Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you, I'll try to remember this after I download the final version of Catalina.

Reactions: TimothyR734

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
As much as that sounds like it could be beneficial to me, I've already invested too much into Apple Music. I used to have to buy iTunes cards frequently. Apple Music is much better for me in the long run.

Reactions: TimothyR734

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
My MBP will not charge. I haven’t turned it on this morning because I don’t know how much battery life I have on it. Can I do a command when I turn it on? Would it be worth it to call Apple today?

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I’m 99% sure it’s just the charger. My MBP turns on, but doesn’t charge? Can I turn it back on while it has battery life and run a test of some sort?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are sure it's "just the charger"
Here's your test for that:
Try a different charger

Still the same 2012 (?) MBPro?
It's probably either the battery, or the charger. It's a simple task to try another charger.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Will any one be ok.... I don’t think a charger for a iPad would work though, right?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Assuming this is your 2012 MBPro - how would you connect an iPad charger to the magsafe connector on your MBPro? (you will notice that an iPad has a completely different connector... :D )

Do you get any light on the connector when you plug in your present magsafe charger?

If you don't have access to any other working charger - take to an Apple store, or another Apple-authorized service shop. They should be able to at least test the magsafe charger, and quickly see if the battery appears to take any charge... (even Best Buy might be able to do that!)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm wondering if Apple stores even still sell the MagSafe chargers any more; there might be some difficulty in getting a new one now? I think it would be a MagSafe 2 cable and connector. OK, just took a fast look and they are no longer available at the Apple store online and so would not be possible to buy as new in a retail Apple store. That said, though, the stores would have MagSafe 2 cables available behind the scenes in order to check someone's machine and for the Genius Bar personnel to do any simple repairs. The same would apply in a shop authorized to repair Apple products.

Can't recall now whether the battery in a 2012 MBP is user-replaceable, but it does seem likely that it is actually the battery which is the problem.

Yes, the older iPad uses the lightning connector/cable like the iPhone; the most current iPad Pro uses an 18W USB-C connector. I have at times actually used the 29W USB-C cable/charger from my 12" MacBook, too, and it works fine with that. I have not done the reverse and used the 18W cable/charger with the 12" MacBook, though. One needs to consider two things: whether a connector will fit into the charging port on a machine and also what the wattage of the charging plug actually is, as there are different requirements for different MacBook Pros.

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I’m still here, just on my phone. I haven’t gotten a charger to see if it’s “just my charger”.

As of right now, it’s been two weeks. Oh well, I still have my iPhone.
1580246558279.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.