slow HDD) and RAM. Works fine as long as the workload can fit in RAM, though.

Interestingly I never found HDD slow. Like they are slower than SSDs. I completely agree with you but they are not that slow for me. Now at work when compile code is needed operation than yes SSD are better as an option. However at home I have both HDD and SSD on my laptop (both integrated but the laptop just has slots for both HDD and SSD) and I don't find that big of difference. Or to put it it this way - it does not impact my user experience.

Sadly, RAM has always been an issue iOS devices. Situation's not as bad now compared to before. I remember losing all my ebooks in Stanza because there wasn't enough RAM to do the database migration after an iOS or app update. Safari now caches webpages (but still not form input) and remembers last location on the page instead of putting you at the top of the pages so there's less hassle even if it has to re-render content.

Glad that it has improved a bit but even this is annoying to me. I don't want to wait for this rendering in Safari. It slows me down. Also yep sometimes this reloading caused data loss. I was posting something in a board and I was interrupted for a bit (no more than 2 minutes btw to check something in Skype) and when I went back to Safari it reloaded the tab and lost all of my post. Man was I pissed. Now whenever I know that I will post, I copy the original post from Safari to Apple Notes (I usually quote stuff), write my answer in Notes and then copied it back to Safari. It has a bit too much of steps for me to treat it as a desired workflow. It removes the chance of data loss though.

Apple either needs to put more RAM on the iPad or use storage-backed cache similar to Macs to get rid of the reloads. Question is how feasible is the latter on 32-64GB iPads?

This is where I am completely newbie. What is the difference between iOS and Android when it comes to using RAM? I am asking because my 4 GB RAM Android phone does not reload apps or tabs like that. Even my 2 GB RAM Android phone did not have issues 3 years back. I know that nowadays Android phones have way too much RAM (like seriously my laptop has 8 GB RAM and some phones have 12) and this is not the best answer either as it makes Developers being lazy and relying on the fact that there will be always RAM. I think that both Developers should think about RAM usage and the devices should have enough RAM to not cause issues in terms of user experience.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

7/8 years old windows PCs are garbage in my opinion. So not, you are wrong.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Windows computers are garbage, it’s not the hardware, it is the operating system. Windows 7 was kinda ok, Windows 10 has been a real train wreck. Every update, especially their every 6 month one is horrible.
[automerge]1575829831[/automerge]

I agree. It looks nice and all but it’s not very well optimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.