Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
From the home screen, I push the volume down button so its really low; however, when I get notifications they are at full blast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

WDRAM

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002
Settings -> Sounds -> Ringer and Alerts volume slider. You'll notice this is a different volume setting than what appears in control center, which is for things like videos and music played via apps.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
That slider is what changes when I push the vol up and down buttons from the home screen...

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
From the home screen, I push the volume down button so its really low; however, when I get notifications they are at full blast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you adjust the volume with the buttons, does the on screen thing say 'ringer' or 'volume'?

moviefanaddict2

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
NJ

This has happened to me as well. I also noticed one time when I brought up control center, the volume started raising by itself (saw the slider moving on its own). Very strange. It says ringer when I used the side keys.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
No, but that just means I have to go to settings to make the change, correct?Why would going into settings or using the buttons make a difference?

It appears changing the volume does not affect alerts. Can anyone confirm?

braindead5400

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Wisconsin
I've had a similar problem on an off and it seems correlated to how loud I have the regular volume set. If I watch a video at full volume then afterward notifications will be given at full volume. This is regardless of what level the "ringer" is set to and even if I move the ringer volume up/down to try to reset it the notification will still come in at full volume.

The same thing happens when I watch a video with the volume turned way down. Suddenly, notifications are really quiet.

It's as if the phone is mis-associating the regular volume with the ringer/notification volume. It's incredibly frustrating.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Sounds like a bug. Restart your phone, then set it where you want it in Settings again. Test it out.

If it's still buggy, try a hard reset. Hold the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds or so until the phone completely shuts down.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This has happened to me as well. I also noticed one time when I brought up control center, the volume started raising by itself (saw the slider moving on its own). Very strange. It says ringer when I used the side keys.

Are you sure you weren't accidentally looking at the brightness slider instead? It moves on it's own when the ambient lighting conditions change, if that setting is enabled for brightness. Weirded me out too the first time I saw that.

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Same thing is happening to me too. The volume level for push notifications is not changing when the volume of the ringer is changed. It appears that push notification volume level is tied to the volume level associated with the playback of music/videos which cannot be controlled via Settings. The only way to change the volume of push notifications is to go into music and lower the volume accordingly. BUG!!!1:mad::mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same thing is happening to me too. The volume level for push notifications is not changing when the volume of the ringer is changed. It appears that push notification volume level is tied to the volume level associated with the playback of music/videos which cannot be controlled via Settings. The only way to change the volume of push notifications is to go into music and lower the volume accordingly. BUG!!!1:mad::mad:
Well, if that's how it works, you can disabled the "change with buttons" option in Sounds settings and use the volume buttons (which now control playback volume on the phone) to change the volume pretty much no matter what screen you are on.

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Just as an fyi...I went in and toggled the setting to change the volume with the buttons and rebooted the phone. Today, when I lowered the ringer using the buttons, the notification volume was lowered too. Not sure if that really fixed it or not.

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
I've had a similar problem on an off and it seems correlated to how loud I have the regular volume set. If I watch a video at full volume then afterward notifications will be given at full volume. This is regardless of what level the "ringer" is set to and even if I move the ringer volume up/down to try to reset it the notification will still come in at full volume.

The same thing happens when I watch a video with the volume turned way down. Suddenly, notifications are really quiet.

It's as if the phone is mis-associating the regular volume with the ringer/notification volume. It's incredibly frustrating.

I'm experiencing same issues using 8.0.2, has to be a BUG!

The issue goes away if I perform a restart, but then BUG reappears when I use other apps (Skype or Whatsupp for example), even after I quit those apps manually.

hctWien

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Vienna, Austria

Amazing. That's it. Thanks. :)
Also all my notification alerts were very low in volume, but ringer was loud, the slider in Settings>Sounds was set to middle. But, as it turns out, my Music volume was set to low. Changing it to Loud also made my notification alerts loud again, irrespective of the setting in Settings>Sounds.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Amazing. That's it. Thanks. :)
Also all my notification alerts were very low in volume, but ringer was loud, the slider in Settings>Sounds was set to middle. But, as it turns out, my Music volume was set to low. Changing it to Loud also made my notification alerts loud again, irrespective of the setting in Settings>Sounds.

Odd. I often have music sound all the way down where it's off or maybe at just the lowest bar so that it doesn't play something loudly accidentally, and yet my notifications are as loud as always.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have the jailbreak widget tweak "Volume Mixer" installed and there are five levels to adjust:

1. Ringtone
  2. Audio/Video (Speaker)
  3. Phone Call (Receiver)
  4. BT Headphones
  5. BT Headset

Halo_2

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2019

This is happening to me in iOS 12.3.1

Laurrr

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
Sorry to activate this thread again, but this started happening to me after getting an iphone 11 pro and updated to 13.1.2.
Any solutions to this bug?

Reactions: intelinc

ipek144

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2019
Same in here. After i get iphone 11 pro and updated 13.1.2 same thing happening to me. Notification volume, keybord volume, lock screen volume level is high even ring tone volume is set to lowest level. What is solution?

JonBOY26

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Australia
I think I might be able to provide some assistance here. I've been digging around into an issue with my lock sound volume and it appears that the underlying bug is also related to a bug with notification volume. I just made the following post on the Apple forums:

This is a quick post to bring together information on sound issues that is currently spread across a few different threads.

Some users are reporting issues with incorrect notification volume in iOS 13:

https:/https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250642428
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-turn-sound-low-notifications-still-high-please-help.1798024/

Some users (including myself) are reporting issues with incorrect lock sound volume in iOS 13:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250764992
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250667635
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250642428

It appears that both issues are tied to the side button.

My lock sound volume bug is alleviated (not fixed) by either: (1) going to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay and disabling 'Double-click side button', or (ii) going to Settings > Siri and Search and disabling 'Press Side Button for Siri'.

Similarly, users with notification volume issues are reporting that both the above actions alleviate their notification volume issues.

Note that these are not permanent 'fixes', as you have to disable some of your phones functionality to restore normal sound behaviour. Additionally, the sound button functionality is re-enabled after software updates, so you'll have to re-disable them after software updates.

Please report the bugs to Apple so these issues finally get some attention.

Apple Discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250933927

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.