Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandw350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
The 12" ibook is a lot in a little case, but for the same $ (or less if comparing to 14" ibook) you can cobble together a faster machine with better video and superdrive, 15" monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse. You give up a battery and all-in-one design. If you only need limited portability--to move around the house and transport to other places occasionally (no classes, coffee houses or airplane use)--is the "new" mini w/ 1.5, 64, and 5400 drive a much better buy than either of the ibooks?

Fender

macrumors regular
May 9, 2004
Toronto, CANADA
bandw350 said:
If you only need limited portability--to move around the house and transport to other places occasionally (no classes, coffee houses or airplane use) ... a much better buy than either of the ibooks?

In that case, I would say it's a much better buy. No question.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Fender said:
In that case, I would say it's a much better buy. No question.

Yes, I have to say I agree. The Mac Mini's new specs sound like they match the 12-inch Powerbook, with the exception of the video card being different.

c2104338

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2005
Newcastle, Australia
a faster machine with better video

I'd take the 9550 in the iBook over the 9200 in the mini anyday, regardless of how much VRAM it has. If the upgrade is true and the HDD gets bumped up to 5400rpm, the GPU will be the only thing from stopping me, and many others, from buying a Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.