Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laszlo Berenyi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Hi guys I need help – I would like to understand if there is any way to fix my Mac (AirBook 2018) without losing all the data on it.
The problem: some days ago I turned the Mac radically off during an initial update process (having kept pushed the power button). I know I know, I shouldn’t have done so, I just got scared when the screen became totally black as if it has just turned off.
Having said that, after this cruel shut down, I turned it on again and the system has offered to continue with the upgrade... I clicked ok, then when it finished I turned on and I found the following problem (I made a short video as well to show what we are talking about:
)

The opening login screen was the usual, but when I digited my login password, it got refused. Guys, no way that I forgot the password (I used it every time…). Yes, I checked the keyboard config as well, nothing helped, I tried also to digit my Apple ID password but it did not work either. The following steps will prove that the problem has nothing to do with having forgotten the password but we are probably facing a system failure.
  • After several refuses of the password it is getting offered that restarting the Mac I can enter with my Apple ID. I restart then what appears is the window of “Reset Password … chose the account…” the problem is that no account comes up. The window remains empty… probably because there is no communication with the hard disk (Whatch the video…)
  • I restarted also in recovery mode (Command + R) and having tried to type the “resetpassword” command into the Terminal… but it just brings me back to the same window of “Reset Password…” with the problem described (in 1.)
  • In the recovery mode I tried also to reinstall the macOS but when it asks to choose the hard disk on which I want to install the OS, it does not see any hard drive…
  • I checked also in Disk Utility if it sees the hard drive, but it sees only the 2GB recovery partition, but no files on the 1,5TB hard disk.
Please, watch the video, guys, and tell me if I have any chance to fix this problem without losing everything that I have on my hard disk.

I am living now in Israel, I brought the Mac to an authorized reseller iStore and they made an attempt to restart my Mac from an external drive, but they did not succeed and they told me the only way to fix the Mac is to wipe it completely losing all the data I have on it. They are not an official Apple service and I do not believe that there is no way to solve this problem without losing all the datas… (at least I would like to believe that if no physical error occurred, the problem is resolvable without wiping the system).

junkw

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Haifa, Israel
was filevault active on this drive?

just wondering if you can try some "diskutil apfs decryptVolume" if filevault was active

or you can see what "diskutil" commands are available, maybe to verify disk or whatever..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.