Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheOne888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Hi all,

My partner inadvertently backed up then erased her iPhone is the process of transferring to a new phone. Unfortunately she hadn’t realised the encrypt backup box was checked and doesn’t ever remember setting one up.

Is there anything which can be done? She’s got keychain on her iCloud and iPad, is there anything there that might help?

I’ve even tried paying for some software but didn’t work.

Aside from trying to guess the password (we’ve been trying all night!!) is there anyway way to recover the information? It’s photos of our kids that the worst thing! :-(

Any help appreciated.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi all,

My partner inadvertently backed up then erased her iPhone is the process of transferring to a new phone. Unfortunately she hadn’t realised the encrypt backup box was checked and doesn’t ever remember setting one up.

Is there anything which can be done? She’s got keychain on her iCloud and iPad, is there anything there that might help?

I’ve even tried paying for some software but didn’t work.

Aside from trying to guess the password (we’ve been trying all night!!) is there anyway way to recover the information? It’s photos of our kids that the worst thing! :-(

Any help appreciated.

Not that I am aware of... it's kind of the point of encryption.

FWIW, she must have done the ecrypted backup previously, and that checkbox remains checked for future backups... and IIRC, it requires that future backups be encrpyted for that device once its done the first time. And there IS an option to save the encryption key/passcode IN your keychain, but you have to enable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.