Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Guys, did someone manage to get Desktop&Documents Folders to be back up in iCloud? When I click it - it says - iCloud Desktop cannot be enabled as not all of your files can be saved to iCloud.
Doe sit mean because the total size of my documents folder is more then 50GB (my iCloud storage plan )?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I wish Apple would give us more iCloud storage available 5GB is not enough... Maybe 10GB double it!

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Why not just check how much space your documents and desktop folders take up on your computer and compare with how much space you have left in iCloud?

Yes, the Documents folder was about 70GB (because of Parallels virtual machine default location). I have 50GB iCloud. So, after moving some files to other place - now the option works

Reactions: grahamperrin

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
One question... That documents folder is the real documents folder? Or the iCloud Drive folder?

If it's the real documents folder, that means that now we have 3 folders syncing to iCloud Drive?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
One question... That documents folder is the real documents folder? Or the iCloud Drive folder?

If it's the real documents folder, that means that now we have 3 folders syncing to iCloud Drive?
What do you mean iCloud document folder ? It is the real ON - no in iCloud Drive I have two more folders - Documents and Desktop. Both folders are simply duplication of the real iMac folder. I have only one iMac. It is interesting if you have two iMacs with different desktop/documents files maybe it will merge them in

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
What do you mean iCloud document folder ? It is the real ON - no in iCloud Drive I have two more folders - Documents and Desktop. Both folders are simply duplication of the real iMac folder. I have only one iMac. It is interesting if you have two iMacs with different desktop/documents files maybe it will merge them in

On El Capitan you have a iCloud Drive folder, a desktop folder and a documents folder. What I was asking is if we maintain those 3 folders, if the iCloud Drive folder it's still there.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
On El Capitan you have a iCloud Drive folder, a desktop folder and a documents folder. What I was asking is if we maintain those 3 folders, if the iCloud Drive folder it's still there.
Yes. Three folders are there. iCloud

For iMac - I se enow the Documents and Desktop folders have been moved under the iCloud Drive and disappeared from the local disk... See attached. And I can access the same from iPhone. And if add or delete something from the desktop folder in the iPhone include drive - it is changed instantly on the iMac.
But I have to test if saved a very big file on the desktop (exceeding my iCloud free space) - what will be the feedback

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 10.30.43.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 10.30.43.png
    23 KB · Views: 593
Reactions: Itzamna

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Yes. Three folders are there. iCloud

For iMac - I se enow the Documents and Desktop folders have been moved under the iCloud Drive and disappeared from the local disk... See attached. And I can access the same from iPhone. And if add or delete something from the desktop folder in the iPhone include drive - it is changed instantly on the iMac.
But I have to test if saved a very big file on the desktop (exceeding my iCloud free space) - what will be the feedback

And since they seem to be on the "mobiledocuments" folder (since they disappeared from the local disk, one can assume they are all on the same folder iCloud Drive is on the El Capitan, the mobiledocuments inside ~/Library), i wonder how apps that use the Documents folder will react and adapt. Games for example, there are tons of games that use the Documents folder to save games.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
And since they seem to be on the "mobiledocuments" folder (since they disappeared from the local disk, one can assume they are all on the same folder iCloud Drive is on the El Capitan, the mobiledocuments inside ~/Library), i wonder how apps that use the Documents folder will react and adapt. Games for example, there are tons of games that use the Documents folder to save games.
For the time being all is fine. The apps that use Documents simply save the data on the Documents that is located on the iCloud Drive

Reactions: Itzamna

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I have it as it should be on my Macbook (documents and desktop folders), but on my iMac I get an error message if I want to set it up like that (iCloud Desktop cannot be enabled as not all of your files can be saved to iCloud). Any idea what's going on there?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
I have it as it should be on my Macbook (documents and desktop folders), but on my iMac I get an error message if I want to set it up like that (iCloud Desktop cannot be enabled as not all of your files can be saved to iCloud). Any idea what's going on there?
As I mentioned above- simply you should free up the space.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Plenty of space available.... Might it be Parallels on the iMac?
You should check the size of the desktop and Documnets folders. And to sum up with the MacBook folders. All four should be less then your iCloud space. Parallels virtual machine file is saved by default in the documents.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
You should check the size of the desktop and Documnets folders. And to sum up with the MacBook folders. All four should be less then your iCloud space. Parallels virtual machine file is saved by default in the documents.

Does your documents folder, now located under iCloud, take up any space on your computer or has that been "optimised" to take up less space than the full content of your documents folder in iCloud?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
Does your documents folder, now located under iCloud, take up any space on your computer or has that been "optimised" to take up less space than the full content of your documents folder in iCloud?
I think all files are located physically on the iCloud only. And no local copies, no local used space.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2014
And another note - does not matter I set the TimeMachine to NOT archive my iCloud - it still archive the Desktop and Documents folders (which are located on the iCloud)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… in practice it is almost the same. While sharing the desktop and documents (even without clicking to optimize the drive), the disk space is optimized and removing the data from the local Drive.

I doubt that alone, using iCloud Drive for Desktop and Documents (specifically: without optimised storage) causes removal of all or part of any user data from those areas. I expect the copies of user data to be local and available immediately, not on demand.

I have not tested, I might do so later. In the meantime, from another tester: "… I updated a machine with a bunch of files on the Desktop and in the Documents folder, and when I upgraded it asked me if I wanted to store these folders on iCloud as well. …"; that was as well (no hint of instead).

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I think all files are located physically on the iCloud only. And no local copies, no local used space.

Damn that sounds freakin' fantastic! Imagine having 1 TB of data accessible in your regular documents & desktop folders on your 256 GB SSD Mac. Wonderful!

How long delay does it take when you open a file (since it needs to download it)?

Reactions: TurboPGT!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.