Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
What exactly will I have to do? Will I have to report to Apple about any flaws in the new OS? I figured that if I downloaded it now, I could get a head start on learning the new software.... I'm looking forward to this. :)

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Welcome to the beta train. Just make sure you’re mentally prepared to experience plenty of bugs, report them and add suggestions if you can to improve the software via Feedback app.
Thank you. Where is the feedback app? I am using the Xcode-beta 2 app, but I am going to wait until later today (it's now after midnight on Tuesday July 10th) to download the new OSX because it takes a long time. :)

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Thank you. Where is the feedback app? I am using the Xcode-beta 2 app, but I am going to wait until later today (it's now after midnight on Tuesday July 10th) to download the new OSX because it takes a long time. :)

Launch Finder and search for Feedback since I believe it is hidden.

Reactions: a-m-k

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
It's possible it will be automatically added to your dock when you install the beta OS. I think it was for me when I beta'd a previous OS.

Also, you don't have to do anything if you don't want. It's not like Apple will send lawyers after you if you DON'T report any bugs you find.

Reactions: martyjmclean

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I have something called feedback assistant..... Would you all need me to provide a screenshot?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
a-m-k --

I've seen your posts and questions before.
I would advise you to NOT start beta testing a new OS on your "main Mac drive".

If you want to play with the new OS, do so on AN EXTERNAL DRIVE that is used only for that purpose.

Otherwise, you may be sorry for the problems that ensue...

My opinion only.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I finally got done updating the beta software. Given my various issues, I don't really see that much of a difference performance wise. My MBP will be six in early December. (I just get the spinning beachball if I type too fast.)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
a-m-k --

I've seen your posts and questions before.
I would advise you to NOT start beta testing a new OS on your "main Mac drive".

If you want to play with the new OS, do so on AN EXTERNAL DRIVE that is used only for that purpose.

Otherwise, you may be sorry for the problems that ensue...

My opinion only.

I agree with this. I would never be a beta tester if I had only one machine, and it was an older one at that..... Beta testing can be very risky!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I agree with this. I would never be a beta tester if I had only one machine, and it was an older one at that..... Beta testing can be very risky!
I'm running the Advanced Mac Cleaner every night before I log off. I am sticking with the theory of the slowness because of the age of my MBP. I seem to have a lot of space on my HDD, but I just don't understand why it's so slow (sometimes).

Reactions: TimothyR734

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
What exactly will I have to do? Will I have to report to Apple about any flaws in the new OS? I figured that if I downloaded it now, I could get a head start on learning the new software.... I'm looking forward to this. :)

1. Backup your current drive (preferably make a bootable copy with Carbon Copy Cloner)
2. Use the beta as you would, normally
3. If you encounter any bugs, report via Bug Reporter/ Feedback Assistant
4. Enjoy the new OS (this one is really good).

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I'm running the Advanced Mac Cleaner every night before I log off. I am sticking with the theory of the slowness because of the age of my MBP. I seem to have a lot of space on my HDD, but I just don't understand why it's so slow (sometimes).

Some of those Mac Cleaner apps are more trouble than they're worth.

The reason you're seeing beachballs is because you're trying to use an OS designed to run more smoothly on Macs with SSDs. The HDDs in old MBPs are pretty slow...

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
IMHO, I think safari is acting up. Sometimes, safari is fine and sometimes when I type I don't see some of the letters right away, is this a fluke with the beta that should be reported, or is it because, like I mentioned before, my MBP is five years old. I keep checking my bar graph and I have plenty of room on my (original) HDD. (I'm going to upgrade to a SSD when it's obvious I have to.

My question is since my MBP is so slow as is, would it be worth it to find a new browser, and if so, what do you suggest? Though, wold it be worth finding one if the current OS isn't the official release?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hello it could be a glitch with Safari, You can use google chrome on your Mac I use it as well as opera, I like opera because I have a iPhone SE and can link with whatsapp in opera as well as the desktop app

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you, how do I get to it to download the browser and do I have to download a special BETA version?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I used a website called softpedia for apps I can't find the App Store on the top of the softpedia page click on the Mac tab scroll down and hit next page until you reach page 3 chrome is there

Eduardo75890

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Welcome to the Beta. If you have a External hard drive try to do a Time Machine backup on it if you want to revert it back to the current MacOS High Sierra

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Welcome to the Beta. If you have a External hard drive try to do a Time Machine backup on it if you want to revert it back to the current MacOS High Sierra
My most recent backup to Time Machine was on June 1st. I accidentally missed July 1st. I think I won't back up to Time Machine until all the bugs that are going on with the beta are filtered out and the actual OS software available to the public is released.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since probably it won't be until late September or early October that Mojave is released, that's an awfully long time to go without backing up your computer and data at all.... This is one reason people recommend that someone not use their primary/only machine for beta testing.....if something really goes sour, what will you do?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Since probably it won't be until late September or early October that Mojave is released, that's an awfully long time to go without backing up your computer and data at all.... This is one reason people recommend that someone not use their primary/only machine for beta testing.....if something really goes sour, what will you do?
I've got my iPhone. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I keep checking my bar graph and I have plenty of room on my (original) HDD. (I'm going to upgrade to a SSD when it's obvious I have to."

I've responded to your complaints of beachballs and slowness many times in your previous postings and threads (as have others).

The time to upgrade to an SSD is... NOW.

You will NEVER "overcome the beachballs" until you do so.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I don't know if I am having a good day with the beta or what, but when I turned on my MBP a quarter past eleven in the morning my time, things ran a bit faster, yes. sometimes when I type the appearance of the word lags for a few words, but if this is a sign of progress with the BETA, I'll take it. Yes, when I shut my MBP down for the night. I had to do a hard shut down (?) and when I turned it back on, I had a window asking me what way I wanted to turn back on. (I think it was either in safe mode or normally.) So, I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be a good day. :)
[doublepost=1531409077][/doublepost]
OP wrote:
"I keep checking my bar graph and I have plenty of room on my (original) HDD. (I'm going to upgrade to a SSD when it's obvious I have to."

I've responded to your complaints of beachballs and slowness many times in your previous postings and threads (as have others).

The time to upgrade to an SSD is... NOW.

You will NEVER "overcome the beachballs" until you do so.
OK. I think I'll give one of my my Mac friends a call.....
[doublepost=1531410546][/doublepost]I just got off the phone with the friend I mentioned, they don't keep up with Apple anymore. :(. I hope I don't make anyone crazy, but I don't anticipate anything catastrophic (like a total MBP meltdown).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.