Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
I’ll never understand why some people feel the need to talk down to someone because of their choice of cellphone.

There’s no right answer. Both have their pros and cons. An unbiased person can admit what the other OS does better. But what cracks me up is when people won’t acknowledge this or play it down. For example, someone on the Apple forum tried to tell me it take android forever to get features and they’re always things iOS already has. Ugh what? That would be like an android person saying they hold their value better than iPhones.

That’s unfortunate. I wonder if that’s because android hasn’t taken the time to add and test these features properly or if it’s because the hearing aids provided by the VA have some sort of partnership with Apple.
From what I have read, Google is adding in the required hardware/coding (don't remember exactly what is required) in new hardware with Android 10. But this requires all the hearing aid manufacturers to update their hardware and software as well, so it will be years before Android is on par with Apple in this department.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I should stress that I am not deaf "yet", but HoH. A lot of gunfire, jet engines and helo turbines without earplugs did me in.

That’s pretty much exactly what ruined a friend’s hearing! He worked in aviation for a long time, and that was it. :( I don’t know what percentage, but it’s significant.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
You could be right about it not being RAM related, it just seemed like it was. It was as if something was causing it to hang and become unresponsive to touch input. I could still swipe from the bottom or top and get notifications, but I could not tap on anything, either on the home screen or in the notification tray. I couldn't even make an emergency 911 call if I wanted without turning the phone off and back on again. Then it was fine. It would happen at random intervals. I didn't add any new apps recently, so don't think it was app related. Just seemed to be as if the phone was trying to access something, preventing input and just stayed there. Almost like RAM was full.

I'm just speculating. It happened a few times over the space of a week. That was enough for me to call it quits. YMMV. And don't get me wrong, the Note 10 is a great phone overall. Just isn't going to be my daily driver.
Is it possible that an updated app could be causing issues since you havent installed anything new? I had a MobileRX app that was crashing on me constantly after an update, so I deleted it.

I assume you have probably already gone to device care-->app issue history and unfortunately I am knew to Android, so not sure what else to look at.

So far my wife and I haven't had any issues to try to troubleshoot beyond that MobileRX one and I found an alternative for that app that works just as well.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Enjoy your new phone. I bought a used S7 Edge months ago. It was just a test to try an android device. The one thing I've learned, Samsung flagships are not the laggy dud that people on this forum make them out to be. The device was great, now, I've purchased two Note 10+ and have no intentions of ever going back to an iPhone. I had no problem paying over $3000 for two phones. Totally worth it. That being said, paying $1500 for a phone that is labeled "pro," but starts at 64GB and 4GB RAM? Hell no. Once you break out of the ecosystem, it's like you broke out of a cult. You can't help but think, "what was I thinking, putting all my eggs in one basket?" Why was I so proud to pay more for a phone that is so lacking in hardware? BTW, save your, "iOS is so optimized, it doesn't need crazy hardware" BS, and the "you get updates forever" BS. Those talking points used to work on me, but I now know it's all tribal talk. To anyone that honestly wants to try something else, just go out and do it. Use the device to its fullest, give it a real try. Nothing is perfect, so don't have unreal expectations. Give yourself some time to adjust to a new way of using your device. Only then, will you have an informed decision. Nothing worse than wanting to try something else, and letting a bunch of other users discourage you with their own biases.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Enjoy the phone op, I like mine a lot. I switched from iOS many years ago and never looked back. For every issue android has iOS has its own drawback. The new iPhone 11 pro actually has me very envious on the hardware front with that amazing camera system and crazy battery life, I just can't deal with iOS, little things like not being able to access camera settings from within the camera app and not being able to have full control of the homescreen icon layout just drive me crazy.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
So i was a die hard fan of apple for 8 years since iPhone 4 and i also used Macbooks, Apple watches, and AirPods for years, i got sick and tired of Apple charging high prices for tech which kept getting extremely worse each year!!! Agreed they were brilliant the first few years, not anymore. So i invested in Samsung. Bought a Note 10+, Galaxy Buds, Samsung Gear S3, I must admit, its a brilliant phone! I must say, no offense to anyone, but its (overall) better than Apple its MUCH lighter than apple, looks better, feels amazing, there is no need to pay for everything! Im leaning to the android fanboy life now! The ONLY thing i do miss about Apple, is the keyboard. Android is so much easier to live with day-to-day.
Apple is just ripping us off ever since after the X
My previous collection below...
e8ca700fa07b586d34f59960220753d5.jpg

It’s funny seeing people proud of getting a bloatware phone along with a forked version of android. At least get a pixel. Google is your hero now, not Samsung.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I've been a long time iOS user and even I feel like switching. It's like every year the temptation gets stronger. It's ridiculous when Apple is charging a thousand dollars for a phone with an AMOLED display when there are $150 Android phones with them. I get that the build and OS is better, but c'mon. Other $1000 phones have way more.

BTW, why do these Samsungs get discounted so much? People don't buy them? I don't get the logic behind this. Every time there's a new flagship Samsung, people go crazy over them, so why give discounts so soon?
I used Samsung a20 and have iPad and iMac and iPod touch.Phone just for Call and Whatsapp .I Don’t Need a Grand Phone just for call.nokia flip in the future maybe

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It’s funny seeing people proud of getting a bloatware phone along with a forked version of android. At least get a pixel. Google is your hero now, not Samsung.
The Note 10 is a great phone with lots of satisfied customers. Ticks all the boxes for most that want a non Apple phone. Comments about bloatware are just as boring as those who still talk about Lagwhiz.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The Note 10 is a great phone with lots of satisfied customers. Ticks all the boxes for most that want a non Apple phone. Comments about bloatware are just as boring as those who still talk about Lagwhiz.
Yep. It always comes from people that aren’t familiar with the current status of Samsung’s software and are going off of stuff they read on the internet or 5 year old facts about Touchwiz (which hasn’t existed for years).

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
[QUOTE="Cyberguycpt, post: 27800983, member: 9218
. I always hear if you don’t like something about an Android phone there’s app for that like the keyboard but I would prefer that the one that comes with the phone be the best experience possible than always have to search for 3rd party solutions.
[/QUOTE]

So.why is always the biggest bugbear with iOS users that you cant set default apps... and guess what, those default apps wouldn't be the ones apple provides out of the box...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yep. It always comes from people that aren’t familiar with the current status of Samsung’s software and are going off of stuff they read on the internet or 5 year old facts about Touchwiz (which hasn’t existed for years).
This reminds me of Android users who get on here talking about backing up your iPhone with iTunes. My experience with Android is about that old but I have many friends with Android phones. I have one who is a die hard Android fanboy and Apple hater but he bought an iPad because well Android hasn't quite got the tablet thing right. I use this as an opportunity to have some fun at his expense. All in good fun and not bullying or anything like that. Just because he has the iPad doesn't stop him from saying "I can't do stuff on this Apple garbage" What stuff I'll ask... Just stuff you know. He'll be playing Pokemon on both and while the iPad will just work the Android phone won't load or start messing up. I'm there like hmmm it's working on the iPad... interesting LMAO

In all serousness both Android and iOS are good choices for different reasons and uses.
So.why is always the biggest bugbear with iOS users that you cant set default apps... and guess what, those default apps wouldn't be the ones apple provides out of the box...
You can change some default apps but it's not like Android in this sense. That's just the nature of the OS. iOS is less customizable but just works and Android is more customizable and works most of the time. Everything is a trade off so you just have to pick the one that works with you best.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
This reminds me of Android users who get on here talking about backing up your iPhone with iTunes. My experience with Android is about that old but I have many friends with Android phones. I have one who is a die hard Android fanboy and Apple hater but he bought an iPad because well Android hasn't quite got the tablet thing right. I use this as an opportunity to have some fun at his expense. All in good fun and not bullying or anything like that. Just because he has the iPad doesn't stop him from saying "I can't do stuff on this Apple garbage" What stuff I'll ask... Just stuff you know. He'll be playing Pokemon on both and while the iPad will just work the Android phone won't load or start messing up. I'm there like hmmm it's working on the iPad... interesting LMAO

In all serousness both Android and iOS are good choices for different reasons and uses.

You can change some default apps but it's not like Android in this sense. That's just the nature of the OS. iOS is less customizable but just works and Android is more customizable and works most of the time. Everything is a trade off so you just have to pick the one that works with you best.
Did you really just say "it just works" lol really!!!!! And android only works some of the time.... just think about that...

When android isn't working, by your measures, a good percentage of the time to be deemed a nuisance.. samsung for example would never sell a repeat phone to a repeat customer.... am i suggesting that you are talking.. what's the word... oh yes.. RUBBISH....
I’m not talking about bootleg games.
Neither is he....

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Did you really just say "it just works" lol really!!!!! And android only works some of the time.... just think about that...

When android isn't working, by your measures, a good percentage of the time to be deemed a nuisance.. samsung for example would never sell a repeat phone to a repeat customer.... am i suggesting that you are talking.. what's the word... oh yes.. RUBBISH....

Neither is he....
I think you misread what I typed. Take a breath and re read it. It's just about phones so no need to get all worked up. I said it works most of the time. Samsung has excellent customer loyalty so that doesn't even make sense. Just because a product isn't perfect doesn't mean customers won't buy it. Nothing is perfect.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
I think you misread what I typed. Take a breath and re read it. It's just about phones so no need to get all worked up. I said it works most of the time. Samsung has excellent customer loyalty so that doesn't even make sense. Just because a product isn't perfect doesn't mean customers won't buy it. Nothing is perfect.
Nothing is perfect you say? But you've already slagged your mate about iOS just working, and android maybe, maybe not? Make your mind up.fella...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
It's better than Swype and the stock iOS keyboard. I've tried them all. Gboard's predictions are second to none.
Anecdotal. I've used GBoard since its early days and have used in on myriads of Android phones, and its prediction are no better than day 1. iOS is not any better either, but none of them are any good for me. Swype used to be awesome, but then it's more of the same as the rest now.

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2019
What do you do with files on iCloud? Do you miss iOS?
I am Galaxy user from S3 and I had S3 S5 S6 S8+ S10+ and this year I bought iPhone 6S to acces my iCloud files as I am using iPad and Macbook because I cannot acces on my Galaxy to the iCloud files on desktop...

I use it because it is great and I never miss a file like on other platforms but I see a problem with accesing to it with a non Apple device.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I've had no problems with Dropbox. If I had non-Apple devices that's what I'd use instead of iCloud drive.

In fact, I use it anyway, as iCloud drive does the typical Apple thing of dumbing everything down and won't even allow me to see a list of all my files with their file extensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.